Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Browning BPS

Old 05-31-2017, 08:09 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by MaineRida
Never shot a 10, ouch. I've shot a 12 with 3.5" and that was enough!
I have shot both and the 10 is way more enjoyable to shoot than the 12ga. 3.5, my bps 10 unloaded weighs over 10 pounds where alot of 12 ga weigh in around 7 pounds
Old 06-02-2017, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I received the gun this morning, it is in great shape. It has been shot or at least the action has been cycled a few times and there is a ding or two on the buttstock but you have to look for them. Too pretty to take to the field, I will pattern it out of curiosity to see how it shoots and use the old Savage. Well, maybe use it for some fall dove hunting.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Jenks
I received the gun this morning, it is in great shape. It has been shot or at least the action has been cycled a few times and there is a ding or two on the buttstock but you have to look for them. Too pretty to take to the field, I will pattern it out of curiosity to see how it shoots and use the old Savage. Well, maybe use it for some fall dove hunting.
It is always nice to take such a gun into the field to let others experience it as well.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Younggun. I have been reading up on the Invector system, someone wrote that the plus system has a .740 bore while the old system has a .728 bore. It is supposed to improve patterns and velocity to some degree. I tracked down a modified tube and a wrench, it is supposed to have a full tube in it. I bought it because it was pretty, won't use it much because I don' use my old Savage pump much. Thanks again.
I doubt the over bore will increase velocity, but it will give more consistent and even patterns. Also, and this is purely personal opinion, I would get rid of the original chokes, put in a drawer or whatever, if you are planning on shooting it much. Go to a set of extended chokes. Especially if you are planning on using just 1 tube more than any of the others. I have had to remove more chokes than I care to count that were flush mount chokes and were not serviced/maintained properly. The owner did not put choke tube lube or anti-seize grease on them and they locked into place. A nightmare to get out!!!
Old 06-09-2017, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 12, very nice shotgun. I love the looks and functionality.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks SecondChance. I have the Browning chokes, full, modified and imp. cylinder. I took the full out and put the modified in after lubing it up good with breech plug/choke grease. I won't be shooting it much and will remove the choke tube with each cleaning and clean the threads. I may get the extra full later on, it is an extended tube. I clean guns a lot more then I shoot them so I don't think I will have any problems.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks SecondChance. I have the Browning chokes, full, modified and imp. cylinder. I took the full out and put the modified in after lubing it up good with breech plug/choke grease. I won't be shooting it much and will remove the choke tube with each cleaning and clean the threads. I may get the extra full later on, it is an extended tube. I clean guns a lot more then I shoot them so I don't think I will have any problems.
Atta boy!!! I have had more than my share of stuck tubes to deal with and really don't care to deal with any more. And if I can help someone from having this happen, its worth my time to do so. I own over 15 shotguns and not 1 has a flush mount tube in it just because of that reason. Plus, easier to change out than a flush mount. And good choice of choke tube lube. I also use anti-seize from parts houses. Works the same and easier to find. I have a tube in all my shooting bags, boat and truck.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:12 PM
Spike

The Browning BPS is one of my favorite shotguns. You have to love the slick smooth action as well as the strength of the receiver. I also like the bottom ejection and the fit and finish is one of the best in the business.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gray
The Browning BPS is one of my favorite shotguns. You have to love the slick smooth action as well as the strength of the receiver. I also like the bottom ejection and the fit and finish is one of the best in the business.
It seems just about any company does well quality-wise when it moves production to Japan. But it also makes them much more expensive. The new Winchester 94s are absurdly pricey, but may well be the best iteration of that rifle ever (undoubtedly I'll step on the toes of the pre-64 Win Cult by saying this).