Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Browning Gold Shotguns

Old 08-11-2004, 10:46 AM
bigcountry

Default Browning Gold Shotguns

I use a 1187 for duck, and skeet, and pheasents. I use my old 870 for turkey. But 2 years ago, got me a Browning Gold slug gun. I was delighted when I recieved it. It has taken 6 or 8 deer in two years. And I have been using it exclusivley in firearms season since it shoots so well. But recently have seen alot of post people saying they hear people being dissatisfied. Now since it is a slug gun, I only have put 100-150 sabots down the barrel, since they are so expensive. And being a deer only gun, I would never uncover any problems like with estate skeet loads, or with 2 3/4 upland game loads. And we all know a slug has more than enought umph to eject a shell. I would like to hear a description of problems you have encountered. I recently was going to buy a 28" shotgun barrel for it for another duck gun when I take people with me, but if everybody is encountering issues, I might pass. It appears to be the smoothest action I have ever seen. And the gas operation has no o rings to fall apart, and makes the recoil of 3" slugs alot more mind than my 870 slug gun. And the quick load feature would be nice for ducks. Many times I could have used that with my 1187.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-11-2004, 11:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Browning Gold Shotguns

The Gold can have problems just like any other semi auto. From my own experince with over 15 different semi auto makes and models owned between my buddies and myself. The Brownings have been better than any other brand/model. In fact with three different Golds not one has had a single jam. The oldest being about 8 years old. My 3 1/2" model has cycled 7/8oz HV loads on the rare occasion I've tried them. Mine is used for waterfowl mainly here in Michigan. It's seen rain, ice, mud and worst of all beach sand. They get mostly good reviews on the other sites as well. I would put the 28" barrel and use it your self for waterfowl. Make the others use that 11-87.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:45 AM
bigcountry

Wow, Worc, with all the talk on gun forum, about them having problems, you would figure more would chime in with specific problems. I was expecting at least 10 posts.

I am beginning to think, alot of these fellas never had a Gold but overheard their friend, who overheard the guy at the gas station, that you need to pay 900-1200 for a reliable shotgun. I may be wrong.

I might go ahead and pick up the barrel and make my own decision. If anyone is going to find its weak point, its me in the cheasapeake bay with salt water, 20 degrees, 2ft waves, and water everywhere.

Old 08-13-2004, 11:09 AM
Fork Horn

I will have to agree with you. Like I said any gun brand/model can have and will have problems from time to time. The Browning Gold seems to have a less percentage than most. All I can say is that the three Gold's in my group have been great. We have had a few other make/models that have been 100% reliable also. I will admit none of them have seen anywhere near the number rounds fired as the Gold's. Some of the earlier Gold's did have some problems that have been long corrected.
I'm serious about getting that 28" tube and having someone else use the 11-87.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:19 PM
bigcountry

Well, I probably will. The 11-87, has not been a bad gun. Its had lots of ammo put thru it. I just learn to carry an extra o-ring in my pouch.

I do have a bulge at the end of my barrel with my 11-87. I mean, I have shot hundreds of rounds of steelshot but thru a modified choke. I may have fired 10 rounds thru with a full once to try it. And every time I shoot heavy shot or turkey shot its thru a extended extra full turkey choke. I am not sure it this bulge is normal. You can't see so much as feel it when its hot or running a oil rage up the barrel.

Old 08-13-2004, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

BC my experiences with other Browning Autoloading Shotguns other then A5's have pretty much soured me on buying any new Browning Shotgun. I haven't heard many if any complaints concerning the Gold though ..very competitive market at the price Brownings sell for.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:37 PM
bigcountry

Well, I don't blame ya oldelk. I would be pretty salty myself. And I would bet you really did have and experience these issues. But you know as well as I alot of people talk and have no experience with what they are saying. Gun and ammo myths spread like wildfire, and the damage they cause are almost unrepairable even if a company does the right thing and corrects an issue.

Old 08-25-2004, 05:50 PM
Spike

i bought a gold hunter 12 ga the second year they were out. i love my gold, her name is sweetie! she does a good job at the turkey shoots, is a great bird gun, and a great trap,skeet gun. i reload and make some pretty soft loads with hodgdon clays, and it has never bit a shell or jammed EVER!!!! this one will be handed down to my son,can never see parting with her!
Old 08-25-2004, 10:56 PM

my dad has a 12 guage gold and loves it. he has also shot my 11-87 and says he prefures his gold over the rem. and i really can't tell you if i like it because i have maybe only ever put a dozen rounds though it. however i can tell you i like the feel of it. maybe one dad when we are shooting trap good ol' dad will let me use the gold.......maybe
Old 08-31-2004, 08:07 AM
Fork Horn

I bought the Gold 3 1/2 the first year it was out. I loved the wood and lines. In the upland fields it was just what it's name claims "Gold". In the swamps of the Mississippi for duck hunting- Jammed constantly. I keep my firearms perfectly clean- so much so my wife thinks I'm addicted to nitro solvent. The problem of the Gold jamming wasn't due to neglect. I may have bought a lemon that doesn't represent the entire line.
Two weeks after the duck hunting disaster I traded the Gold in for a Benelli M1 Field and never looked back. The Benelli has never jammed in 2 1/2 years. I have had M1 in the muddiest and wettest swamps, snow, rain and the dusty heat of the SD pheasant opener last year. I still like Brownings but I personally recommend Benelli's.

-Mathewsconquest2

Quick Reply: Browning Gold Shotguns

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.