Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Need Help with a .45 M-1911 >

Need Help with a .45 M-1911

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Need Help with a .45 M-1911

Old 05-19-2004, 06:34 PM

Default RE: Need Help with a .45 M-1911

Thanks man I don't need arrested. Anyway I found this one site while I was browsing around this guy makes customs w/e u want/need apparently and I figured let yaw all know about it u don't already.......
http://www.jardinescustom.com/custom1911s.html
Well no new news I sent this guy an email cause it a toll to call so waiting on a reply. I know I’ve been asking a lot of questions some may be rather dumb but I honestly have little knowledge of handguns side from how big a hole a 50 can make =). If anyone has any idea of things I could have added to my 45 w/e I get it let me know. I'm thinking on night sights (not sure what other name they are called) but not sure what else.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ooh them Jardine pistols look very very nice. Built on Valtro pistols that cost $2500 without the customizations.
I didn't see any prices on the site, but judging by the looks of them and the high level of customization on them, they probably won't let you touch one unless you have $5000-$6000 burning a hole in your pocket[] Heck some of the knives they have pictured with the pistols are worth more than a Springfield Milspec

If you want to go to a good website that might help you find the right 1911, check out http://1911forum.com/
Old 05-20-2004, 03:36 PM

question, that site, would that all work for the M1911A1 as well? And that is expencive as all ****, you sure thats what it would run?
Old 05-20-2004, 05:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Those 1911's are not your every day, run of the mill 1911's. Kimber anit got nothin on those.

Everything on those is hand fitted custom parts. You won't find anything "stock" about them. There is a heck of a lot of work that goes into those 1911's.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:03 PM

ok guys thats way outa my price range so hows bout this one on the site u gave me The M1911 Pistols forum, i found this is it any good? something i could customize a bit?
http://www.m1911.org/full_models.htm its the 2nd one down called Auto-Ordnance's section revised.....the Stainless Steel one should be first to come up what ya all think of that?
Old 05-20-2004, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would stay away from autoordinance- stick with Colt, Springfield inc, and Kimber if you want a quality handgun at a decent price.

If you want a basic model I would go with a Springfield Mil-spec.
Here's a site where a pistolsmith has done some serious torture tests on a springfield G.I. milspec- its a pretty good read if you follow his links. http://thehighroad.org/showthread.ph...threadid=81964

The standard milspec is pretty much the same pistol as the G.I. milspec, except with better sights, a lowered and flared ejection port and grasping grooves on the front of the slide- they sell for around $450.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:07 AM

I have a buddy who is a pretty good target shooter w/ 1911's. He buys Auto Ordinance and Llama pistols. He then strips them down, keeps the frame, and throws everything else away. He then buys parts from Wilson Combat and others and rebuilds the pistols into competition guns.

If what you mean by "customizing one yourself" is similar, go for it. Either gun can be bought for around 250.00 to 350.00 dollars. Then you can order the parts you want, and fix it up the way you want.

Of course, by the time he's done, he's got about as much tied up in his guns as you'd spend if you got a Kimber or something similar all ready to go.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:10 PM

hey Danny, thanks for the info i just took a look at the wilson combat homepage and that place seems to have a ton of addon/modifications you could get. got one question if I bought say a M1911A1 base for 350 how hard is it to "Customize it" by ones self? I have never done something like this before is there anything I should keep in mind or is it simply take one piece off and replace it with the new one?
Old 05-21-2004, 11:16 PM
Typical Buck

I might suggest if you are going to all the trouble to buy a base model 1911-A1 and then strip it and throw away the "spare" parts,...just go to Brownell's or Midway's home page and see what a "matched" frame and slide cost. Maybe a Caspian or even a STI or something like that. It will be totally custom as you have selected the parts.

is it simply take one piece off and replace it with the new one?
It can be, but generally these parts are slightly oversized to be fitted, by a competent gunsmith for a nice tight fit. Which is the reason for my earlier suggestion. If you have to visit/pay a gunsmith anyway, might as well drop off a bag of parts and have your gun fitted together with the parts you want the first time.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen some of the homejob customizations- parts poorly fitted, and probably unsafe. The parts you can order are sometimes described as 'drop-in' pieces which might work but will probably fit loosely. Unless you have the techinical knowhow, you should just leave the 1911's alone. I wouldn't even be comfortable sending mine to a neighborhood smith for a trigger job let alone have a safety fitted.

Quick Reply: Need Help with a .45 M-1911

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.