Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Remington 770

Old 09-09-2020, 10:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Remington 770

OK - is it junk or not? I always thought of them as POSs but I was looking at some of the reviews on this rifle and I think I may have to change my perspective on them. Yes I know they aren't a 700 but the videos I've seen show them as being decent shooters for the price range. The Savage Axis may have a few notches up on them but all in all they don't seem as bad as I initially thought. The worse complaint I heard with them is the sticky bolt. But reviewers claim this smooths up after some use.
As for accuracy they likely won't win and competitions but for a truck gun or a beater gun I see its potential.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

when you deal withj budget minded rifles you get less fit and finish and accuracy tends to be more pick of the litter
there not GREAT rifles, but they do work and most I have shot or seen shot, actually shot pretty well

my buddy bought one as a beater truck gun in 30-06 and its a 1 inch shooter, at 100 yards with the ammo it likes, NOT all ammo, just what he found it likes
just like most rifles tend to be
and this is where many folks bash rifles
they don;'t invest time in finding what it likes and just complain its NOT that accurate! and or give up!

IMO< its a OK rifle, its SAFE reliable and works
but its not the best feeling or looking rifle to MY eye's!

these days there are a TON of budget minded rifles out there , if you like it, grab one, odds are if nothing else you can sell it, deer season a coming, used rifles hold value now more than ever!

Old 09-09-2020, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

The only real knock on the 770 is that in its price category there are better options in my opinion. The Ruger American, savage axis, and others are all similarly priced but better rifles in my opinion.

A 770 for a truck or loaner rifle, or even a budget rifle to help someone get into the woods isn't a bad thing. But there are some better options out there.

RIGHT NOW there are lots of good used rifles pretty cheap. Blued and wood just isn't that popular so you can usually find older savages pretty cheap. I've seen marlins in the 350 range lately.

I've picked up savages and Stevens for under $200 in the past and they are a much better rifle than the 770. Not a knock on the 770, it's just there are better options out there. If you have or find a good deal on a 770 I wouldn't hesitate to 'pull the trigger' and play around with it some.
-Jake
Old 09-09-2020, 12:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm just toying with the idea. I am very impressed with my Savage Axis I picked up earlier this year in 350 Legend.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

to be honest I have seen countless rem SPS 700, with combo packages from stores like cabela's/Bass Pro, DIcks, and so on, for cheaper prices than I have seen on the 770's
and IMO< there better rifles too!
a sa fact I picked up a SPS700 in 234 came with a hard case, a cabela's brand 4x12x40 mm scope, scope cap covers for just over 300 bucks BRAND NEW on sale!
and it shot extremely well with the first box of ammo I ran thru it

but again, with SO many budget rifles out there any more
I believe in handling as many as one can and see what FITS YOU the best, just cause something MIGHT BE< built better or different parts on it, doesn't mean its better for YOU!
many folks over look fit when buying a marketed item, and feeling they NEED it, or want it, based on reviews and , sadly, they don;'t fit the person all that well once they get it!

another thing is when your looking to add accessories, some rifles have more options in that end, from scope mounts to???(and I was NEVER a fan of the Ruger design scope mounts some of the Ruger rifles have?had) )
but this is why there are so many, to each there own on what they lie /dislike!

Old 09-09-2020, 04:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

mrbb I guess I'm pretty lucky (other than being a southpaw) but just about every factory rifle feels good to me. Shotguns are a different story altogether but most rifles fit me good with a scope. The only exception to is are my Marlin 1895s. I have to raise the comb height for proper fit when using a scope.
Old 09-10-2020, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
mrbb I guess I'm pretty lucky (other than being a southpaw) but just about every factory rifle feels good to me. Shotguns are a different story altogether but most rifles fit me good with a scope. The only exception to is are my Marlin 1895s. I have to raise the comb height for proper fit when using a scope.
this is maybe due to MOST makers build to ONE average persons size
so those larger or smaller are the one's that can fit issue's

I always used to see this in women and smaller kids or, very large/tall males

it also always made me wonder why so many rifle makers that would CLAIM to have a youth or woman's model l would never adjust for trigger length of pull,(from pistol grip to trigger, not OAL length of pull) just)
all they would ever do MOSTLY ALL< was cut some wood off the butt end of the stock, yet that never helps folks with smaller shorter arms and hands really
YES many adapted, but again, that isn;t having a gun that FITS you!
MOST of us older guys, I gather will ALL recall learning how to shoot a gun that DIDN"T fit them, be it a full sized 22, or even a shotgun,, if you watch this happen you will SEE folks wiggle and move about till they can GET sights on things,! its NOT nature pointing for them!
YES we can adapt and get better, but I again always wondered why so many are willing to over look GOOD fit, to buy what is popular!, I sold a LOT of guns over the yrs and see this countless times!
the WANT for something over powering the actual fit of things for them!and I seen some folks drop a BIG chunk of cash too
just like shotgun, and HANDGUNS<
when a GUN fits you JUST right, you will always shoot it better, than one that doesn't!
nature of the beast!

Last edited by mrbb; 09-10-2020 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

I have a 770, which started life as a 710 back in 2004 when I bought it. Got it in .30-06. Along the way my 710 got returned as part of the settlement agreement for a Remington class action lawsuit (think it was related to the trigger) and I got it back with a 770 receiver and stock because they couldn't just change the trigger. Only problem I've had with it was the original magazine came apart in the summer as I was experimenting with ammo at the range. I don't do a lot of deer hunting - I might get out 10 or 12 times a season - so I didn't need anything pricey.

While the action is not the smoothest by any means, it has always shot well. My original 710 liked Federal 150gr Sierra Game King boat tail soft points and would shoot about .75 MOA. The 770 likes basic Federal Powershok 150gr PSPs and will shoot about 1 MOA and several others than shoot close to that. Basically the rifle does everything I need. I doubt it will ever be called to shoot further than a couple hundred yards where I hunt.
Old 12-29-2020, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was talking with Mark Slidlinger he was Remington's VP of marketing at one time. We were talking in hunting camp about the direction of manufactures in the market. I told him a couple years ago that the industry was in a race to the bottom.
My point at the time was that manufactures are trying to produce the cheapest out the door guns ever. The days of producing a quality firearm were a thing of the past. The 710, 770,783, the Axis, The Ruger American, The ranch rifle, and the Winchester XPR. Winchester at the time came out with the Wildcat 22 rifle. I was honestly so disappointed that Winchester stepped into the 22 market again and did not have a quality bolt action 22 LR that was the reason we got on the topic of the race to the bottom.
We started to talk about the new companies that were producing very quality rimfire guns like Voodoo. and others.
I told him that the gun manufactures are losing sight of what a gun is supposed to be. When I was a kid Remington's, Winchesters, things of beauty and shot well. They were handed down to like minded family members and those guns are still in service, or could be today.
The problem is manufactures are just producing guns that will get a guy by. They are cheap enough that he can buy one try it and if he doesn't like it sell it and get something else. I fell into that in the late 70's and early 80's. I bought a Stevens 110E which by todays standards is a quality firearm with wood and was a great shooting gun. I also bought a Post 64 winchester featherweight XTR in 1984 that was at the time a BIG step down from the Pre 64. But in todays standards that rifle is a classic with beautiful features.
If a guy wants a quality firearm now days you have to look at manufactures that are not the big guys. Some are fantastic rifles and it was my opinion that those types of rifles were what was spelling the end of the big manufactures.

I hope that we don't look back at these plastic guns with their plastic magazines, plastic sights, and some with plastic receivers and think those were the good old days of rifle's.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:22 AM
Fork Horn

Gun companies are like any other company - they are there to make money. There is money to made in marketing lower cost firearms to those who want a budget firearm (such as I did when I bought my Rem 710 in 2004) and there are those who wish to have the more pleasing (and expensive) aesthetics of wood and blued steel and slick actions. One one hand folks will argue a firearm is "just a tool", but on the other they promote that tool should be finely crafted. A tool is a hammer also. I don't need shiny metal and polished wood to drive nails, just as many don't need (or wish to pay for) certain features that add nothing to the functionality of the tool.

I can appreciate a fine firearm, but I'm going to weight those pricier features against what they offer me and what benefit they provide. I could go buy a nicer deer rifle in the $750+ range that would come with some nice wood and have a slick bolt operation, but it would not do the job any better than my plastic stock and not-so-smooth bolt other than look a lot nicer and get more admiration for aesthetics from anyone who wished to hold it. I'd rather spend my money on other things - to each his own.

On one end firearm companies are selling for the budget conscious, but on the other end they are just selling vanity - an overpriced firearm that looks good but does nothing or offers nothing to the average hunter but shiny bells and whistles - just like car companies with their gadgets and features. It's the "cup holder" situation - this year's model doesn't get you there any better than last year's, but there's two more cup holders!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.