Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Seekins Havak?

Old 02-03-2018, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Seekins Havak?

Anybody? Saw one on a shelf about a month ago, 6 creedmoor, Rock creek 5R, 510 trigger, McM Game Warden (think new old stock?). Been nagging in the back of my head ever since. If it's there in the morning, unless I have a sudden change of heart, it'll likely be in my safe by lunch. Not really a full custom rifle, but pretty close in form and function to one I'd build for myself, just can't get her out of my head, so I figure that's enough reason to bring it home - BUT I haven't seen anything on them, so I'm wondering if anyone has any good or bad to say about them?

Old 02-03-2018, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

glen does awesome work on his products, but can't say about the rifles, never heard of them.
RR
Old 02-03-2018, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
glen does awesome work on his products, but can't say about the rifles, never heard of them.
RR
That’s largely where I’m sitting - Everything I have ever touched which had the Seekins logo was top notch, handling the rifle in the shop, it seems to follow suit. The locking lugs are a little different, but I think it’s a fine design. I favor the A3 or A5 from McM, but the Game Warden is very similar to the A3, which is relatively rare for me - finding a factory stock which fits me and my bum wrist (not really factory, of course).

If it’s there in the morning, unless lightning strikes, I’ll be necking down Lapua creedmoor brass by lunch.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I haven't seen one in person yet, but everything I've read about them is positive. I haven't heard a single negative thing about them.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

c.mon NM, cough it up, how'd it do?
RR
Old 02-04-2018, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, bad news...

Bad news for my credit card statement, that is!!

It’s keeping warm in the safe beside some new friends. I found a line on some 105 Berger Hybrids today, picking them up Monday from another shooter, and I have some Vortex branded Seekins medium rings and both Redding and Hornady dies in the mail, all should be here by the time I get back from work this week. I’ve had a Bushnell DMR II collecting dust for a few months, so that’ll go on top once the rings arrive. Had plenty of Lapua 6.5 creed brass on hand, and about 8lbs left of H4350, so we should be cooking next weekend.

The new Seekins bottom metal is a bit different, and I’m going to need some time to adjust. It’s not the old push button type I’ve used and not the typical exposed lever release, but rather has the lever integral to the trigger guard. It’s great for being snag proof and it looks fantastic, but I’m struggling a bit to get the magpul AICS pattern mags to pull free, since my thumb is inside the trigger guard and I end up putting a weird force on the mag body trying to pull it free. Real metal body AICS and Accurate Mags pull free easily, so I may be happy to be a mag snob and simply stick with the metal Accurate and AI mags I have. I was a little dismayed at first that this one has the blackened bolt and handle, vs. the new all stainless ones, BUT - I read this is a DLC black, not just bluing, and sure enough, with a spritz of Hornady One Shot Dry, it’s slicker than goose schitt on a bootheel.

The Timney 510 is what it’s supposed to be (a great trigger) - although I do have a Jewel HVR in the drawer, which MAY get transplanted sooner than later. The 510 is a great trigger though, and I really can’t justify any legitimate complaint with it.

The McMillan Game Warden stock is a little narrow on the comb for my liking, BUT I almost universally need a cheek riser, and this rifle doesn’t seem to be an exception, so I won’t be feeling the stock comb once it’s up and running anyway. I have a machinist on my staff who will cut a delrin riser however I need it, so I’ll be planning for that as soon as I get the scope mounted and my cheek height confirmed. I’ll be tearing it out of the stock next weekend to see if it’s already skimmed in, and doing so if it is not. Like any McMillan stock I have handled or owned, it’s a very well made stock, and is very, very stiff in the forend.

It’ll get a SiCo ASR muzzle brake and spend a few months waiting while my Omega is in jail. It’ll most likely be fired exclusively suppressed once my stamp clears.

My wife is insistent - and I tend to agree - the pea soup puke green stock is going to need a cerakote job soon. If she shoots well, I’ll be thinking of some graffiti for the stock, probably do something in a GAP or Kuiu camo pattern with some accent graphic on the sidewall of the buttstock.

All in all, I’m hoping it shoots as good as it feels and looks. Range reports (and plenty of shameless brag posts) to follow in the near future.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats on the new addition
RR
Old 02-05-2018, 03:26 AM
Super Moderator

Oh man... more creedmoor posts coming soon.......

SOunds like a fine rifle! It should shoot!

-Jake
Old 02-05-2018, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it makes you feel any better, Jake, being disappointed in the 6.5 Creed was really why I am interested in the 6mm version - It’s a bit lacking on horsepower for the 147+ bullets which would be nice for longer ranges. I’m finding time to play a lot more steel games lately, had a lot of fun last season, and I’m looking forward to shooting inside the 140’s of the 6.5 with the 105 Hybrids in the 6 creed this season.

If all goes well with the action, my long term plan for this rifle - right now at least - is to likely end up as a 6 SLR after the factory barrel is smoked, running necked and bumped Lapua Palma brass, but they don’t sell it in 6 SLR, so I gotta feed it what it eats. That’s one down side of buying a factory rifle...
Old 02-05-2018, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

Most of the guys I know that are shooting the creed likely aren't aware that there is a 6mm version available lol....

But they're all able to shoot a thousand with their creed, ya know.

-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.