Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 What age should a kid get a gun? >

What age should a kid get a gun?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

What age should a kid get a gun?

Old 06-17-2004, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What age should a kid get a gun?

The age of the child is less impartant than the maturity of the parent. Children with guns need adult supervision. There are plenty of adults I now that I would not want to have guns. Forget about their kids.

Assuming the adult is responsible and aware of all that's involved, then I say when the child is interested, it's time to begin exposure to guns. A toy gun or unloaded air rifle is a good starter to practice fireams safety. Then move 'em on up as their behavior warrants.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think there is any set age for a kid to get a gun unless its in the low single digits. Mine is starting to like them and he just turned 11. He has shot .22 rifles before starting at age 8 but at this age now he can go hunting as long as I am with him. Next year we will be sitting in a blind somewhere in Alabama waiting on the right deer.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:21 AM

maturity is the main concern. Try giving her a unloaded BB gun or pop gun to carry while the two of you hunt. Watch her and use that to teach her field safety, awareness of muzzle direction, fingers off the trigger until ready to shoot, make sure she knows what the results are on the business end also so she doesn't take that for granted either(make sure she understands dead is forever, but also a natural part of nature). When she has all the basics down let her go w/ a singleshot 22 but realize that you should stay w/ her and not carry a rifle yourself that way you can completely focus on her safety. After awhile she'll get it down and you can start carrying again but still stay close behind her. You can take the long shots let her have the easy ones. My son and I did this and hes safer w/ agun than most adults I know. Its also good to teach them the parts of the firarms. the basics at first(trigger, chamber, barrel, stock)then get more detailed. Good luck keep her interested.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:56 PM

i say go for it. She will understand the saftey as long as you do get lax in constant reminder of what are the rules.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:00 PM

Wow! The advice was a little different then I expected. Thank you.
My main concern is for her being over at a friends house and one of them pulling out Dad's gun. I am a little queasy about whether she will be showing them all about the gun, and not leaving like I have taught her.
I wonder if this happened to any of you while you were a kid? It happened to me. I am very grateful that nobody was hurt with all the hot shots showing off Dad's guns.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:17 PM

there is no question that the kids will be kids and try to impress one another given the opportunity.however,once taught,safety will prevail!
Old 06-17-2004, 09:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would be willing to bet you that those kids were strictly forbidden to ever touch the guns no matter what. My son, like myself, were allowed to handle firearms any time we wanted as long as my an adult was / is in the room. We would always have to make sure that they were unloaded and never point them at someone.

This gives children the ability to famaliarize themselves with the firearms and the way that they work and all of the safety rules that go along with them. It also lets the children get out that desire to play with them all the time cause after a little while it is no big deal to handle dads guns.

It's kind of like having 20 ferarri's sitting in your garage. You wouldn't have that desire to go play with one any chance you could get. Or me wanting a 50BMG or a .338 Lapua really BAD. If I had one the desire to play with one any chance I could get would not be there.