HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Best scope: less than ~$60 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/78710-best-scope-less-than-60-a.html)

termiflyer 11-10-2004 09:13 PM

Best scope: less than ~$60

I'm looking at spending less than ~$60 on a scope for slug hunting, Winchester 1300 12 gauge. I'm leaning towards a red dot. Any suggestions?

KonaBoy 11-11-2004 01:59 PM

RE: Best scope: less than ~$60

I'd save up a bit more money for a scope. Cheap optics aren't the best thing. I know from experience[:@]

Paul L Mohr 11-11-2004 03:14 PM

Its hard to beat the bushnells when you are on a budget, but for a shotgun you are going to want something with some eye relief. You could get a BSA Catseye for around 60 or 70 bucks, they have 4 inches of eye relief, but I think a shotgun scope might run a bit more than 60 or so dollars.

I have a BSA red dot as well. It works ok, not the best thing in the world but hasn't broken in 4 years. I have had it on my bow, a paintball marker and my turkey gun (12 gauge mossberg with turkey loads).

I'd look at a low powered shotgun scope myself, I think you would like it better.

Paul

North Texan 11-11-2004 04:44 PM

I agree with KB on this one. I haven't had much success with cheap optics. They haven't held a good zero and the inferior quality always comes through when I need it least. Especially when something peers out into the open right at the end of legal shooting hours.

deerslayer223 11-11-2004 08:44 PM

Maybe a bushnell 3-9x40 Sportsman they run pretty cheap.

BOWHUNTERCOP 11-12-2004 06:41 AM

for about $40 more you can get yourself the Bushnell Trophy seris 3-9x40

etothepii 11-12-2004 06:45 AM

If you're going to buy a budget scope, I would get a Bushnell. Check out Optronics scopes too. They are cheap, they have a $10 mailin rebate, and an UNLIMITED lifetime warranty-- not just against "defects in workmanship," but against any damage, even if it's your own bonehead fault.;)

Cordite 11-12-2004 07:47 AM

Hi TERMIFLYER . . . not sure there is a best for $60, but there are some fair possibilities . . . some things to consider:

1. If you just have to save money, a Cabela's Pine Ridge 2.5X shotgun scope $64.99 . . . it is made in China . . . geez . . . what isn't anymore? BUT Cabelas will back it to the hilt. I would rather have this than a BSA. Suggestion . . . fixed scope is adequate . . . not so much to rattle loose and you sure don't need high magnification at shotgun shooting ranges.

2. Bushnell Banner 1.5X - 4.5X variable - $79.99 at Cableas, but shop around. Banners are good scopes for the money. Upgrade to a Trophy [recommend] for $20 more at $99.95. I will shop around and see if there is a better price . . . I think there is. :D

The Banner 1.5-4.5 is $69.95 at SWFA in Texas . . . plus shipping of course

Paul L Mohr 11-12-2004 09:08 AM

I'll second the trophy series by bushnell. I've owned most of bushnells cheaper models and the trophies are pretty decent scopes for the money. That is pretty much my stopping point with bushnell now. I didn't think about the pine ridge models. And it doesn't matter what scope you buy at cabela's, they will back it the same way. It doesn't have to be one of thier own scopes, just buy it from them.

And I have owned several BSA scopes, never had a problem with any of them. They also have great customer support from what I understand. I would however pick a Trophy series scope over a BSA though. The trophies seem to have better resolution and light intake.

Paul

termiflyer 11-12-2004 12:25 PM

Everyone - great feedback ... I appreciate your knowledge/experience/candor!

While we're at it, can you recommend a certain type of base/rings? Looking around, it looks like the default is a Weaver style, but that's about all I've seen.