HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Need Help with a .45 M-1911 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/61467-need-help-45-m-1911-a.html)

SilentStalker8mm 05-16-2004 05:50 PM

Need Help with a .45 M-1911

Hey guys lookin for some help here,
I'm lookin for a M-1911 .45 cal and I don't know what brand would be best to get (Thompson, Kimber, Springfield, etc...). I'm lookin for somethin nice that can be used for personal carry and such. Price isn't much of an option but i'm also not gonna get something for thats $1,200 or more, unless its customized which I do plan on doing anyway. If anyone could give me a reliable maker one or two for comparison would be even better. I'm lookin to keep the size normal no barrel extention or shorter than the origional, Thanks everyone

P.S. if anyone knows a site that I can look at custom grips and other customizing nessesities :D that would be great

x-mountie 05-16-2004 07:20 PM

RE: Need Help with a .45 M-1911

stalker: there are .45's listed in the classifieds. Have a look.

Are you looking for a 1911, or 11-A-1? It may be worthwhile to look for a used one (good condition) and have it built to your specs. At least that way you know what you have. :)

mlaubner 05-16-2004 08:03 PM

SilentStalker8mm,
Welcome to the boards:)
There are a lot of Kimber folks on these boards and they are indeed great guns, but since you mentioned that you would be interested in doing the "custom" work your self, which usually entails picking out a bunch of options and having someone else do the work, I might give the Springfield or Colt "G.I. Issue" models a hard look. Both are in the $500 price range and I'm sure aare shooters right out of the box but those models can always stand a little extra "love".
Good Luck

SilentStalker8mm 05-16-2004 08:51 PM

Hey thanks for the info, i'll say either or on the model, I don't truly know the difference between the 1911 and the 11-A-1, the 1911 I believe is the Military version but like I siad before when I finish with it its not gonna be mil spec :D. X-mountie what did you mean by the classifieds? they have them on this site? I am pretty new to the pistol area of firearms. all I know is I shot a friends kimber and loved it, some sort of special addition thing and like I mentioned I want to customize it. Oh and mountie, how can I have it built to my specs if I buy it used nd how can I ensure the quality? thanks again, any model names or websites that you trust would be appreciated

Briman 05-16-2004 09:42 PM

There are only subtle differences between the 1911 and 1911A1-
The military replaced the 1911 with the 1911A1 in the 1920's.

The 1911 has a flat mainspring housing and a landyard loop.
The 1911A1 generally has an arched mainspring housing and no landyard loop. For all practical purposes, they are the same pistol.

The Kimbers are good, but I think a bit pricey and have the stupid Shwartz safety. The Colt 1991 is a good basic pistol and I actually like them better than the Kimbers. I bought a Springfield Loaded model (blued) for about $675 mainly on the decision that it doesn't have any of the stupid firing pin block safeties, but has a safety that can lock out the mainspring housing that can easily removed. I've been really happy with the pistol and it still hasn't had a single problem yet after 500 rds through it.

bigbulls 05-17-2004 12:00 AM

If I were gonna get one and customize it myself I would go for the Springfield GI model.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/pr...-1911-GI.shtml

There is a local guy in Denver that just had them on sale for $375.00. So you can get them pretty inexpensively. This would be a good option if you're gonna customize it yourself.

SilentStalker8mm 05-17-2004 04:28 PM

Cool thanks a bunch, One other question, You said a guy in Denver was sellin em cheap, I live in PA can you purchase a gun from another owner and have it shiped like you can ammo from UPS? or is there some legal things you have to do and if so would it be cheaper to just go to ACE Sporting Goods and find one (which will probably be around 500 or more i'd expect).

hunter338 05-17-2004 04:40 PM

If money is no problem then why not go ahead and buy a kimber and trick it out the way you want it.

The thing about the kimbers is that there is going to be little that you can do to improve them. They are awsome awsome guns.

Do let us know what you end up doing though.
One more thing though. Yes you can ship pistols through the UPS. Just tell the guy to take it apart and ship it to you in differant boxes. Perfectly legal. Becouse it is parts not the full pistol.

Good Luck
Leroy

SilentStalker8mm 05-17-2004 09:18 PM

I'll let u all know what I get its probably going to be a Kimber Custom II or something similar. I've been lookin for an hour and still can't find any site that sells/makes custom grips, only one I can find is like Ivory and Elephant tusks....no thanks. if anyone has gotten em or knows a site I can check out plz let me know
http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review..._Custom_II.htm
here is the website for the kimber let me know what you guys think
oh hey as I was typing I was searchin as well and came across this site, sounds and looks good......check it out
http://www.jardinescustom.com/custom1911s.html
anyone been here before?

bigbulls 05-17-2004 11:10 PM

Yes you can ship pistols through the UPS. Just tell the guy to take it apart and ship it to you in differant boxes. Perfectly legal. Becouse it is parts not the full pistol.
That is entirely wrong and could get you jail time if caught.

Yes you can ship guns in the mail, UPS or whatever but there are stipulations. You can't simply take it apart and put it in the mail.

You must go to a gun shop and have them give you a signed copy of their FFL. You must mail it along with your payment to the shipping dealer. The shipping dealer keeps the copy of the FFL for their records and ships the gun to the same shop that you got the FFL from. This shop will call you when the gun arrives and then perform the required back ground check and paperwork. After the background check you go home with the gun after paying the store a transfer fee which is usually $10 - $25 for the paperwork and background check.

You can ship all of the parts except for the controled part, which is usually the frame or receiver, with normal shipping methods. The controled part is the part that has the sereal number stamped on it. At least this part must be shipped in the manner above and the required background check and paperwork filled out.