Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 using sling when shooting >

using sling when shooting

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

using sling when shooting

Old 05-18-2005, 05:18 AM

Default using sling when shooting

I heard someone talking about using their sling to steady their shot. He said that the police use this technique. Does anyone know how to do this.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:44 AM

Default RE: using sling when shooting

SCHOOLBOY,
Let me try to tackle this one for you. You need to have your sling adjusted so that when you shoulder your rifle and take an underhand wrap with your RH for righties, LH for lefties, the rifle is tightly locked in to your shoulder. This will give you a much steadier aiming platform. There are slings out there that are made with rubber and are designed to give you the tightness without taking the wrap, but I don't care for them. Hope this helps.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

What swampman described is called a 'hasty sling' its used mainly for taking offhand shots from standing when there is little time to 'sling up.'

Police and highpower shooters use a cuf sling which attaches to the upper arm and locks the rifle into place.

Here's a relatively crude set of pictures on how to use a 1907 sling. http://www.fulton-armory.com/slinguse.htm

On using a web sling http://iowahighpower.com/dsm/downloads/websling.PDF#search='using%20m1%20sling'

There's also a sling out there that is being used more and more by police tactical shooters called the 'ching sling.' This sling has some of the advantages of a cuff sling like the 1907 and M1 slings, but can be put into use about as fast as a hasty sling with much more support.

http://www.thewilderness.com/pdf/Chingsling.pdf#search='ching%20sling'
Old 05-18-2005, 11:07 AM

Yes, heres a good article on using a sling.
http://www.rifleshootermag.com/shoot...ps/sling_0612/
Old 05-18-2005, 12:47 PM

I find myself using a sling less and less for hunting. Used the Harris bipods for years, but lately have settled in on the new "Safari Sticks" from Stoney Point. These can be adjusted for heights all the way from sitting to standing, and make a nice lightweight walking stick when out in the field.

PS: Still use a sling for carrying the rifle - the neoprene ones that stretch a little are great - make the rifle seem a pound lighter.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:55 PM

Roskoe,
The neoprene slings I have tried seem a little bouncy when you're really humping some ground. They irritated me to the point I won't use them any more. But I do agree that they make a rifle seem lighter.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:50 PM

I think the bouncing/stretching of the neoprene is what makes it feel lighter - the up and down motion of walking must be jarring the shoulder/collarbone a lot more with a leather or nylon sling. And you get used to the rifle moving up and down as you walk . . .
Old 05-19-2005, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

It took me awhile to relocate this one, but here is a link done by a highpower shooter showing how to set up an m1 sling and a 1907 sling on a scmidt rubin rifle.

http://p084.ezboard.com/fcollectorgu...opicID=2.topic

Therifleshootermag article is good, but no serious shooters use nylon slings. They are too slippery to hold their adjustments well and a $5 canvas web m1 sling is not only far superior to a nylon, but is an excellent shooting sling in its own right.

I've used both the leather 1907 and canvas m1 slings but find myself always going back to the m1 sling. The only downsides of the m1 sling is that they aren't pretty to look at and have a noisy metal buckle.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:08 PM

If one has time and gets use to it,using a sling wrapped around your arm does help steady ones aim,and once a person gets use to doing it its automatic just like tieing your shoes. vangunsmith
Old 05-21-2005, 09:22 AM

The other thing to keep in mind about slings is that they will often change the point of impact of the rifle - unless of course you sighted it in from the slinged position. This is particularly true with rifles that aren't free floated in the barrel channel.

Quick Reply: using sling when shooting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.