HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Newer Mod. 70 win. in 30-06 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/421058-newer-mod-70-win-30-06-a.html)

seniorcitizen 06-01-2019 06:41 AM

Newer Mod. 70 win. in 30-06

If anyone has a group improvement suggestion for this Mod. 70 made in S. Carolina and assembled in Portugal we're all ears.
My son's had a consistent poor group with all factory brands and weight possibilities available. He convinced Winchester to take it back and they replaced it with a - up-grade - , for whatever that's worth. In this instance not worth much as it doesn't shoot any better than the previous.

Big Uncle 06-01-2019 10:15 AM

I have that rifle (Portugal) chambered in 30-06 in the Featherweight version. Mine averages app. 1.1" - 1.2" for five shot groups at 100 yards with handloads from the bench. The only thing I have ever done to this rifle is adjust the trigger. It is far from a target rifle, but it is a good hunting rifle. How large are the "poor" groups that your son has shot?

seniorcitizen 06-01-2019 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Big Uncle (Post 4356547)
How large are the "poor" groups that your son has shot?

5" is about the best with either of the 2 rifles so it stays in the cabinet in favor of his .270 of another brand I can't recall at the moment..

BOWHUNTERCOP 06-01-2019 11:40 AM

dollar for dollar savage makes one of the best production rifles that most folks can afford ......... Winchester firearms changed so many hands they are are lost, Remington they went down hill over the last few years with poor quality control

Big Uncle 06-02-2019 12:05 PM

I have spoken with a couple of other guys with the same rifle and they were getting about the same results that I am getting. Perhaps it is the ammunition or some issue with the way the rifle is used on the bench. Are the groups fired using sandbags or a padded rest front and rear? How many shots are fired per group? Are the fairly good except for a flier? Are groups normally horizontal, vertical, or just scattered?

It is unlucky that you would get two lemons in a row when most other fellows are getting good results. People generally good products from Winchester (and Remington) in spite of what some claim on the internet. I hope you and your son get this sorted out soon. Do you handload?

Big Uncle 06-12-2019 05:48 AM

I keep a notebook on every rifle that has details of all loading sessions and all range sessions. There is a note in the book for this rifle that says the barrel needs extra effort to clean copper deposits. That is not at all an unusual comment for a factory barrel. Perhaps a bit off elbow grease and JB cleaner will help.

seniorcitizen 06-13-2019 02:25 PM

He has done his homework and it seems as if Winchester didn't do theirs. After sending one back with poor groups it seems as if Winchester would have at least grouped it before shipping. There is no reason a rifle new from the factory should need cleaning other than factory suggestions and there were NONE. So it sets in the gun cabinet looking nice and new and it's looking as if that's where it will stay.

Bocajnala 06-13-2019 03:47 PM

How much does he want for it senior?

-Jake

seniorcitizen 06-13-2019 04:08 PM

I'll pm you when I get the answer.

Bocajnala 06-13-2019 07:14 PM

Thanks for the pm senior.

-Jake