Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

What a difference

Old 12-30-2018, 07:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default What a difference

Not sure if this is the right spot for this but....I don't have any problems shooting handguns as far as accuracy. Now I'm no expert but I can usually hit what I'm aiming at with some consistency. However, saying that, I was having a heck of a time with my M&P Shield 9mm shooting what I would consider all over the place. My M&P40 I can shoot great as well as my other handguns. But not the Shield even though I carry it all the time. All the while I was blaming it on the grip being too small and it turns out I was right. A bit over a week ago I saw a product called the Hogue Hand-all. This is a rubber sleeve that fits over the polymer grip of the pistol and is pistol specific. I ordered one and got it a couple days ago and installed it. (read the directions and follow them for ease of installation). The feel of the pistol is not totally different and much more comfortable. It fills my "gorilla" hands nicely and provides a better non-slip surface.
This morning I took the Shield out to test it and was pleasantly surprised at how well it and I shot. At 12 yards I was able to keep all rounds from two magazines (14) into a 2" cluster right at the point of aim. My confidence in this little pistol has now been restored.
If you're having the same issue it may be a good idea to look this product up.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

After reading your comments I bought the Pachmayr version for a Ruger LCP. It is inexpensive and the slight palm swell and rubber gives it a little better grip. It is thin enough that the LCP still fits in it's holsters. The only tiny negative that I see is that the sticky rubber feels different in my pocket. Not bad for $10.

I will soon order another one for my Shield.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
After reading your comments I bought the Pachmayr version for a Ruger LCP. It is inexpensive and the slight palm swell and rubber gives it a little better grip. It is thin enough that the LCP still fits in it's holsters. The only tiny negative that I see is that the sticky rubber feels different in my pocket. Not bad for $10.
I will soon order another one for my Shield.

So are you experiencing the same issue I was with my Shield? Judging from your forum name I assume you have big paws too like me!
I can't believe the difference with and without the grip sleeve. Accuracy and control is much better with the sleeve.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

All my gloves are size XL so I have always been somewhat challenged in shooting the mouse guns like the LCP. I have not had the chance to shoot the LCP more than a couple of shots since adding the sleeve but it does feel better than another LCP I have that does not have the sleeve.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:40 PM
Typical Buck

Bronko, I would also suggest you try the 8 round extender mag for that pistol. It only adds a finger width but it really does make a big difference in shooting. I have one for my BUG and it shoots really well for what it is. If you are carrying it as a main, it carries well at the 4 o'clock position with a nice forward cant, with the extender mag, it still doesn't print much at all. I carry it in the small of the back and don't even notice it's there most of the time.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by hunters_life
Bronko, I would also suggest you try the 8 round extender mag for that pistol. It only adds a finger width but it really does make a big difference in shooting. I have one for my BUG and it shoots really well for it is. If you are carrying it as a main, it carries well at the 4 o'clock position with a nice forward cant, with the extender mag, it still doesn't print much at all. I carry it in the small of the back and don't even notice it's there most of the time.
HL - I do carry toward the small of the back. But being a southpaw I'm more of an 8:30 man then a 4:00. Carrying at 4 O'clock for me would make drawing just a little difficult. LOL I have it in a ProCarry On Duty holster made by The Holster Store right here in FL.
When I'm stomping the woods or patroling them on my ATV I usually carry my S&W 44 in a cross draw holster along with a couple of speed loaders behind it. As much as I like shooting DA revolvers being lefty means I must switch hands to open and dump the cylinder. Then back into the left hand to reload using a speed loader or singly, grab with the right hand to close the cylinder then transfer back to the left hand. We lefties have to do a lot to adapt to a right hand world. Do you know how hard it is to find a left handed hammer or hand saw!

Last edited by bronko22000; 02-05-2019 at 05:00 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:53 AM
Typical Buck

LOL. Yeah I heard the old man cussing about it all the time. He just learned to do everything right handed. I have heard those lefty hammers are mighty scarce. I'm pretty much ambi with everything except writing and overhand throwing. Even trained ambi on traditional archery equipment. Old man said you never know when you might get a paw or a wing busted up and have to rely on your weak side. Best medicine for that is not to have a weak side. Made sense to me.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't bowl worth a d@mned, but I REALLY can't bowl left handed. Everything else, I can do either hand. I go back and forth which hand I carry for. I wrestled left handed through most of high school and college, but my natural wrestling/grappling/kickboxing stance is right handed - so more often, I carry right handed, since I'd naturally take that stance. It also affords me the opportunity to use my jab (left) and hooking elbow, to create space if needed.

I've carried an LCP virtually daily since they dropped in 2008, and the Hogue rubber grip wrap makes a night and day difference in how well I control the little pistol. I don't have long fingers, but I do have wide hands and thick fingers - the concave magwell profile of the grip makes the LCP very difficult to grip. The Hogue wrap fills that in perfectly for my hand.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:29 PM
Typical Buck

I've seen those catchers mitts you call hands Nomercy. I don't see how you can effectively hold and use those tiny little lcp's. I know I sure can't. The little S&W like Bronko's is as small as I can go and be anywhere near accurate as well as speedy if needed.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

After having the Pachmayr sleeve on the tiny LCP for a little while now I can say that I really like the way it feels. It is not going to turn a mouse gun into a 1911 but it sure helps.