Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Can anyone help?

Old 03-28-2019, 03:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Nomercy448

The 7-08 is one of my favorite specialty pistol cartridges, and an XP100 in 7-08 is one of my favorite firearms of all time. The Encore is more svelte, and in current production, but the same rules of physics apply - the 7-08 has enough bore to make relatively good use of the powder capacity in a short barrel and enough bullet weight to do the job at the other end even at reduced speed. I’m not a huge fan of 308win in any platform, but it sure seems to be popular.

An Encore in 338 Fed, with its big bore to chew up powder in a short barrel, is incredibly intriguing to me as well. Might have to rebarrel one of my Savage Strikers.
Seems we have a couple things in common NoMercy. I'm not a fan of the .308 either. I've taken a few deer with it and it never impressed me. I also busted the snot out of a nice size black bear hitting him in the chest 3 times until it dove into the mountain laurel only to be shot and killed by another hunter about 150 yards away. The 338 federal has perked my interest in the past and I like the 7-08. The reason I am thinking about the .243 is that I am debating getting a used one I found. I like the Encore over the Contender because the Contender needs to be broke open if you cock the hammer and don't fire it. You can recock the Encore.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

Okay, I'm on a device where I can actually type out long responses.

Isn't the answer obvious? Get an Encore chambered in 460 S&W! That's the best compromise. Okay, I'm just kidding. Although that is something I'd like to do at some point come to think of it.

So, the Model 460. . . . It's a powerful revolver. A handcannon. An absolute beast of a handgun. Between the recoil and muzzle blast, it's quite a lot to handle when you touch a round off. I never quite got to the point I could comfortably handle the XVR. That said, you've clearly got some experience with shooting hunting handguns. My best advice to you would be to see if you can find someone with a 460 and ask if you can try it out. That way you could get an idea of what to expect, and whether you think it's something you'd like to pursue. I'm aware that's probably a bit of a stretch.

On the subject of the Encore. There's a lot of options that are more comfortable to shoot than the 460. Hell, my 300 Win Mag kicks less, although with its brake it's just as loud. The only caliber you've mentioned that I've tried is a 243 Winchester barrel, a T/C factory 15" barrel to be specific. I rather liked it, but I ended up getting the 300 barrel because I felt the 243 in an Encore pistol would be marginal for deer. Just a personal opinion, you may feel differently. There's one thing I noticed, though, that you might need to consider. While it's true I wasn't pushing the maximum loads listed in the manual, a potential deer hunting load I came up with drove a 95 grain SST at 2,500 fps. I could have probably pushed them about 100 fps faster, but I digress. The important thing is the 95 grain bullets weren't very accurate at all, and after running the numbers, I don't think they were stable at those speeds with the twist rate. The factory barrels are 1-10", and if you want to use the heavier deer hunting bullets, I think you need a bit faster twist to be able to stabilize those heavier bullets at those speeds. I talked to another guy who had a 1-10" twist Scout pistol who had the same problem. He said he found an 80 grain bullet that worked well, though.

In addition to the 243, looking at Thompson Center's website, you can buy a factory 15" barrel in, 7mm-08, 308, 30-06. Needless to say, all three of those are great options to choose from. The 7mm-08 is probably the one I'd recommend, if I had to choose between the three.

One last thing on the subject of Encore barrels: if you decide to go that route, I highly, highly recommend getting MatchGradeMachine to make you one. Their basic barrels are similar in price to T/C factory barrels, but they are very good quality and highly customizable with regards to length, contour, crown, twist rate, and especially the absolutely ridiculous number of caliber options they offer. Want a 6mm Creedmoor handgun? 350 Rem Mag? 458 Lott? You can made an Encore pistol barrel in it.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by TN Lone Wolf; 03-28-2019 at 07:40 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-30-2019, 05:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the great response Wolf. About the .243 from what info I can gather going from a 20" barrel to a 15" barrel you will lose about 150 fps with an 80 gr bullet and about 250 fps with a 100 gr bullet.(https://rifleshooter.com/2016/04/243...h-on-velocity/)
Back in my younger years many many moons ago all I had was a Savage 110LH in .243. I killed dozens of deer with that rifle and a couple hundred groundhogs. That rifle was like an extension of me and all I ever shot out of it was Hornady Interlock 100 gr RN bullets. I only ever had one deer not drop at the first shot and what I surmised after examination was a faulty bullet that shattered when it hit the shoulder bone. But the second shot while it was running away broke both shoulders and I watched him do a somersault through the scope. My favorite load was 40.5 gr of IMR4350 under that Hornady.
Because the .243 is used I can get a better deal than new. Then I just may take NoMercy's advice and get me a 338 Federal barrel for it.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:45 AM
Typical Buck

I take it you’ve found a used 243 Encore pistol for a good price? Nice.

I guess the 338 Federal would be pretty good, but I think you should go with a 338 Win Mag instead. No brake.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

Bronk needs a .458Lott.

Nothing else will satisfy

-Jake

Last edited by Bocajnala; 03-31-2019 at 04:14 AM.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:52 AM
Typical Buck

i would diffently go with the t/c 460. i have 1 & when i decide to use a hand cannon for deer it's the 460 . there is no game in north america that the 460 won't take down.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

Oh, one more thing I thought of. If you go with a bottleneck cartridge and decide to reload, I’ve found the faster burning powders listed for the cartridge tend to work a bit better in those short barrels.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TN Lone Wolf
Oh, one more thing I thought of. If you go with a bottleneck cartridge and decide to reload, I’ve found the faster burning powders listed for the cartridge tend to work a bit better in those short barrels.
Keep headed down that road. You’ll come back to your senses sooner or later.

The powder which gives the best velocity in a rifle length barrel will do the same in the short barrels.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:03 PM
Typical Buck

While I trust your judgment, my 300 and (former) 243 barrel seemed to prefer otherwise. IMR 4064 worked well in both.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well the .243 Encore will soon be on its way to my FFL. But I won't be able to pick it up until mid to late May when I get back up north. The scope, rings and base are already ordered for it too. Now that I have the base (receiver) the sky's the limit on what I can get for it. From .22 LR to .458 and shotgun and muzzleloader barrels!
And in so much that I've only ever need more than one shot on three occasions in my over 50 years of hunting I just might start selling off all my other guns.....NOT!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.