HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Hi-Point firearms (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/420436-hi-point-firearms.html)

uncle matt 02-24-2019 08:56 AM

Hi-Point firearms

My opinion has always been that they are total garbage. I read this on a sales ad for one of their pistols. Never once do they mention quality.

"Hi-Point produces affordable, American-made firearms featuring 100% American parts and assembly......." Then some blah, blah, blah.

Bocajnala 02-24-2019 10:20 AM

They aren't total garbage. They are exactly what they are marketed to be. A cheap firearm, with American parts and assembly.

But you have to understand that you're buying a $110 Pistol. And have $110 expectations. (Or whatever they cost these days)

I don't own any of the pistols, but have shot quite a few. Some have run flawlessly, some have had jamming issues. But the warranty will repair or replace whatever is wrong.

I do have one of their carbines in 9mm. Its not something that I purchased, but got it in trade for some work I did. It runs any ammo you feed it. And I've only ever sprayed it down with wd40. It's never had A proper cleaning since it came into my possession.

It holds acceptable groups for a truck gun, under 4" at 100 yards. And I've shot a variety of critters with it. Including a coyote at about 130 yards.

The Main point here is.... What do you expect from a cheap firearm? The main criticisms I see are from people saying they're junk, they're not a Glock, they're ugly, etc. And they are right, they aren't a Glock..... They aren't marketed as such either.

The other thing I see is people say (and this would be my advice as well to somebody asking) "don't buy a cheap pistol, save another hundred or two and buy a used s&w, Ruger, Glock etc. " But again.... They aren't marketed to compete with Ruger, s&w, Glock etc. They are marketed to be a $110 pistol. Which is exactly what they are.

I have no problem with somebody building cheap things. They might not be anything that I want to own.... But I'm not going to jump up and down saying "they're garbage they're garbage!"

They are exactly what they're marketed as.

As a side note everything I've heard about their warranty is exceptional. They pretty much replace whatever is broken for free.

-jake

mrbb 02-24-2019 10:39 AM

I sold a lot of them, and I will say I agree, there a OK gun, for the price point, big ugly, but they do work more than not
all the more so the carbine's
and actually the carbines have been over achievers IMO !

if anyone is buying a cheap gun and expecting it to be a GREAT gun, with all high end parts and fitting and functions, your kidding yourself.
there cheap, for a reason
but they do again work, and are SAFE
legal liability /law suits make them be safe! in today's sue happy world!

Nomercy448 02-24-2019 01:20 PM

I have had 3 of the High Point Carbines, I beat the he11 out of them, and they kept running. Not the greatest ergonomics, not the greatest aesthetic, but they held up and did what they were supposed to do, and fed more reliably than the Beretta CX4 Storm carbine I thought was going to be an upgrade.

They’re not great pistols, but accurate enough and durable enough. Someone shooting 10,000rnds per year can afford a better pistol, and will recognize a better pistol to hold one. But for someone on a shoestring who just wants a pistol for the nightstand and to learn a little, they are what they are, and what they are is “okay.”

bronko22000 02-24-2019 04:41 PM

I read an article on 3 carbines, the HiPoint, the Beretta, and another which I cannot remember. They were tested on reliability, ergonomics and functionality and the HiPoint came out on top! I know it sounds hard to believe. I also had one and gave it to my cousin. But that thing would shoot and shoot and shoot without a single hic-cup.

Bocajnala 02-24-2019 07:14 PM

As I've seen on other reviews, the carbines always get more praise.

A friend of mine was raised in an anti gun household . I took him shooting back in 2006 and he decided he wanted to buy a gun. I gave him lots of good advice, but he still chose to go buy a hipoint 9mm pistol.

Fast forward to today, he has over 30 guns. Including Remingtons, Marlins, kimbers, Berettas, etc. He's taken deer, hogs, lots of small game and will probably be heading west with me for antelope this fall.

It all started with a cheap hi point. (Which he still has and shoots regularly.)

-Jake

hunters_life 02-27-2019 12:51 PM

Almost every range (indoor) I have been too do not allow Hipoint handguns on the range. There has to be a reason for that other than rumor.

mrbb 02-27-2019 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by hunters_life (Post 4352569)
Almost every range (indoor) I have been too do not allow Hipoint handguns on the range. There has to be a reason for that other than rumor.

never see them banned from any range I been t, but been a while since I went to one(have access to lots of places to shoot)
find out and post back here
as I know of NO reason to NOT allow them, sold a lot of them and never seen one do any hard to anyone, jam now and then UP< but seen that happen to some very VERY high end guns as well and I mean one's that cost well over 30 grand? that jammed ?
EVERY single gun I ever seen blow up, come apart, was due to a Ammo related problem, NOT the gun itself too!
OR Human error!

and have seen several of these accidents over my yrs on gun ranges and training! over a few millions rounds I been about on ranges!

have even had two happen to me! BOTH on higher end brand name guns!

Bocajnala 02-27-2019 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by hunters_life (Post 4352569)

I have heard of instructors not allowing them in their classes.

I've never heard of a range not allowing one.

A quick Google search also returned no results of ranges not allowing hi points. In their rules, or as being mentioned on other forums.

I would be interested in hearing from these ranges why they do not allow them

-Jake

mrbb 02-27-2019 07:38 PM

I also knew of trainers and instructors that refused to train folks with them
and there main concern was for the person safety when CARRYING the gun, as these guns are not the MOST reliable , and the point of a GOOD conceal carry or duty gun is to be as reliable as possible
so, that was why many I knew that trained, didn;'t want them in there classes, along with many other low priced guns/
but again it was never due to the guns being UN safe to fire on a range!
it was about them trying to inform the shooter, that,this is maybe not the caliber of gun you want to BET your life on!
and to this I would honestly agree!

BACK in the 90's I knew many police officers that came into my shop wanting to buy one for a duty gun(before all the restrictions an what they can carry)
and talked many out of buying them for like reasons!
sold a lot to guys that wanted a cheap gun to waste ammo with however and never worried or felt bad selling THEM them LOL