Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 shot gun for small lady >

shot gun for small lady

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

shot gun for small lady

Old 04-16-2004, 12:33 PM

Default shot gun for small lady

Hi all. I am a very small lady about 5' tall and 100 lbs dripping wet. I want to learn how to clay target shoot with my teenage son and some day shoot some geese (wishful thinking?). I have never had a shot gun before and we have looked at pawn shops (for lower prices) and gun stores. Everything I pick up is too leavy or they tell me will kick me over. The only suggestion has been a gas powered Baretta which we can't begin to afford. We want to spend 2-300$ or less. Any suggestions? thank P. South
Old 04-16-2004, 01:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: shot gun for small lady

My sister is 5'1" and about 115#, and she shoots skeet with a 20 Guage, semi auto. I think its a Mossberg. Brand shouldn't matter that much, if your looking for price and guage as your main criteria. Do you want a pump, semi auto, over and under, double barrel? I don't shoot clay targets like my sister, so I don't know which type of action is preferrable. The NEF Pardner pump is very affordable, and 20 guage is probably fine. Other than that, you probably just have to shop around.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:15 PM
Typical Buck

I'm not sure the NEF Pardner would work for clays since it's a single shot.

I did some looking. I believe a youth model gun would fit you about right. Most MFG's offer a youth model. Although most that I found were expensive (around $600), I did find an autoloader youth model sold by traditions that isn't too far over your price limit.
It's the ALS 2100 Youth. The retail price is $479, which is over your price range, but you may be able to find a shop that can get one for a little cheaper.

You may also be able to ask a shop if they have any used youth model guns. This might be exactly what you need.

Good luck,

Slice
Old 04-16-2004, 01:26 PM

I would suggest a Mossberg Youth Model pump in 20 gauge. Inexpensive and they fit small people really well. I used to sell guns, and small stature women and kids really liked it over the Remington version due to the location of the fore grip. If you think it kicks, and it might since it's fairly light, you can take it to a competent gunsmith and have the rifle ported to reduce the felt recoil.

I would shy away from Traditions auto-loaders. Where I worked, we received three of them, and all three had to go back to the factory before they ever got put on the shelf.

One suggestion you might try, hang out at the club you plan to shoot clays at (take the boy and let him shoot). Talk to the shooters. Some would probably even let you shoot their guns to see what you can handle. Regardless, most would probably help you locate just the firearm for you.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:10 PM

I would suggest a 870 express 20 ga youth model; Walmart carries youth models and they are about as cheap as it gets.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

NEF Pardner would work for clays since it's a single shot.
They recently came out with the Pardner pump. I haven't heard or read any reviews of it though.

It kind of looks like a Model 12 Winchester, but I guess it only comes in 12 guage.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

If only you lived around here...We are trying to get rid of a shotgun that we have. Its a mossberg 20 gauge youth model. We would like to sell if for 150. Its the perfect gun to shoot I think for a lady or kids just starting out. It might not be a great gun for geese but it would do perfect for skeet and ducks and pheasants. Look around pawn shops as this gun is usually sold for around $200-300
Old 04-16-2004, 05:30 PM
Typical Buck

I work at a comercial range and have seen more people start out shooting in a busy weekend than most will see in years.
IMHO a autoloading shotgun in a 20 ga. (some cases 28ga. is even better). Bite the bullet and spend a few extra dollars on a youth model auto than single shot or pumps. You can alway find a decent one used for a few dollars more than what you want to pay at the moment.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:45 PM

My dad gave me a Remington 870 youth model 20 guage when I was 15 and it fit me great. I now have a 12 guage Winchester that I use for ducks, geese and the like, but for dove, other smaller birds and skeet, I still prefer my 870 youth model. I'm about 5'9" 170lbs now but I was much smaller then. The 870 is nothing fancy, but it is a great little gun for a good price that I think you would be able to enjoy. The 870 youth model 20 guage comes with a short barrel, short stock and a really thick recoil pad that takes out a good amount of the kick. It would be my personal recommendation for the price range you're looking at.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:05 PM
jjt

i beleive it has already been suggested but i would go with the mossberg youth 20 guage pump

this was my first shotgun and served me well from the time i was 9 to 16

at 16 i finally gained some weight so i was able to move up to the 12 guage without being beat up to much

hope this helps

Quick Reply: shot gun for small lady

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.