Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Experienced Deer Hunters >

Experienced Deer Hunters

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Experienced Deer Hunters

Old 05-30-2020, 05:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by CalHunter
For the OP (Bronko22000), I shoot a 270 also but I carry it primarily because bear is on the menu during all of deer season. I found it very telling that Ridge Runner and NoMercy both shoot 6mm's for deer. In fact, just about everybody responding seems to use a 27 caliber or smaller for deer hunting. Interesting indeed.
I've killed so many deer with the .270 Win and the .243 Win. I agree with RR and NM because every deer I shot with the .243 (sans one because of a faulty bullet that fragmented) dropped right where they stood.Same can be said for the .270. I've had deer run off with good hits by the .308 which is why I'm not a fan of it (all recovered by the way). A few with the 7-08 went only a short distance or dropped on the spot. I would hear arguments that it was bullet placement but I always shoot for a spot just behind the shoulder and slightly below mid-body. Shoulder shot destroy too much meat IMO. I believe my shot placement and velocity and with the construction of sub 30 caliber bullets is the reason for the instant kills of the deer I've taken with the .243 and .270.