Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Hi-Point firearms

Old 02-27-2019, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, an instructor is free to limit what is allowed in their classes, and should. A poor performing pistol takes up allot of time from teaching when an instructor has to stop range time to deal with a problem pistol.

Again, I've never heard of a range not allowing a hi point.

I'd be interested in getting a phone number for a few of these ranges so that I can call them and talk to them about this and see what they've experienced that led to that decision.
​​​​​​-Jake
Old 03-06-2019, 03:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by hunters_life
Almost every range (indoor) I have been too do not allow Hipoint handguns on the range. There has to be a reason for that other than rumor.
Seems to me that "a lot of ranges" are mis-informed on Hi-Point pistols. True they are butt ugly. But they are a simple design and IMO are pretty reliable. Let's put it this way I'd rather have a HiPoint pistol than no pistol at all.
I mean look at Taurus. A lot of guys call them junk too. I have 3 Taurus pistols and 2 revolvers and never once has any failed for any reason at all.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Has anyone else heard of ranges banning them? Not classes, but actual ranges?

-Jake
Old 03-07-2019, 11:59 AM
Spike

I absolutely love my 9mm carbine. 1000's of rounds through it without any jams or misfires. Just as accurate as any other high priced 9mm carbine.

Thread started by gun snob...
Old 04-09-2019, 10:47 AM
Typical Buck

I totally forgot about this thread until I was doing some research today on the current banned semi's in Cook county for a buddy and discovered why they are banned in every range around here. They aren't even sold here in Illinois or I haven't seen one in a case at any of the gun shops I frequent. IL has a melting point law and Hipoint doesn't meet the requirements.

(720 ILCS 5/24-3) (from Ch. 38, par. 24-3)
Sec. 24-3. Unlawful sale or delivery of firearms.
(A) A person commits the offense of unlawful sale or delivery of firearms when he or she knowingly does any of the following:

(h) While holding any license as a dealer, importer,
manufacturer or pawnbroker under the federal Gun Control
Act of 1968, manufactures, sells or delivers to any
unlicensed person a handgun having a barrel, slide, frame
or receiver which is a die casting of zinc alloy or any
other nonhomogeneous metal which will melt or deform at a
temperature of less than 800 degrees Fahrenheit. For
purposes of this paragraph, (1) “firearm” is defined as in
the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act; and (2)
“handgun” is defined as a firearm designed to be held and
fired by the use of a single hand, and includes a
combination of parts from which such a firearm can be
assembled.
For some reason I can't find why polymer firearms aren't in this. Because polymers certainly have a melting point lower than 800f. But that is the reason they aren't allowed in the ranges around here. It was also known as the "Saturday night special" law.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Because the law calls out zinc alloys and other non-homogeneous metals, and nothing else.