Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Looking to buy a couple of hunting rifles >

Looking to buy a couple of hunting rifles

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Looking to buy a couple of hunting rifles

Old 02-25-2019, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter
So a 6mm Creed instead of a 6.5mm? I'm curious and very interested in this choice.
I had found the 243win to be the most efficient and effective-without-concessions cartridge for deer species probably 12-13yrs ago (I know it was before I met the crazy redhead I dated before I met my wife). But the 243win really needed a custom fast twist barrel not available on most factory rifles to handle the heavier pills I prefer for the job. Enter the 6mm Creedmoor - not quite the same speed, but dang close, and commensurately better barrel life, and a SAAMI twist recommendation compatible with 105-115grn bullets.

I have had two 6.5 Creedmoor’s, I don’t really find much utility in it. More recoil and more drop than my 6’s, but not really enough “more killing power” for elk/bear/moose/bison type game for me to say my deer and elk rifle should be the same rifle. It’s a better option for the average hunter/shooter who wants readily available factory ammo and wants better barrel life, but for me, I’ll burn out 6mm’s with a smile on my face.

I’ll admit, I’m hard pressed to say 6 Creed over 6 Dasher, and I have been very happy with 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC, and really lump these into the same class for hunting applications. Any of these, or 6 SLR, fast twist 243win, or a half dozen other 6’s, same same on game...

I’ll also admit, I just got my hands on a 6mm Grendel variant barrel, 243 LBC, which I am very excited to play with this year. Should be able to send 105 Hybrids out at 2850fps, basically as fast as my low node in 6 creed in my last 24” barrel - but running ~28grn 8208 instead of 40grn H4350.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm surprised I didn't see 300WM, 300WSM, or 7mm mag in any of the responses. They'll do the '06's job plus a little more, but it's hard to argue with the recommendations. Two rifles to cover almost everything...375H&H for big stuff, and .270 for the smaller stuff (not counting rodents)
Old 05-03-2019, 07:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Only two rifles? Just like everyone else has said. For the occasional big bears, moose or elk you'd be hard pressed to beat a .338 WinMag or a 375 H&H or Ruger. Both have quite a bit more recoil than the 30-06 (which BTW will also kill these animals). For a lighter recoiling rifle for deer, antelope, black bear, etc there is a huge number of chamberings you can go with.
Anything from the .243 on up. My personal choice would be 7-08, 260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmore or .270 win.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

I have no idea why so many guys are so reluctant to use the larger bore calibers,
yes the cartridge does produce more recoil, you can,t ignore physics, but I have to point out ,
a proper stock fit, proper use of a recoil pad, rifle sling and a muzzle brake,
can go a long way towards mitigating felt recoil
sew a recoil pad into your vest helps a great deal

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/69...d-ambidextrous

https://blog.1800gunsandammo.com/six...ng-gun-recoil/
Old 05-04-2019, 10:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by hardcastonly
I have no idea why so many guys are so reluctant to use the larger bore calibers,
yes the cartridge does produce more recoil, you can,t ignore physics, but I have to point out ,
a proper stock fit, proper use of a recoil pad, rifle sling and a muzzle brake,
can go a long way towards mitigating felt recoil
sew a recoil pad into your vest helps a great deal
I would have happily choose the .45-70 but considering most of the terrain that elk are found and a shot of 300+ yards is possible the good old .45-70's trajectory would be less desirable in the hands of someone not familiar with it. With the .338 though that shot would be fairly easy in capable hands.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Id agree the 300 mags 338 win, 338/06, 35 whelen are all well proven performers
Old 05-04-2019, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I’m “reluctant” to drive my F-350 as a commuter in town, the same as I am “reluctant” to use a 338win mag for whitetails.

There’s just not much sense in burning 75-90grn of powder for a job that 30-45grn accomplished perfectly well. He11, I don’t even like the idea of wasting 60grns running 30-06 for deer anymore. Not when 42grn will do the job just as well, or 28grn for that matter. I burned the powder as a magnumitis sufferer for enough years to have learned working smarter, not harder, usually pays off.