Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Elk gun

Old 10-12-2004, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Elk gun

If I wanted a new rifle, that has slight recoil for Elk, other than my 270.

I think I would look into useing a 7 mag. With a heavy 175 gr bullet you wont be disapointed. It will do the job on just about anything in the US.

I have taken game from whitetail to Oryx with it.

That would be MY first choice.

hunter338.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:43 PM
Typical Buck

Having another rifle is just like and extra piece of cherry pie can't get enough. The 270win is sometimes underrated for larger animals but it does it's job everytime. Just like anyother caliber with a decent shot placement.

I use just four main rifle out of my collection, the 270win, the 300win mag, the 375h&h and the 22-250. The rest sit in the safe until I go play at the range. hmmmmmmmmmm a new hunting caliber. I'd have to go with something I'm totally unfamiliar with like a 50bmg. lol.

I think a 300win mag might appeal to you if you want to step up alittle on the 270win in the power class. But its totally not neccesary.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:33 PM
CD
Spike

Thanks for the help,I'll see what shoots best from my gun.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:49 PM
Typical Buck

I have to agree with the others that have posted responses. I would use the 270 and stoke it with premium ammo/bullets. There are any # of controlled expansion loads for the 270. To name a few, Nosler partition, swift A-frame, fail-safe, Barnes-X, & others. I would use 140 gr as a minimum weight and 150 would be preferable.

On the other hand if you want a new rifle I would look to the 300 Win. Mag. or the 300 WSM. Out of these I would fire a premium load in the 180 gr. class. Buying a 30 cal will still require good shot placement to take an elk. If you buy a new rifle practice and become proficient with it before you take it hunting.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:06 PM

300 Win Mag with 180 gr Nosler Partitions.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:56 PM

Dont listen to all the guys saying how great an elk cartridge the 270 is, it is not a great elk cartridge. It is barely ADEQUATE for elk, but is adequate. Colorado bob said he used an 06 for twenty years w/ no problems and I'm sure he did, but if he had used a 270 he would have ran into problems at some point. Especially considering the bullet choices offered twenty years ago. If your only going to hunt elk a few times, then get premium bullets and use your 270, if you plan on going often or for other larger than deer sized game go w/ a 7rem mag or 300win(or an 06). All are a significant step up on the power end and recoil is still not off the charts.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I used a 270 to harvest 2 bull elk and 2 bull moose so it will suffice. However like mentioned the right bullet for the job is required (like a NP, Failsafe, Barnes X, etc in the 140-150 gr size) and might I add restriction must all be applied with a 270 and tougher game. This means distance and angle of shot taken. If one can do these then the 270 will certainly be adequate for your elk hunt...if not you should be honest with yourself and look for a bit more umf. 7mm mags or 300 wins are not a huge jump in recoil and will give you more options in distance, shot angles and bullet choice. I use 160 gr premium bullets out of my 7 rem mag and haven't had a single problem arise with any elk or moose I have encountered.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:38 AM

I dont know about the 270 being barley ADEQUATE. And the hype about premium bullets is overrated too i think. I jsut got back from a hunt where i took my 270 win and i shot a 6X6 at 390 yds, no lie, we checked with a rangefinder. It wasnt a perfact broadside shot, he was going away, but i hit him in both lungs and the spine, the bullet lodged next to the skin on th far side, making a huge mess of his chest cavity. And the great thing was, i was shooting the cheapest bullets one the market for the 270. 150 gr Remington Core-Loks. They shoot great out of my gun and i saw no reason to try the expensive brands.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:54 PM

sharpshot - sometimes its better to be lucky than good. if you broke his spine a223 would've put him down.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:36 PM

I dont know that the 50 gr bullet of a 223 would have done the job. If i would have hit an inch lower i would have missed the spine and just got the lungs, the only differance would have been we wouldnt have found the bullet. He was still a very dead elk. The 270 has the same ballistics with a 150 gr bullet as the 300 does with a 180 gr bullet. It puts very nearly the same size hole in the lungs or other places. The only place that i could see it mattering is if you shot it in the shoulder. And yes i think at the long range then it would probably break the shoulder and maybe get one lung, but not both. But that is called shot placement. If you miss it doesnt matter what gun you use.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.