Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Shotgun with cantilever base

Old 01-03-2004, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shotgun with cantilever base

MO, Thanks for the information. I hadn’t thought of Simmons. I do have the Simmons Aetec and haven’t had any problems with it so far. I’ll look it up...... THANKS AGAIN.ˇˇ
Old 01-07-2004, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

Trailer.... I have several shotguns set up as slug guns, all of which have scopes. The very first one I owned is a Rem 1100 2 3/4 with a smooth bore slug barrel (all that was availble when this gun was new.. it was one of my dads that he gave to me when i first started hunting 22 years ago) it has a Bushnell lite sight scope which they do not make anymore, it is the one that when you flip the switch it has a small red dot at the center of the cross hairs that lights up its great for low light and overcast days. This gun holds a very impressive group out to 100 yards, I killed my first deer at 110 yards or so with it!

The next one is a Whinchester 1300 slug gun with a rifled barrel and 3x9 light sight scope as well ( the first one is a 3x9x40 as well). Decent little gun although its a little heavy for a pump I have killed a few deer with it.

Next is my 870 Express it is a 2 3/4 gun as well. It has a short barrel 23" with a rifled choke in it for slugs ( I use it for turkeys sometimes with a turkey choke) It too also has a 3x9x40 Bushnell on it. Good little gun, I use it alot if I am going to be doing any stalking or if all my hsots are going to be close. It holds a good group at 100 yards as well. I probably would not have bought this set up new but a friend needed money and I got this gun without the scope( I added that) and another 879 express 3" for less than $200. This one had never been shot.

But my new friend of my slug guns is my 870 Express Magnum 3". I bought it new with a rifled barrel (which I sold to my dad for one of his guns) and replaced it with a cantilever barrel. It had a 3x9 Bushnell Dusk to Dawn scope on it. This set up is awsome. I have awsome groups at 100 yards and still really good at 150. It does kick like a mule but its has some killer knock down. In this gun I am shooting the Remington Premier Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded Sabot Slugs, they are a 385 2/34 slug that is fairly new. They have some awsome down range energy for a "small" shell it is something in the area of 2300 to 2400 lbs still at 100 yards. They are a little expensive but they are awsome. The only way this gun would be better is if I could find one of the newer Bushnell lighted scopes, the whole cross hairs glow red and you can change their birghtness depending on the situation. I have one on my muzzleloader and my dad has a few.

I may not be a gunsmith or a firearms expert but after killing alot of deer with shotguns, both slugs and buckshot I feel that I can help steer you in the right direction. Go to Remingtons website and look around maybe that will help as well. Nothing against any of the other makes of guns (well maybe moss berg but that is because I have owned two and they just werent all they were suppose to be but I knwo people love them and to each their own JMO) since they all have some good guns and not soo good ones. I hope this helps. If you would like any more information on my setups just email me @ [email protected]
Old 01-07-2004, 07:13 AM
Fork Horn

I forgot to mention that I have never had a scope failure yet.. (knock on wood). I shot my guns year round and like I said the 1100 is well over 20 years old. they all have 100's of shots through them. Yes it is an expensive hobby lol but I have to have somethign to do during the off season. But like I was aying all the scopes have held up wonderfully. MOst of the time I find if I only use one during season and dont pick it up until close to season again they do not need any adjustments only every once in awhile and it is usually very minute like two or three clicks.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:18 PM

i have a reminton 870 express cantilever with that bushnell dusk till dawn 1.5-4.5 scope that you mentioned. the scope works great. the gun shoots excellent
Old 01-11-2004, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I’m still undecided on the scope but after reading up on eye relief, it’s going to be at least 4”. I did get the Winchester black shadow. Thanks guys for all the info......