Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Going back to my Nikon

Old 05-17-2004, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default Going back to my Nikon

I bought a new Leupold VX-III and it could'nt hang with my 338 RUM. I knocked it from togetherness.. So I put my little Nikon Buckmaster back on it until I can get my old Redfield Golden Five Star back from my dad.
I guess that will learn me from buying anouther Leupold scope again. I guess I will send it in, get it fixed, and put it on my 22 mag.

Leroy.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Going back to my Nikon

Hunter 338 what power range was the scope?
Old 05-19-2004, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

It is a 3.5-10X40 .

Just woundering why.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

I had to send my first two luepolds back as well. The last three have been pretty good. Anything mechanical can go to pot.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Never had a problem with a Leupold to date and was looking at a 4.5-14x40 vs Zeiss 4.5-14x44 . What did Leupold's customer service say when you reported it?.. a 338 RUM should not be a problem for a Leupold unless it was a faulty one that slipped thru. Anytime you go 300 win mag and above in recoil you have to expect a shorter scope life.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

They told me to send it in and they would fix it free of charge. But that is not the point . For me I have always bought here in the U.S. Until Redfield sold out. So I went looking for different U.S scope makers. Found Leupold, Burris. Tried the Burris. It was ok. So I went and bought me a Nikon, Have allways heard good things about Nikon.

I fixed up my rifle and thought that I would take and buy me one of these fine fancy Leupolds.

Well it is my third one. You know : MY FIRST!!
MY LAST!!
AND MY ONLY ONE!!

Not saying that they are bad scopes. Super clear and their Cust. Serv. didnt even ask why or what happend to it.
They just said to send it in and it would be fixed for free.

I was seriously thinking of trying out a Springfield Armory scope but dont know as of yet.

Thanks
hunter338.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

You may want to reconsider the Springfield Armory scope
Old 05-21-2004, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can get a bad scope,gun or anything from any manufacturers.Leupold's are generally a great scope. Apparently one slipped through QC.Because you got a bad one doesn't mean they're all bad.Leupold does stand behind their products.Have them repair or replace it. Then try it.I think you'll receive a different impression of Leupold's...............

Ruger Redhawk
Old 05-22-2004, 06:36 AM
RPL

If you poll serious big game hunters that have the money to buy whatever scope they want, I bet the majority choose to hang Leupolds on their rifles. And this includes hunters that go after dangerous game whose lives may depend on their scope working properly.
I think that you are being short sighted if you rule out using Leupold because of one bad scope.
Old 05-22-2004, 07:49 AM
Fork Horn

It like this for me.

I have never had any problems with Nikon or Redfield scopes ever. Redfield sold out so that left me with Nikon scopes. I have always heard that Leupold was the cream of the crop for scopes. All most all of my friends use Leupolds. So I bought one, and like I said it is nice and clear. But why would I want to send it in to be fixed and put it back on the gun that broke it?

I had a gun like that once. I wanted a Ruger # 1 in the Lam. SS. So I bought one.
I opened the breach and I couldnt get it to close after I opened it.
I took it to the gun smith up here and he found a birds nest of things wrong with it.
I got it fixed but never could depend on that rifle again to go out and hunt with.
So I sold it.
I am not saying that I will never buy anouther Ruger Rifle again. Just not anouther # 1.

hunter338.

Quick Reply: Going back to my Nikon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.