Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
.32 caliber muzzleloader >

.32 caliber muzzleloader

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

.32 caliber muzzleloader

Old 12-05-2020, 03:23 PM
Spike

Thank you for all the advice. I'm kinda new to muzzleloaders. I got my first black powder deer last year with a 50 caliber inline. But I like the more traditional style better, which reminds me hows the recoil on a 50 caliber Hawken style rifle? I'm looking at one of them for deer hunting( specifically the Traditions Hawken Woodsman or the Traditions Trapper percussion pistol 50 caliber. Hows the recoil on a 50 caliber pistol like the one mentioned above? Sorry for all the questions and going off topic from 32 caliber to 50 caliber. I'm just trying to learn all that I can. Thanks
Old 12-06-2020, 03:55 AM
Fork Horn

The fifty caliber guns don't kick much more than a 20gauge shotgun,although for me the Hawken style tends to slap me in the cheek. I prefer a straighter stock with no cheek piece. As for the Traditions Trapper 50 caliber pistol,I took a deer with mine last year at about 20 yards. I would not recommend shooting a deer much beyond 35 yards with the gun. With a load of 40 grains of 3f and a 490 patched round ball, the energy level is not there for clean kills beyond 35 yards in my opinion. Now I had a T/C scout pistol once that I loaded with 60 grains of 3f and a 240 grain ballet that took deer out to 50 yards, but It kicked like a 500 S&W.
Old 12-06-2020, 01:51 PM
Spike

Ok. So they don't kick very much then. That's good to know. I've actually never really shot a 20 gauge before. Only shot one once or twice and even then I don't really remember what the recoil felt like. I do however shoot my 870 12 gauge for deer and turkey so I guess I can handle the recoil. Here in VA we have a 50 grains of powder minimum for both rifle and pistol. I think I'll stick with the rifle for now until I can get comfortable with the idea of shooting a 50 caliber hand cannon. One more question. What would a good hunting charge for deer be out of the rifle with .490 patched round ball?
Old 12-06-2020, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

Many shoot 75-85 grains of 3f in their 50 caliber guns with patched round ball for deer. Your gun will determine which load and patching/lube it likes best for accuracy. The slower twist guns (1:60-1:72") generally require more powder to get the best accuracy. The common 1:48" usually like 75-85 grains for deer hunting accuracy and power. I no longer shoot a 50 for my deer hunting. where i hunt the cover is very thick and even a mortally hit deer can go 100 yards or more which would involve crawling on my hands and knees for hours tracking a hit deer. I now use either a 54 or a 58 for my deer hunting cause I want to drop the deer in its tracks. I aim for the shoulders, and usually break both with my shot so the deer does not go anywhere. I lose some meat, but it is worth it now to have to blood trail a deer in the heavy laurel.

As for loading 50 grains or more in your trapper pistol, I would advise against it. I believe, 40 grains is the listed max for that gun.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:11 AM
Spike

Thank you for all the advice. So if I get every thing right: use about 15-20 grains of 3f powder and start with a .15 patch for the 32. And use about 80 grains of powder for deer in the 50 caliber rifle and about 30-40 grains of powder in the pistol. Thanks again for the advice.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

I just had an interesting thought on this. I wonder what the accuracy would be if you paper patched 30 cal varmint bullets.
Old 07-12-2021, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

Personally, for what the .32 is used for I think the round ball does the job that it was made for. I get superb accuracy with a patched round ball in all of my .32's. You just have to experiment with different powder charges, patch thickness and lubes to find what your rifle likes best. The .32 is not a long range gun. 50 yards is a long poke for a .32, and wind can bedevil those small pills at any range. I get mostly dime sized groups with my .32's at 25-35 yards from the bench which is better than I can do offhand with my aging eyes. Don't know how much more accurate you would need.