Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Help me decide which scope to buy. Zeiss Nikon or Leupold >

Help me decide which scope to buy. Zeiss Nikon or Leupold

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Help me decide which scope to buy. Zeiss Nikon or Leupold

Old 07-02-2004, 12:44 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Help me decide which scope to buy. Zeiss Nikon or Leupold

I will buy that. the extra 0.18" won't buy you much. As for myself, I find the 44MOA adjusments pretty good on teh Leupolds. Thats alot. I had some burris's that only had 22MOA. You had to buy thier rings just to center enough to get dynamic range. Didn't like that too much.

Old 07-02-2004, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

bc, are you aware the 3-9x40 Conquest has an adjustment range of 64 MOA (well, inches really, but MOA is close enough)? It's not something that's all that important to me. I'll never need that much adjustment range, but it's there nevertheless.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:29 PM
Typical Buck

I have the Zeiss 3.5-10X44 and I'm extremely pleased with it's performance. Tex...I was in the same boat as you about 2 years ago and asked for opinions. The only thing I really found out was people knew alot more about light refraction and whatnot than what I wanted an answer for (not to cut you smart guys down) but I think people get way to caught up in things that you aren't really looking for. Some guy's were really helpful, (Stbble & Skeeter being a couple of them). Ultimately, I looked at all the scopes I was considering, and made my decision after that. Everyone here has great opinions but listen to those who are using the product. With that I'll just say from my time with my Zeiss, I'm extremely pleased, it is clear and captures plenty of light for the typical hunting hours I hunt. It stood up tremendously well in the bitter cold (had 2 buddies, one with a Remington scope the other with a Bush. 3200) and it handled the cold better by far. I previously had a Leoupld and it was good, but I must admit my Zeiss is just a step above. My vote is on the Zeiss. Hope you have fun with it! JDinAB
Old 07-02-2004, 02:01 PM
bigcountry

Yea, I noticed that 60MOA or so adjustment on the conquest. I plan to try one in the future. I am not sure why one would need that much adjustment either even with target turrets. I mean I need only 8MOA adjustment to get to 600yards with my 300RUM.

Having alot of "reliable" adjustment is nice when you are using something other than signature series rings and when mounting your scope, you run out due to the rings or whatever. Thats the prob I had with my burris scopes.

Old 07-02-2004, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

You guys sure are making me look harder at the zeiss. So far there has been nothing bad said about it.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tex, You have lots of information to digest so good luck in your purchase.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:16 PM

The Zeiss is more expensive. If it was me, I would spend the extra money. You will never be sorry that you did. With the other you might, and then again you might not. But the Zeiss is a sure bet.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Tex, my only complaint (very minor) is the Conquest use of plastic adjustment caps. They have a reason for it but to me it just cheapens it a bit, so there is my only bad thing to say about the Zeiss. Wouldn't let it bother or hinder my desicion though, I really think for the money it is a winner in scopes of today.

If the Gold went on a diet it too would be a hard one to over look, but the fact so many guys tote their CF's it is a bit too bulky to be considered a real front runner for the masses. In todays age we have become reliant on lighter, stronger, faster technology..even though stuff with more meat may in fact be as good or even better we have become a convience group even in hunting.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

PS my buddy went through the same process with the same scopes and picked the Conquest. He listen to every arguement, opinion, thought and formed his own descion on which one was the best to him. While all 3 are no slouches he felt the Zeiss offered everything HE wanted in his next hunting scope.

Key word being HE, sub that with you and like I said before you'll be and feel just fine.
Old 07-03-2004, 05:40 AM

As far as the 50mm and 56mm objective lenses? you guys just keep on talking bad about them, what the hell....I'll even agree with ya'! That way, I will continue to see those things that yall with those 30mm-40mm scopes have NEVER seen! I own 3 with 56mm lenses and 1 with a 52mm lens. If you ever hunt with one....you will understand.

Quick Reply: Help me decide which scope to buy. Zeiss Nikon or Leupold

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.