Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Banner or 8-point

Old 11-11-2004, 03:05 PM

Default RE: Banner or 8-point

I just looked at cabela's website and found several scopes for 150 and under that would work for you. Simmons even has a varmint scope that is 109 bucks and looks better than the 8 point. I used to have an 8 point and never really had any problems with it functioning. The optics just were not that hot in it and it was only a 3x9x50, and it fogged up on me in the winter.

The BSA Platimum target scopes are fairly decent for the money as well.

What I meant in the above statement was that usually you pay more for higher magnification, or for better optics. If you want both you better break the check book out. I was thinking that rather than get a cheaper 4x12 with iffy optics you might be better off spending the same or a little more on a 3x9 with better optics. The difference between 9 and 12 isn't that big really, and with clearer optics the 9 power will actually look better cranked up. It will also be brighter.

Something to think about I guess. I would say go somewhere and look thru some scopes before you buy one. Some are obviously better than others when you look thru them. The 8 points are among the worst I have looked thru as far as clarity and light gathering, even with a big objective with them. Don't be fooled into thinking you need a huge scope. Some 32 mm scopes with good coatings are brighter than cheap 50 mm scopes. They just don't look as cool is all.

Paul