Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
An update on my 1911 .45 ACP (Rock Island Armory - from the Philippines) >

An update on my 1911 .45 ACP (Rock Island Armory - from the Philippines)

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

An update on my 1911 .45 ACP (Rock Island Armory - from the Philippines)

Old 07-07-2017, 04:41 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Ed, I don't know how you rack your slide but if you are puling it back between your thumb and forefinger that may be your problem. Try cupping your hand over the slide at the ejection port and using you whole hand to rack the slide back.
Yep, that's exactly what I was doing. I thought that was what you were suppose to do. I'll have to try what you suggested. I wonder if all slide action pistols are like that?

Thanks for the tip!!
Old 07-08-2017, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

You're doing it right. The only "lightweight" semi-auto that you can rack with a thumb & index finger, is a compact .380 like the Ruger LCP.

The classic 1911 is a beast and always has been. Given the heavy gauge steel frame, steel slide, steel magazine, etc.. It averages 2.7 lbs and means business!

I have a good friend of mine from our Masonic lodge, who has shot my 1911 at the range, and jokingly nicknamed her "Big Bertha"! LOL...
Old 10-24-2017, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

I have two 1911s one in 45 and a 10mm that I just bought and love it just as much as my 45. The 10mm is a rock island.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

edmehlig-the idea is to push/push when you have hand cupped over slide. If you push the frame forward while pushing the slide backwards, it effectively lessens the effort to rack the slide. You're lucky-my 460 Rowland kit uses a 24# recoil spring, and those are a BEAR to rack!
Old 10-26-2017, 10:58 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by stalkingbear
You're lucky-my 460 Rowland kit uses a 24# recoil spring, and those are a BEAR to rack!
I have a stainless SR1911 that I'm looking to do the Rowland 460 conversion to. Is the heavier spring absolutely needed? Thought some guys were running stock springs for that very reason (PITA to rack).