HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   CZ 527 Varmint with threaded barrel 17 Hornet (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/422818-cz-527-varmint-threaded-barrel-17-hornet.html)

idahoron 02-16-2020 09:44 AM

CZ 527 Varmint with threaded barrel 17 Hornet

I picked up this rifle a couple months ago. I added a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 FFP scope with Leupold Medium 30MM rings. The CZ 527 action is a Micro Mauser action with controlled round feeding. The action it's self is not as smooth as it should be but should get better with break in.

The trigger on this rifle is a Single set trigger. You can use it like a normal trigger or you can push the trigger forward setting the trigger. Using the trigger the normal fashion I have a trigger that breaks at 2.5 pounds. As a set trigger it breaks at 14 ounces. Not a hint of creep on either method.
The safety is backwards of the normal. You pull the safety back to shoot.
The barrel of this varmint model is 24" with threads for a suppressor. The rate of twist is 1-9".

Shooting the CZ 527 varmint in the 17 Hornet is a true pleasure. zero recoil, and the scope stays on the target.
The Factory Hornady 20 gr bullets didn't shoot awesome. I was about 1.25" at 100 yards. In fact about everything I shot was 1" or more. I loaded some 25 gr Hornady with no love. The center group is Nosler 20 gr.

My first groups with the 20 gr hornady were 3 shot groups.

Those were very good so I focused on the Hornady 20 gr and tried a lot of powder changes. The 12.2 were just hard to pass up. The two groups at the bottom were just over 1/2". I will take that all day long. Then I shot another 3 shot group like I did before.

After about 100 rounds now I have found that this rifle doesn't like to be cleaned. It likes to run a little dirty and it took a bit to figure that out.
Overall I am very pleased with the rifle. The more I shoot it the better it is shooting. Maybe I am getting used to the recoil. It should make for a very nice ground squirrel and rock chuck rifle. Not to mention it is just plain fun to shoot something that has no kick.

CalHunter 02-16-2020 10:39 AM

That's a sweet rifle Ron! Congrats.

idahoron 02-16-2020 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by CalHunter (Post 4370868)
That's a sweet rifle Ron! Congrats.

In January of 2019 I fell off a ladder at work. I ended up needing surgery and after the surgery I could not go back to work in the mill. I retired and then found a job I love. I am the Sexton at the Cemetery. I take care of the grass and do burials.
When I got that job I decided to celebrate with getting a new rifle. I really am starting to like the rifle too.

Erno86 02-16-2020 11:08 AM

I like my low recoiling 527 in 7.62x39. The 30 caliber round has a good sound effect on my steel targets. My brother hunts squirrels with his downloaded 223 rounds from his 527.

The earlier models had more beautiful Turkish walnut stocks than the present day new one's for sale. I bought mine about three years ago.

Though I believe that the squarish rear end of the 527 receiver has a thonk (that I also read about on social media)...which has a tendency to crack the wooden stock at the left top rear of the receiver --- Much like mine did (1/4" crack), at around the 800 round mark.

My bolt was also stiff working when I bought the new rifle. The outfit that does repair work on the CZ's in the U.S., not only quickly replaced my cracked stocked, but they slicked-up the bolt as well.
I don't know the procedure for slicking-up a rifle bolt from a bolt action --- other than working the bolt thousands of times --- but if you can find someone that can smooth out the bolt on that CZ Mauser action of yours --- I would highly recommend it.

CalHunter 02-17-2020 09:30 AM

Congrats on the new rifle and job Ron! Does the cemetery want you to bring your airgun for pest control at work? Haha. :D

idahoron 02-17-2020 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by CalHunter (Post 4370897)
Congrats on the new rifle and job Ron! Does the cemetery want you to bring your airgun for pest control at work? Haha. :D

Actually they do. I am shooting European Doves and Rock Chucks. I get paid to shoot my rifle.

Bocajnala 02-17-2020 04:30 PM

Now that's a good job!

-Jake

idahoron 09-19-2020 05:47 PM

I really do love my job.

bronko22000 09-20-2020 04:20 PM

Very nice shooting there Ron. I wouldn't worry too much about cleaning that rifle after every outing. Or if you do clean it you'd be best served fouling it before hunting with it.
Those rock chucks are going to be in serious trouble.

idahoron 05-03-2021 05:02 PM

I ordered a suppressor for this rifle. Silencer Central could not find what thread it has. I contacted CZ-USA. I didn't have the serial number with me.
The next day I gave CZ-USA a call. After giving him the numbers he said that rifle isn't supposed to be here in the US.
I asked him about the total number of these rifles here in the US. He could not find that info. I know there is at least 2 or 3 of them. There might be a few. But what he told me was that gun is very rare here in the USA.

bronko22000 05-07-2021 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by idahoron (Post 4391165)
I ordered a suppressor for this rifle. Silencer Central could not find what thread it has. I contacted CZ-USA. I didn't have the serial number with me.
The next day I gave CZ-USA a call. After giving him the numbers he said that rifle isn't supposed to be here in the US.
I asked him about the total number of these rifles here in the US. He could not find that info. I know there is at least 2 or 3 of them. There might be a few. But what he told me was that gun is very rare here in the USA.

I had a similar case a couple years ago. I wanted to buy a LH Tikka T3 in 338 Federal but my dealer couldn't find one. I called Tikka (Sako) and they said that they didn't offer that model in the US! I'm not sure if this has changed since then.