HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Savage 110 Hog Hunter .350 Legend (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/426687-savage-110-hog-hunter-350-legend.html)

Bocajnala 09-17-2021 02:57 AM

Savage 110 Hog Hunter .350 Legend

Needed a rifle for a young hunter. I wanted it to be legal for Ohio and Pennsylvania. This meant straight walled cartridges only.

Ended up with a Savage 110 Hog Hunter in .350 Legend. Nice short, light rifle. It is UGLY though. He likes it.

Picked up bases and rings and a Burriss Fulfield ii 3-9X40. Hoping to get it out this weekend. Will let y'all know!

Bocajnala 09-17-2021 02:58 AM

:s12:

(And secretly I'm looking forward to doing some still hunting through the thick stuff with it this fall)

:biggrin:

Zen Archery 09-17-2021 05:18 AM

It’s a fun hard hitting caliber!

MudderChuck 09-17-2021 07:38 AM

Very similar ballistics to the 35 Remington, actually my favorite hog rifle/caliber.

Bocajnala 09-18-2021 05:44 PM

Well, I was pleased with how it shot.

Only issues we had was his first round didn't feed correctly twice. I think it's from him babying the bolt. But will be something to be mindful of as he learns and shoots more.

I put twenty through it myself and had no feeding issues. I also did not have my regular rest with me, so we made due. Certainly a good shooter for Ohio where I'm used to using slugs. And much nicer on the shoulder. I think this will make a great rifle for him.

After getting it dialed in we spent some time busting clay pigeons at 100 yards. We will begin working on shooting from various field positions next week. Starting with the .22 then working up to the 'big' rifle.

-Jake

Bocajnala 09-18-2021 05:50 PM

First group out of it. Can't complain with that!

-Jake

Bocajnala 09-18-2021 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by MudderChuck (Post 4396965)
Very similar ballistics to the 35 Remington, actually my favorite hog rifle/caliber.

Does it really compare? I was thinking it might be a little on the light side, but the .35 Remington is a great deer/bear round for in the woods.

To be honest I really haven't looked into the .350 legend much. Hoping to have some first hand knowledge here in a couple of weeks when the youth season comes in.

-Jake

MudderChuck 09-19-2021 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4396993)
Does it really compare? I was thinking it might be a little on the light side, but the .35 Remington is a great deer/bear round for in the woods.

To be honest I really haven't looked into the .350 legend much. Hoping to have some first hand knowledge here in a couple of weeks when the youth season comes in.

-Jake

I glanced at the ballistics and the 350 is a little lighter in velocity and bullet weight but the difference is around 10% in a broad sampling. I may be full of it, but IMO shock effect in many of the faster rounds is overrated, especially with hogs. The 35 Remington often doesn't go all the way through a hog and dumps all its energy quickly, especially the round nose bullet. It is a hundred-yard gun, it retains plenty of energy at a hundred yards. Enough energy to expand a 180 grain pro hunter round nose, IMO guaranteed to knock them down. My 35 Remington with a 200 grain bullet semi-round nose, will inevitably make a running hog change direction, where my .308 usually doesn't and a pass-through IMO is a lot of wasted energy. Let us know how it works. I suspect round choice is going to play a big part in how well it works. And learning the bullet drop out to 150 hundred yards or so.

bronko22000 09-29-2021 04:07 PM

I'm sure anything hit with it wouldn't know the difference between the 35 Rem and the 350. As you know I got the Axis in it and that thing shoot great too. I didn't want the Accutrigger and got the basic trigger then got the Mcarbo trigger kit for it. It has about a 3 - 3.5 lb trigger with zero creep. They don't make a kit for the Accutrigger though.
I'm glad you like it. Just be sure to remember you got it for your son!!!

rjhans53 01-29-2022 04:30 PM

mine isn't a hog hunter but one ruger and 1 savage both like the heavier slugs but they shoot very well and hit like the hammer of thor