HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Savage mkII 22lr? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/74195-savage-mkii-22lr.html)

30-06lover 09-28-2004 09:17 PM

Savage mkII 22lr?

I was thinking about tgetting this gun for squirrel hunting. If anyone has any knowledge on this then plz reply. Thanks!

semi 09-29-2004 12:27 PM

RE: Savage mkII 22lr?

i have that gun. If it's the same model, i have the bolt action single shot. It's a nice gun for the price. i bought mine for the fact it can shoot any 22 ammo. shorts, L or LR..

mistahmojoryan 09-30-2004 08:47 AM

I have owned a Lakefield MK II for 15 years now (Savage Arms Canada is a subsidiary of Massachusetts' Savage Sports Corp. and was formerly Lakefield Arms before SSC bought them...I'm pretty sure that's correct anyway). It should be the same rifle.

I've had problems with the "banana" style clip; ie, I'd load it w/ close to 10 rds and they'd all FLY out! Annoying! I have since found a clip that works very well. Cheap trigger w/ lots of creap and pretty stiff. Conversely, it's one of the most accurate .22's I've ever owned and it's been neglected and abused a good deal (in my younger years, of course;) ). That's pretty much dumb luck but you might get lucky.

Hope that helps a bit.

BTW, I was just reading an old "product test" article (1998) about the Savage Mark II G Rimfire Sporter. I could scan and email it if you'd like to look it over. Let me know.

30-06lover 09-30-2004 06:38 PM

Yea id really appreciate that! thanks.

usens 09-30-2004 09:27 PM

i got one from wal mart 3 months ago very acuerat nothing worng with it had no proplems so far

pharaoh2 10-01-2004 05:51 AM

I've got one too. It's really not that bad. I bought mine with the standard barrel, and wood stock. After I stripped the crap that they put on for stain, it looks not too bad. I thinned out the fore-end, made it a little slimmer without the front checkering. Did the whole ebony fore-end tip. And used a special walnut coloured finish. Now I have to say it is very attractive, and shoots very well. My only problem has been as of late. On some shots, the extractor won't pull the case out of the chamber. I've used my knife to get them out, and they look fine. My next option is to try and use different ammo, or maybe even be sure I put the ammo as far back in the clip as possible. I think the extractor's not grabbing as it goes in. But it should be an easy fix.

mistahmojoryan 10-01-2004 07:29 AM

ORIGINAL: 30-06lover

Yea id really appreciate that! thanks.
Cool. Just PM me your email addy and I'll send it off ASAP.

Nunk 10-12-2004 06:29 PM

ORIGINAL: mistahmojoryan

I've had problems with the "banana" style clip; ie, I'd load it w/ close to 10 rds and they'd all FLY out! Annoying! I have since found a clip that works very well. .
I hate the clip. Where can I get a regular clip (5 shot standard)? I have been looking all over. Thanks. NUNK

pharaoh2 10-12-2004 11:20 PM

You can buy five shot mags anywhere the guns are sold. I if they don't have one, they can get one. Or, depending on the shop, most guys prefer the ten shot. The heavybarreled guns come with a five shot, just swap it out if their up for it.

ba_50 10-17-2004 07:49 AM

Basix has a replaceable trigger for the Savage.

tofer 11-10-2004 10:21 PM

i had one a while back
i liked it it was accurate and light but i traded it
i had the black synthetic with 10 rd clips and in bolt action
would make a great small game gun
i bought 4 xtra clips and carried all loaded with me ( keeps me from reloading the clips over and over )
got mine a walmart 99$