Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Opinions on rifle and caliber please >

Opinions on rifle and caliber please

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Opinions on rifle and caliber please

Old 12-08-2003, 12:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default Opinions on rifle and caliber please

Last season we changed where we hunt. I used to use a shotgun but now will be going to a rifle. I have been looking at the Winchester Model 70 Shadow in the 30.06 sprgfld caliber for deer.

Can you give me opinions on this setup? i am looking for something inexpensive as a first rifle. This seems to fit the ticket. I like the 30.06 cuz of the range of bullets and grains that can be used. Also the cost of bullets is pretty reasonable and they can be found anywhere.

Like to hear your thoughts on this.. Any opinions on Winchester and the model 70? I can get the whole thing, gun 3x9 simmons scope etc.. for under $400.

ALSO, never shot a 30.06 before, what is the recoil like. Greater than my 12 gauge or lighter. If you can rate recoil of the different rifle calibers, please do. It will help me make my decision. Recoil doesn't bother me to much, but if it is excessive, well i will choose a different caliber. Just can't see where 30.06 would be that much.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Opinions on rifle and caliber please

I love the .30-06, but I prefer Remington over Winchester.

Keep in mind that just about anyone here could go on for days talking about their favorite setup, but I recommend that you research online and visit a good gun dealer to see and handle various rifles for yourself.

Also, check out this Recoil Table for a comparison of different calibers/loads. I'm no expert on shotguns, but from what I've experienced, the .30-06 is pretty mild compared to a 3½ magnum slug.
Old 12-08-2003, 05:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Try and borrow a gun of similar style. By that I mean, if you're going to buy a bolt, borrow and shoot a bolt etc. I have two 30-06s, a Remington 700 and a Remington 760 carbine. I just love the guns. You hit them they know and act like they've been hit. I shot a lot of deer with them in my earlier years. Pretty much exclusively bowhunt now except for an annual pilgrimage to the Adirondacks with my Carbine. I haven't shot one with the 06 in 3 or 4 years, but it's been by choice..not chances.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:34 PM

Hi semi,

The .30-06 has less recoil than a 12 gauge. It's a very good caliber and the Model 70 Winchester is a very servicable rifle. If you like the way it looks and feels....get it!

Good luck with your new area!
Old 12-11-2003, 07:59 PM

i am like you Semi. I too have been looking at the Winchester Model 70 Shadow. From what i hear it is a good gun. I am thinking about getting one myself. I dont know much about guns, soo anything people have to say i am all ears.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

The model 70s are excelent guns and will serve you well for many many years. I have never had one ounce of trouble from mine and it shoots great too. The 30-06 is probably the most versatile round made. Capeable of hunting everything this continent has to offer, however I would like more gun for a grizzly.

Like AK said, If you like it get it.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:57 AM

Bigbulls said it best! All that rifle will do for you is kill deer.

You might want to upgrade the scope when you can...I had the same scope and had problems with it. I put a Bushnell Elite 3200 on mine.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-21-2003, 01:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I love the .30-06, but I prefer Remington over Winchester.
I love the .30/'06, but prefer Winchester over Remington.... I think the setup you're looking at will be quite good. Later on, you MAY want to replace the Simmons scope, but maybe not, too!
Old 12-21-2003, 03:34 PM

i am looking for something inexpensive as a first rifle. This seems to fit the ticket. I like the 30.06 cuz of the range of bullets and grains that can be used. Also the cost of bullets is pretty reasonable and they can be found anywhere.
Looks like you've done your homework and really know what you want already. I'd say get it, but as soon as you possibly can afford to, trash the scope and get a better one. If for some reason it doesn't shoot the way you think it should, the first thing I'd look at would be the scope. The cheapest Nikon or Leupold would be 10 times better than that Simmons.

The 30-06 is a great all-around caliber. Reloaded with 110 grain bullets and it would be a great prairie dog or coyote shooter. 150 grain for deer and antelope, 165-180 grain for elk and black bear, 200+ for moose and dangerous game. It will take anything on the North American continent, as long as you put the bullet where it's supposed to go.

If you can handle shooting a 12 gauge with slugs, you will have no problem handling the 30.06.