HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Ruger Wrangler (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/427028-ruger-wrangler.html)

bronko22000 11-13-2021 10:33 AM

Ruger Wrangler

1 Attachment(s)
Just picked up one of these neat little revolvers last week. I took it out and shot it and it was shooting to the right about 4" at 25 yards. I called Ruger and they asked for a target. I took it back out and shot 6 different brands of 22 LR at a distance of 20 yards and as you can see from the pic all grouped within 1.5"-2" from aiming point. I sent the target to Ruger and their response was that this was acceptable!
I usually like to hit what I'm aiming at so I'm trying to see what I can do to accomplish just that.

mrbb 11-13-2021 11:23 AM

not surprised with there reply to you, most of them guns of that nature are , set to a 7 yard group , not 25
so I am gathering if you shoot it at there 7 yard deal, it will be closer to point of aim and thus, NOT what they would warranty
not any help on fixing things, just passing info on I know from dealing with them and many other OEM's over the decades!
as for a fix, I gather you coudl MAYBE file the side of the sight to help adjust things a little?
but like many fixed sight guns, your kind a stuck with what they are and have to just learn to compensate when aiming knowing where they shoot!!

CalHunter 11-15-2021 04:57 AM

So is this something you have to correct with a file?

Nomercy448 11-15-2021 09:48 AM

The fixed sights on Ruger Wranglers, by specification, are set to align POA to POI at 15 yards. Not 7, nor 25.

bronko22000 11-15-2021 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Nomercy448 (Post 4398861)
The fixed sights on Ruger Wranglers, by specification, are set to align POA to POI at 15 yards. Not 7, nor 25.

Well I shot it today after doing a little work and shot the target @15 yards.
Last night I removed .010" off the left side of the front sight bringing it down to .055"(the sight was .065" thick). After shooting today the revolver is shooting 1" to the right and instead of 1.5" as before. I actually thought it would move further than a half inch.
Anyway I started shooting it off hand both 1 and 2 handed and found that it is now right on or very close. I believe this is because I'm lefty and have a slight tendency to pull the muzzle slightly and consistently to the left. So I'm happy.

bronko22000 05-30-2022 03:44 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I posted this on the gunsmithing forum but just to give you guys an update. I was thinking about this off and on while I was in florida for the winter but last night I had an idea. I took a 1/2" washer and cut it down to match the profile of the front sight and painted it flat black. After drying I mixed a small dab of PC7 epoxy and affixed it to the right side of the front sight. I was going to wait to tomorrow to shoot it but it was about 10 hours so I figured the epoxy was set enough. I grabbed a target and ran to the nearby woods. I shot this target at 15 yards. I'm a bit mad at myself for dropping the muzzle on the last shot! Id say problem solved. NOTE: the image of the sight makes it look uneven but it really isn't. But the width of the front sight is pretty thick now and pretty much fills the groove/rear sight

greenpasturehunt 09-17-2022 03:55 AM

I have a wrangler and love it. The only thing I don't like is the lack of clicking when I rotate barrel for loading

bronko22000 04-14-2024 12:54 PM

I want to get my hands on a Wrangler with the 3.5" barrel and birds head grip.