Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Taurus G2C

Old 12-22-2018, 04:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Taurus G2C

Picked up one of these pistols the other week in 9mm. Its a striker fired pistol and comes with two 12 round mags. Sighting it in was a breeze shooting my 124 gr RN Berry bullets. My friend also picked one up but he got the 7 round version. After sighting it in at the stripping pit where we shoot I notices several clay birds that were not busted about 45-50 yards out. I decided to try my luck much to my friend's snickering. Well it turned out that I hit more of them than I missed or at least was close enough to bust them. The pistol is really accurate. The only complaint I have is the trigger is not the best. Not near as good as my M&Ps. but I can shoot it a heck of a lot better than my M&P Shield. I may just sell the Shield and keep this.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great testimonal for the revamped Taurus. My sis-in-law got a G2C on the Millenium recall, but she insisted we sell it as she had lost too much faith in Taurus after her PT111 had so many issues in feeding, then being recalled, AND taking over a year to get her recall processed (AND then they sent her replacement pistol to the wrong FFL in the wrong state, which delayed it a further few weeks). I heavily considered buying it from her to use as a loaner pistol in my classes, as it did function quite well, but I found another buyer within days who would pick it up at full retail price - better for my SIL than what I wanted to give.

I’ll admit I’m a little disappointed in how Taurus has handled that debacle. Rather than a redesign and launch, the G2C is really just the PT111 Gen2 Compact Millenium, but they distanced themselves from the old model branding and the hairy recall. Fair sport, for sure, but it could have been handled better.

For the money, there may not be a better pistol available on the market. But it’s hard for a lot of folks to deign to buy a Taurus poly pistol.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

NoMercy I've never had a problem with Taurus. I currently own the G2C above and only had one issue with it which I'll get to in a second. The others I have are a stainless 99 and a PT1911. Neither of these pistols have ever malfunctioned - never. No failure to feed or failure to fire or eject. I used my PT1911 in my first ever bowling pin match and won shooting against guys with Ed Browns, Kimbers and Les Baer 1911s. Not that its a better pistol. But because it functioned perfectly and I can shoot it very well. I also have a 4" barreled Tracker lightweight in .44 mag. I shoot lighter loads in this because full house .44s are a real handful. Not like shooting my S&W 29. but the trigger is nice and it is accurate. I had a snub nosed .357 that I used to carry a lot but sold it when I got my M&P40.
The issue I had with this G2C was during the course of shooting about 200 rounds I had 3 failure to fire. Primer was dented good but did not go off. I gave the rounds to my friend and his G2S fired them. So when I got home I took the pistol apart and sprayed the crap out of the striker assembly with Gun Scrubber (synthetic safe) over a waste bucket. Boy was there the gunk in it. Since then I haven't had an issue with a FTF.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 99 and 1911 are great pistols, which even had a large following for Bullseye matches several years ago. And their steel revolvers are really quite good, not quite as refined and robust as Ruger’s, not as refined as Smiths, but very good revolvers. A Taurus Tracker in 17HMR might even be one of my top 3 favorite firearms of all time. But I have found myself doing a lot of work on their Polymer pistols. The two Curves I had wouldn’t feed no matter what I did - which is why I got the second one, on warranty replacement of the first. I’ve had a lot of the PT111’s on my bench to correct feeding issues. The feed ramp geometry and rails on the PT111 Millenium were all wrong, and the tolerances in the slide were a bear to work for reliable feeding. And of course, their fire control recall business. The G2c - which is the Millenium Gen 2 Compact “G2C” fixed those issues, mostly. They have a good trigger, especially for their price point, and good ergonomics.

I probably should have bought my sis-in-law’s G2C when she got it as her recall replacement, but a guy on my rifle club was willing to give full retail for it, $50 more than I wanted it, so I passed. Really good pistol, and like I said, probably the best option on the market at its price point.