Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Need Help With Encore Slug Barrel Grouping *UPDATED WITH PIC* >

Need Help With Encore Slug Barrel Grouping *UPDATED WITH PIC*

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Need Help With Encore Slug Barrel Grouping *UPDATED WITH PIC*

Old 09-29-2004, 10:01 AM

Default Need Help With Encore Slug Barrel Grouping *UPDATED WITH PIC*

I recently purchased a 12 gauge slug barrel for my Encore. I have tried several different brands of sabot slugs and the best grouping I can get is 2-1/2" at 50 yards. Groups at 100 yards are inconsistent and pathetic. [:'(] Has anyone else had simliar results? I am getting ready to call T/C and complain but would like some feedback from other users before doing this. Examples of ammo tried are Rem Copper Solids in 2-3/4" and 3", Rem Core Lokt Ultra, Win Partition Gold and Platinum Tip and Federal Barnes Expander. This is frustrating and getting expensive. [:@] Any responses would be GREATLY appreciated.

Steve
Old 09-29-2004, 03:18 PM

Default RE: Need Help With Encore Slug Barrel Grouping

Try a box of lightfield's. They have given me the best accuracy yet. I am using the lightfield lites 12ga 2 3/4" with 1-1/4oz slug. Zeroed at 100 yards, they are -4.3" at 125.
They are wonderfully accurate and don't nock the snot out of you. If that doesn't work, email T/C and see what slugs they recommend, and what their thoughts are. Hope this helps.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:15 PM

Thanks longrifle. I might try some but I have been leary of the lightfields. I have heard many people that really like them but my buddy was shooting them out of his Mossberg 695 and they were actually hitting the target sideways! Not accurate at all but I bet if they hit a deer that way it wouldn't know what hit it! LOL
Old 09-30-2004, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Did your barrel somehow escape the factory without being rifled? Seems like you should be doing better than that.

Only thing I can thik of is a scope/mount problem, if you are shooting with a scope that is. If the scope is mounted correctly, and is holding its zero, it has to be ammo or barrel related. You tried a bunch of ammo, so it is starting to sound like the barrel. You didn't buy this thing to get the kind of performance you can get from a smoothbore with rifled slugs, so let T/C know what's up. In my experience, they will take care of you. If you ship the barrel to them, they will check it out.

Oh, is it mating to the gun properly? Does it have any more playthan your other barrels?
Old 09-30-2004, 06:13 PM

I am using a mossberg 695. Federal hydra shocks were keyholing out of my gun. Every bbl is a little different. You might want to make sure your scope mount screws didn't come loose. If they did a little loc tite works wonders. If not, contact T/C and see what they have to ssay.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:13 PM

Well, I called T/C and they said I was using the wrong scope base. They have one designed especially for the slug barrels so I went ahead and ordered it. I will install that base and go back to the range to see how it groups. I'll keep you updated. BTW, the part number for the 12 gauge base is 9949. It is on page 58 of their online catalog.
Old 10-17-2004, 05:05 AM
Spike

I have the Encore 20ga.I shoot clover leafs at 100yds. with 3" Federal with the Barnes.AWSOME.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:11 PM

Default RE: Need Help With Encore Slug Barrel Grouping *UPDATED*

I felt like posting an update to this thread. I finally got good groups with the barrel. Here is what I had to do:

1) Bought and mounted the new scope base.
2) I had to buy high rings because the scope objective was hitting the new base.
3) Bought Bellm's oversize hinge pins. I got a 1x and a 2x, the 1x worked well.
4) Bought Bellm's stiffer lock bolt springs.

After doing all the work, I got 1" groups at 50 yards with Winchester Platinum Golds. I didn't have time to go out to 100 yards but most of my shots have been under 100 lately. I went out Thursday to do some late scouting for a new location. I was carrying my Encore and an 8 pointer jumped up. He ran 60 yards and then stopped. Here is a picture of him.

Old 12-11-2004, 09:40 AM

Default RE: Need Help With Encore Slug Barrel Grouping *UPDATED WITH PIC*

From the looks of that picure, you don't need any more help! Way to go!
Old 12-11-2004, 10:11 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Need Help With Encore Slug Barrel Grouping *UPDATED WITH PIC*

G2, check out my post in Guns. My gunsmith RA Brown in Westminster has a serious beef with T/C. Seems this years guns have had trouble grouping. Lot of flaws with the barrel. He is surprised cause he has always been a huge fan of the Encore. But some barrels had bad cut on the crown, really rough rifling, and just wouldn't group. You might want to contact him. I think he had a lawyer contact T/C over it. He has like 5 barrels in his shop and is wanting them to replace the barrels.

Quick Reply: Need Help With Encore Slug Barrel Grouping *UPDATED WITH PIC*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.