HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   chokes (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/61415-chokes.html)

Bowshooter48 05-15-2004 07:31 AM

chokes

I recently bought a 835 Mossberg shotgun,I an going to shoot trap with it,it came with a modified steal ,would that be ok to use, or should I get a different choke that is desined for trap? I am new to this game , but it sure looks like fun.

brdhntr 05-15-2004 07:24 PM

RE: chokes

you can use what you have but may want more options. like any shooting situation, chake and shotshell selection will greatly enhance your shooting, hitting more targets. it is really personal preference. also, is it true trap, skeet, sproting clays, or just shooting clays for fun?

Big Al C 05-28-2004 08:58 PM

I would say get a few extra chokes. The modified will work for trap, but you may eventually use the gun for something else where a different choke will be well worth the money. Especially since choke tubes are not really that expensive unless you insist on buying the priciest. Try Cabela's or Bass Pro, they both have a pretty good selection of styles and price ranges. Best of luck with your new gun.

targetpuncher 05-29-2004 12:02 PM

I am not a long-time sporting clays shooter.... but, I will relate something (to you) which helped me. When I bought my shotgun, it came with both a modified and a full choke. I knew already that the full choke would be rather useless for skeet/trap... but, I tried the modified. My shooting friends all recommended getting a "skeet" choke, as the modified type is designed for quite a smaller pattern than the skeet type. I subsequently did purchase a "skeet" choke... and my scores have risen considerably. Some of that may have to do with practice... but, I did notice an IMMEDIATE improvement in my scores, as soon as I began using the skeet choke.

st1 06-11-2004 06:15 PM

if you are shooting trap and not sporting clays or skeet, then you will do better with an impproved mod or a full choke. extended are better than flush, and go pattern your gun or you are wasting your time

Ruddyduck 06-12-2004 06:11 AM

Pattern your choke and see what it's doing for you. If you're shooting trap from the 16 yard line odds are it will be fine. If you want an all round choke get a mod for everything.
Skeet shooters like an open choke because of the close shots and they love the golden bb theory for when they don't have their perfect lead. Myself I tend towards the other end of the spectrum for clay shooting ,sporting,trap or skeet I use mod & Imp mod in my O/U with 7 1/2's. I look at it I shouldn't miss any target under 30 yards even if I was shooting a turkey choke.

GordonGekko 06-12-2004 01:48 PM

Don't make it too complicated, but the "Steel Modified" choke is most likely an "improved cylinder" or Light modified with lead (steel shot tends to pattern tighter than lead). I'd stick with an Improved cylinder for the 16 yard line and a modified back to about the 23 yard line or further, I only switched to an improved modifed when I moved back to the 25 yard line for Handicap. But an improved cylinder an modified should get you a long way.

Gordon

emperor91108 06-22-2004 11:51 PM

For trap I would use the follwing for a beginner:
16 - 18 modified
18 - 20 improved modified

When you get better it should be:
16 - 18 improved modified
18 - * full choke

lou-lou 07-07-2004 11:30 PM

Get a comp-choke for skeet or trap, or something around modified or improved cylinder.

longrifle1000 07-11-2004 03:29 PM

I have shot on trap leagues for ten years. I have used mod, imp mod, and full. My browning bt-99 i am using now has a full choke that is close to extra full. You just need to pattern your gun and know how the load is performing. And most important, Keep your head down and eyes up. Best advice I ever received.