Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

What Type of Shotgun?

Old 06-24-2004, 02:31 PM

Default What Type of Shotgun?

I am looking into purchasing a new shotgun for deer hunting and would like to buy used. Does anyone have any input as to why brand/model I should look into or is anyone selling one?
Old 06-24-2004, 03:10 PM

Default RE: What Type of Shotgun?

Remington 1100
Old 06-24-2004, 03:11 PM

Also, welcome to the boards. I see this is your first post. We hope you find lots of help here...
Old 06-24-2004, 03:22 PM

Thanks for the welcome
Old 06-24-2004, 04:07 PM

I may be buying an old Remington Mohawk 48 12 ga. to do some shooting with.

Any opinions on this gun?
Old 06-24-2004, 09:39 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: tk587

I am looking into purchasing a new shotgun for deer hunting and would like to buy used. Does anyone have any input as to why brand/model I should look into or is anyone selling one?
In order to help we need some more information. Will you be hunting deer with slugs or buckshot? If using buckshot then get a 12GA. If you will be using slugs then a 20GA is more than enough. Also some states specifically state "Smooth Bore" while others allow use of "Rifled Barrel". Where are you located? Will you be using the gun just for deer or other game as well? For what you pay for a used gun you could go to WalMart® or Big5® & buy a new Mossberg®, Remington®, or Winchester® pump.

Give us some more information & all the guys & gals here will try to help you. Regards.....
Old 06-24-2004, 11:04 PM

I don't consider myself an expert, but I have been hunting deer for 35 years now. My present deer gun is a Remington 870 Express, 20 gauge, youth model with a rifled barrel. With heavy winter clothes on and sitting still, the shorter stock comes up very easily when cold and stiff. With a 20 ga. sabot slug, you have more than enough for a clean kill, without the recoil, heaviness and bulk that a 12 ga. entails. Can be bought new for less than $300 on sale at Dick's Sporting Goods when on sale in the fall. Good luck, be safe, and shoot straight!
Old 06-25-2004, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't know how you could go wrong buying a Remington 870 or 1100..lots of after market barrels available for it as well.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:36 PM
bigcountry

For deer, all you need is a pump. The only issue is a pump kicks those 3" slugs alot more than a auto. A good recoil pad can help. I have took alot of deer with my old 870 but didn't have a scope. A few years ago, I got a Browning gold with a cantilever barrel cause I wanted scope mount and only trust a cantilever. It is just as accurate and more than the 870, except its an auto. Thing is out of 9 or so deer shot with it, I have yet to need the auto feature. So I kinda wish I would have just got a cantilever barrel for the 870 and bought the browning for duck only. Now duck you need the auto IMO.

Old 06-25-2004, 03:10 PM
Typical Buck

Go to Jaqua's Fine Guns and look thru the field guns. They had a couple of pumps, Ithaca and Remington that came with two barrels, a rifled barrel and smooth vent rid with intercahngable choke and for a real good price. They alolow a three day inspection on all guns and are a reputable dealer.

Quick Reply: What Type of Shotgun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.