Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Henry Single Shot Rifles >

Henry Single Shot Rifles

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Henry Single Shot Rifles

Old 09-18-2017, 01:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

No. 1's are famous for being beautiful rifles, in which the beauty only runs skin deep. The two piece stock design and the forend hanger are one issue. The truth of the receiver and barrel shoulder, combined with the slop in the falling block mechanism are another. Great rifles, don't get me wrong, but in their day, Steven's 200's would shoot groups fully inside those printed by No.1's, for about 1/3 of the cost. Today, base model Savage 12 FCV/FV's can be had for 1/4-1/5 the cost of a No.1, and shoot far better.

As Ridge Runner mentioned, it doesn't take much for an AR off of the rack to out shoot a No.1. I accumulated No.1's and No.3's for a time, not even the No.1V's earned what I'd class as "accurate," especially for the price point. Accurate enough? Sure. Accurate? Not really.

Henry's have a few polished models, but overall, they've never been famous for high standards for precision nor polish. Marlin going out of business and getting revamped by Rem/Freedom/Cerberus and Winchester also going under and repurposing the 94's into all foreign manufacture (at HIGH price points) were the best things which ever happened to Henry. They too make good enough rifles, but they're overall ungainly in design, and not particularly well finished - but looking good against their current competition isn't exactly a high bar either, so they're selling better now than they have in the last century.

Is there really a well built single shot on the market today which both shoots good AND has a worthy fit and finish? Eh, probably not, and certainly not in the price class of the Henry's. It's just not a high demand market.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Is there really a well built single shot on the market today which both shoots good AND has a worthy fit and finish? Eh, probably not, and certainly not in the price class of the Henry's. It's just not a high demand market.
As I mentioned before. My Handi rifle in .223 would keep bullets in a nickel all day long. And I really mean that. But the butt stock looked like someone whittled a 2x6 to fir the receiver and the barrel (a bull barrel) looked like it was finished with on a belt sander with 120 grit paper! It was really butt heavy even with the bull barrel. But darn the thing could shoot.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

my number 1V 22-250 will shoot an average 1.585" at 250 yards with a meticulously worked up handload, that's just acceptable, far from good, the forend has been floated, trigger is hopeless without serious machine work. My RRA will run an inch with cheap reman soft point ammo, and cost less in todays dollars.
RR
Old 09-18-2017, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

For a few years now, i have hunted with this single shot 6.5 BR magnum. It is a nicely built rifle. Fit and finish is good. Trigger is wonderful. Accuracy beats any AR i have owned. Half moa at 200 yard is not unusual. It is light, and compact. For hunting it is about perfect. Barrel is heavy like a target barrel, but the over all rifle is light, and short. Last season, an antelope dropped like a rock over 300 yard out, and a deer at around 175 yard fell out of my view, right now. 30-30 brass is easy form in two steps, and trim to length, then fire form. Shoulder is pushed a way forward. Recoil is nil. Sweet. ☺
Old 09-18-2017, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

For a few years now, i have hunted with this single shot 6.5 BR magnum. It is a nicely built rifle. Fit and finish is good. Trigger is wonderful. Accuracy beats any AR i have owned. Half moa at 200 yard is not unusual. It is light, and compact. For hunting it is about perfect. Barrel is heavy like a target barrel, but the over all rifle is light, and short. Last season, an antelope dropped like a rock over 300 yard out, and a deer at around 175 yard fell out of my view, right now. 30-30 brass is easy form in two steps, and trim to length, then fire form. Shoulder is pushed a way forward. Recoil is nil. Sweet. ☺

__
Old 09-18-2017, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
got 2 #1's, paid 650 bucks each for them in '92 don't shoot like the price should warrant, triggers suk, will never buy another my RRA Varminter will shoot circles around my #1V.
RR
Do you think it is the model, or that 1992 was 25 years ago? How were triggers back then in general, compared cheap bolts we see now?
Old 09-18-2017, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

It was the model. Ruger triggers are heavy, especially so in the 90's and 2000's, and the Ruger No.1's were not immune. Even the earlier models were heavier than any of the "Savage style" triggers you'll see on the market today, and heavier than the XMP Remingtons. Ruger has a history of positive sear geometry, which is incredibly safe, but makes for a very heavy trigger. And of course, $650 in 1992 is $1150 today, which is about on par with what some No.1's were listed in their last years. You could buy a less expensive, more accurate rifle with a better trigger when the No.1's were in production, and you remain to be able to do so today.

It wasn't just Ridge's one rifle - it was the No.1's as a whole.

They're absolutely sexy rifles, and they balance and feel a lot more like a bolt action than some of the other break action single shots on the market (albeit the No.1's are very heavy) - because a lot of the break action rifles are rather minimalistic. I only have one No.1 left, and if my wife didn't like it so much, I wouldn't have it. I do wish I still had one of the International's with the full length stock in 7maus or 6.5 swede left, but I sold the dozen I had of the Internationals as a set, and made a killing on my investment back in 2010.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Ron, for some reason I have a hard time picturing a "magnum" anything with a 30-30 parent case, My 6.5 Gibbs has take dozens of whitetails out to 1100 yards.
RR
Old 09-21-2017, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

You don't think 2650 fps 120 grain Nosler is a magnum?

With a cds dial it is good for 400 yard kill. Wonder who gave it the magnum moniker? ☺

__
Old 09-21-2017, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Im rather fond of that 97D rifle but the price is more than i could afford.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.