Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 VINTAGE BOLT ACTIONS (NAGANT 7.65X54R OR MAUSER 8MM) AND WHY >

VINTAGE BOLT ACTIONS (NAGANT 7.65X54R OR MAUSER 8MM) AND WHY

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

VINTAGE BOLT ACTIONS (NAGANT 7.65X54R OR MAUSER 8MM) AND WHY

Old 07-04-2004, 10:37 PM

Default RE: VINTAGE BOLT ACTIONS (NAGANT 7.65X54R OR MAUSER 8MM) AND WHY

Haven't had a chance to try a Moisin-Nagant, but having fun with my Mausers( Czech, German, Israeli, Portuguese, Swedish, Yugo) and one Swiss K31. All are great shooters and there is a lot of interesting history to read about. Eventually hope to get a good Mosin-Nagant to check out.

One can never have too many rifles!
Old 07-04-2004, 11:32 PM

I feel well armed with both! Both rifles will deliver a bullet where you want, IF you can do your part. Some of the wartime Soviet production rifles can be rough, and out of spec. I'm not wild about late wartime German produced Mausers, either. Slave labor and getting the crap bombed out of you are not conducive to quality. Compare a Mosin-Nagant that is to spec, and a Mauser that is to spec, and there is little to choose between.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:17 PM

I have never fired a Nagant but a friend who has one said it was a typical Russian weapon rugged, easy to build and soldier proof but not a real tack driver. I have a 96 Swedish Mauser that was sporterized by Kimber and it will shoot better then me with Rem Core-lokt 140gr. Today during lunch I went to a gun shop (it was near the cleaners) and saw a Ross straight pull in .303 from the Canadian Army. I hadn't seen one in a long time. I have heard that if you put the bolt together wrong the bolt won't lock up it will spit the bolt into your face then someone else said that it's hard to do that and the action is very strong. Does anyone have a Ross?
Old 07-16-2004, 02:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

I like the ballistics of the 7.62x54R, but I don't enjoy shooting the rifle. Mauser wins hands down between the two. But the Springfield sits at the top of vintage rifles, at least in my book. And you can't beat that .30-06!
Old 07-16-2004, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

My choice is Mauser for 2 reasons.
1 I can not use iron sights (my eyes) so I install scopes ,the mauser you grind the striper guides and drill&tap .The Nagant has a split bridge so scope mounting is tough and expencive.
2 If you want to change the cal. the mauser is easy .

If you have good eyes and like to shoot ironsights the Nagant is accurate.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd take the Mauser and turn it into a custom rifle.

I USED to have a Mosin-Nagant M44 Carbine. Bought it for $75, and that's all it was worth. It was at best 4MOA accurate with any ammo I could reasonably afford (this was before I started handloading). But the one word that summed up the Mosin-Nagant shooting experience the best is...

CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!

That is to say that it took about a country mile of rough 6lb trigger travel to fire the darn thing.

And as an added bonus, the straight bolt handle that rotated from 3 o'clock to 12 o'clock prevent the practical mounting of a scope, unless one wanted to spend 2/3rds of the cost of the rifle or more to have the bolt handle bent. But what's the point on a $75 hunk of Soviet made crap.

It was fun and cheap to shoot, though, in a ghetto-fabulous sort of way.

Mike
Old 07-29-2004, 04:33 PM

I have a Mosin-Nagent which is a very well built rifle for it's purpose in it's time...on the battlefield . Mine is a wall hanger , but it's well recieved by other gun nuts that like militria weapons . My favorite of them all is the Lee Enfield , hands down ! I have 2 of these ol'boys , one is a No.4 Mk1*Longbranch which was made in Canada and the other which is another No.4 Mk 1* made in the USA by Savage. Select Lee's from both these manufacture's where reputed as the best sniper rifles that came out of WWll ...the No.4 Mk1(T). Alot of venison has been put on the BBQ using these rifles and to note..I put down a cow moose ( Aprox. 1100lb ) with one shot . That animal folded on the spot. I can get somewhat long-winded about it all...lol...but without a doubt , My fav. is the .303brit Lee Enfield