Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Accuracy on a budget !?!? >

Accuracy on a budget !?!?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Accuracy on a budget !?!?

Old 03-15-2004, 01:18 AM

Default Accuracy on a budget !?!?

I have been living in Hawaii for the past 7 years and hunting here isn't really an option. Now I am planning a move back to the mainland in early November(probably Texas) and I can't wait to hit the woods again. The move will probably set the family back $5 - $7000, so the budget will be a little tight. I need a really accurate deer rifle and scope for around $7- $900. I was a marksmanship instructor in the USMC and I take a lot of pride in my shooting, so sloppy groups just won't work. Open to all suggestions, but this is the way I'm leaning.....

RIFLE - Savage model 111GNS w/accutrigger - 7mm mag - around $400
Never owned one, but haven't heard anything negative about the accuracy.

SCOPE - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42 - $320
Seems like a lot of scope for the money.

Please reply to this if you have any experience with either of these items or if you have a better suggestion and please be specific.

The move is 7 and a half months away and I am already losing sleep over this. Seems a little early for buck fever.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:05 AM

Default RE: Accuracy on a budget !?!?

Within the price range you mentioned my personal picks would be a Tikka Whitetail Huner or T3 along with a Bushnell 3200 series scope or the Burris you mentioned. I think you'll find the Tikka rifles to be much more refined rifle than the Savage and on average better accuracy as well. I own several Savage rifles, but much prefer the Tikkas.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:52 AM
Typical Buck

IF, You only need one shot why not get the T/C Encore? That gun will make almost any scope seem as though it works well!
Old 03-15-2004, 03:47 PM

Thanks diyj98. I had never considered a Tikka and I don't really know alot about them. I took a look at their website and I must say that I'm pretty interested. How much will one of these run me and how hard will it be to find a dealer?
Old 03-15-2004, 09:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Tikka rifles must shoot a 1" group before leaving the factory and often do much better.Two of my friends have t-3's and both shoot well under 1" with handloads.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:37 AM

the rem. senduro are very accurate for around 700$. I personaly have more fun making a rifle shoot accurate. Part of the hobby you see. I have an 80$ used mosberg model 8a (.308) that I have tweeked into making 1/2" groups. These are the things you do when your not hunting. you glass bed, you mess with the trigger, you work on a load, It's all fun.

I think it's fun to out shoot my buddie at the range with my ol beater rifle and he shoots an M1A national match with springfields best scope.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:32 PM

Joenhawaii,

I would think almost any dealer could order a Tikka for you. I have four of the pre T3 models, a .223, .243, 22-250 and .308, and all four shoot well under 1" with handloads.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

I heard recently that WalMart can now order Tikkas for you. Hope this helps.
Charlie
Old 03-16-2004, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Howa rifles are also quality at an affordable price. Check out the Leupold Rifleman scopes. Should be able to put together a decent rig for under $700 easy.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:06 PM

Hey joenhawaii,
I'm in the same position as you at the moment with purchasing a new rifle. I don't really have any advice on a rifle for you, but for a scope you might want to look into a Sightron. It is a company started by ex Leupold employees and has been around for about 10 years. They make great scopes with the same quality as Leupold, but a bit cheaper. The warranty on their products is also great. Lifetime warranty, fogproof, shockproof, waterproof, and they will replace faulty products no matter who is the origional owner. Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Accuracy on a budget !?!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.