Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Beretta/92/96/99 styled pistols >

Beretta/92/96/99 styled pistols

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Beretta/92/96/99 styled pistols

Old 12-17-2003, 08:56 AM

Default Beretta/92/96/99 styled pistols

What do you think of this 9mm pistol? Is it reliable? rugged? I was thinking of getting the Taurus version ( http://www.taurususa.com/products/pr...ategory=Pistol ) But i'm not sure.. I'm getting a 9mm because of when cutting wood/out in the woods/etc I see alot of copperhead snakes which are venomous, Last year i stabbed one in the head. That also doubles as an excuse just to have more guns/pistol to mess around with at the range. Anyway, If this isn't a good choice, what do you recommend on pistols?
Old 12-17-2003, 10:35 AM

Default RE: Beretta/92/96/99 styled pistols

Also.. What other excuses could i tell my mom on why i need a pistol when i have a shotgun? :-D
Old 12-17-2003, 06:43 PM

The Beretta is the better pistol. I've owned a 96 for a number of years and I've never a any type of problem. No jams, No misfires, No nothing. I've shot thousands of rounds thru it and it always fires regardless of the type or quality of ammo.

I've also shot the Taurus version and it's ok but just doesn't give me the confidence that I have in my 96.

Both pistols are big, heavy and very similar in alot of ways but I would buy the Beretta.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

popeye, I have just the opposite opinion. I think the Taurus is just as good as or better than the Beretta. I have put plenty of rounds though both and I would trust either one with my life, but I prefer the safety on the frame where it is suppose to be and the Taurus has it, the Beretta doesn't. As for the value, you can't beat the Taurus.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:15 AM

Sounds like the taurus is the good choice, especially for the money. I also like the frame mounted safety. But i think i'm going to have to have more excuses than snakes to have a pistol [>:]
Old 12-18-2003, 12:35 AM
Typical Buck

If its snakes you're after, do what I did. I live in rattlesnake/copperhead country and bought the double-barrel 410ga pistol made by Cobray. I'm not taking anything away from the Beretta or the Taurus, both are fine pistols. But $125 versus $400-500 will be easier on mom's wallet. Just my .02.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:07 AM

No, it will be on my wallet, I'm 16, It's up to her what i can have and not have.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have any experience with the Beretta 92F's made for the civilian market, but I carried the M9 (the military version of the Beretta 92F) for 3 years as my duty weapon and I will say that I was never impressed with it. It wasn't very accurate, the parts fit and quality wasn't that great, but I will say that it always functioned reliably (for the same reasons the AK-47 is reliable, I think). It also weighed a ton, too. Carrying it on a 2" wide utility belt (police black gear) in a strong side holster for 8-12 hours at a time could be excrutiating. Running with the darn thing was even worse. Every time my right foot would hit the ground I though the pistol was going to pull my pants down.

If I were you I'd go with a Glock 17 or 19. It's much lighter than the Beretta, is just as accurate and reliable, shoots softer (less perceived recoil, Glocks are known for that. My Glock 21 .45ACP flips up less than the M9 9mm ever did), and is probably cheaper to buy new. A new Glock 17 around here will set one back about $500 I think.

One other thing I'd consider if I were you is checking into the legality of you possessing a pistol at your age without direct adult supervision. I know that in Iowa one cannot be in possession of a pistol under 21 unless under the direct supervision of an adult who is themselves legally qualified to own and possess the pistol. If you were to get caught with the pistol in your possession you'd potentially be in a world of crap (can you say possible felony). I know you say you'd be on your own land, but that doesn't make it legal, and if a cop saw you with it your property line is meaningless.

Just something to consider. I think you're probably a decent responsible kid who's no threat to anyone or yourself, but the law is the law regardless of how silly it is. Not worth wrecking your future for a illegal gun possession rap.

Mike
Old 12-18-2003, 12:31 PM

Hi MossyOak02,

First I'd agree with driftrider....make sure you know how the gun laws read in your state...about minors and handgun possession.

As to the difference between Beretta and Taurus, I believe the Beretta is probably a little better made. (But it should be for the price difference.) Having said that I will also state that I believe the Taurus is still a very servicable gun....and I own one myself. I have owned several copies of the Beretta 92 series, (going back to the 92S), and I carried the Beretta in the military after the switch from the 1911. I trust either the Beretta or the Taurus for what they were designed for.....and I have to carry a 9mm.

Personally if I were looking for an "outdoor" handgun, and snakes were one of the issues, (and even if they weren't), I personally find a revolver more versatile. A good medium frame revolver chambered in .357 Magnum with between 3" to 6" is very hard to beat for an all purpose outdoor companion. It may not be the best "hunting specific" handgun.....and it may not be the "ne ultra plus" for self defense.....and it may not be the most powerful....and it may not be the most concealable/packable......but it is probably the most versatile! You can carry any thing and everything from shotshell/snakeshot, to .38 Special Wadcutters - small game, up through full house Magnum heavy bullet loads. And if I were looking for a "first" companion piece in the outdoors it would be that. (Of course a case can be made for having a nice .22 rimfire available as well.)

The large 9's do some things very well....but as an outdoor companion piece I personally think there are better choices!

Good luck with your decision, your State's laws, and in convincing your Mom you should be carrying a handgun. Stay safe!
Old 12-18-2003, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ain't nothing wrong with the Beretta 92's. They have good accuracy right out of the box, and excellent accuracy if you make a few cheap modifications. The problem most people have with the 92 when they complain about accuracy is poor trigger control. The 92 straight out of the box has a fairly stiff pull and the trigger is hinged from the top- making for shots pulled downward. The cheap fis is to get a trigger job done- usually $40-50, or if you are very handy with tools and have the knowledge to do this yourself, you can polish the trigger, sear, hammer and trigger bar yourself. Next, you order a mainspring for a 96D from Beretta USA- ($2.40 including shipping and handling) and replace the factory 92 spring. Sometimes simply changing the spring is enough and a trigger job isn't necessary.

The Taurus' are made on machinery bought from Beretta, and use the older Beretta 92 design. IMHO, they are just as good, though I can't see buying a handgun made in Brazil where gun ownership is forbidden when you can spend a few $$ more and buy a Beretta made in USA.

BTW, I've had my 92 jam once- it was with handloads with very light powder charges- the open slide makes clearing a jam as simple as racking it.

Quick Reply: Beretta/92/96/99 styled pistols

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.