HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Another post on A Bolt vs Tikka... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/46351-another-post-bolt-vs-tikka.html)

Back40 12-15-2003 05:33 PM

Another post on A Bolt vs Tikka...

I am a lefty and down to these 2 rifles. Tikka only offers lefties the Whitetail Hunter in wood stock and blued finish but have heard no negative comments regarding quality or accuracy. The A bolt is offered in stainless synthetic for lefties but have seen several posts less than impressive accuracy numbers. I have shot a BDL 30.06 for 27yrs and am ready for a new rifle. Is a potential 2 inch MOA group vs a 1 inch that big a deal?

FL/GA Hunter 12-15-2003 06:10 PM

RE: Another post on A Bolt vs Tikka...

Going strictly by the numbers you're giving:

2 MOA means: 2 inches at 100 yards, 4 at 200 yards, etc...

1 MOA means: 1 inch at 100 yards, 2 at 200 yards, etc...

Which means if you're shooting out to 200-300 yards, it actually matters. 100 yards and inside, whatever.

Now, I wouldn't necessarily say that the A-Bolt is going to give you out to 2 MOA out of the box. I do, however, stand firmly behind the Tikka - there's nothing like shooting .75 inch groups with no work and cheap ammo. [8D]

Danny45 12-15-2003 06:37 PM

Actually, I don't think you'd go wrong with either rifle. I love the Tikka and it's accuracy is guarenteed. But, Every Browning I've owned shot very well. I had a Stainless Stalker (first version, no BOSS) that shot 3/4" groups all day long with Remington Core-Lokt ammo and Federal Premium ammo. And reloads fell into a half inch easily. And that rifle was box stock. It's not hard to find ammo that will shoot good in them, just a little trial and error. Which you'll have to do anyway to find the ammo that Tikka likes.

As much as I love my new Tikka, if I was in your position, I'd probably go with the Browning since it's readily available for Southpaws.

corey006 12-15-2003 10:24 PM

Tikka Tikka Tikka

oldelkhunter 12-16-2003 11:04 AM

Leave that Made in Japan(Crap) right where it belongs......In Japan
And finland is somehow a US state I suppose...

Worc 12-16-2003 11:08 AM

Tough choice! I have an A-Bolt (.308 win.) and the Whitetail (.223 rem.). I've been completely satisfied with both. Accuracy wise I'm usally slightly better with the Browning. Quality, accuracy, price, and aesthetics are very close. Once in hand they do feel differently. My advice is to at least handle both as much as possible. If it's an option, test fire both of them. Preferably side by side.
I guess I'm not ignorant enough to belive that the Browning is a lesser gun because of the manufacturing country. Maybe for some, Browning's would only be good if they loaded their dies back on the boat and shipped them back to belgium.
Good luck, either one is a winner.

Danny45 12-16-2003 12:31 PM

And finland is somehow a US state I suppose...

LOL

bigcountry 12-16-2003 04:24 PM

Olkelk's got a point.

corey006 12-16-2003 11:23 PM

herman 12-17-2003 05:08 AM

I am not a very big fan of the Brownings(because I only have one,but sure would love to have more) but I have to say one thing they do make great rifles,if they all shoot like the one I have does.Bought my first one (270 wsm ) this past summer and with the accuracy out of the box I wouldn't hesitate buying another in another caliber.I have been shooting close to 60 yrs now and this is the first rifle that I have seen shoot less than 2 in groups @ 300 yds,thought it was a fluke the first time went back another day and done it again.I don't shoot very much at that yardage becuse where I hunt 99% of the shots are less than 100 yds.Most of my rifles are Remingtons with a few Rugers thrown in and now a lonely Browning crammed into one safe.
Saw my first Tikka a couple weeks ago and planning to get one of them this summer to give them a try in a 25/06,if it shoots like the Browning I will be pleased with them too.Where they are made is of no interests to me as long as they shoot.