Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

P 64

Old 11-03-2016, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default P 64

Does anyone have experience with one of these? I was looking for a pocket size gun and this seemed to be a good option. It is in 9X18 Makarov caliber, plenty of power for a gun of that size. I am also into military firearms so this seemed to be ideal. Also, they are not very expensive and are reported to be reliable. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice firearm and caliber. While I don't own a P64 Radom, I own 5 different pistols in 9 X 18 Makarov and find it to be a very good round. I believe Classic Firearms has them in stock right now for $229.00, plus shipping and FFL fees if necessary. You can ask for hand select for another $20.00. It is Curio And Relic eligible so if you have a C&R license you are all set.

It would serve you well as a pocket pistol. And Hornady makes critical defense rounds for it. It has a little more poke than a .380 and a good deal less umph than a standard 9mm.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I looked into them at one time.

The consensus is that it is a very well-made gun and excellent quality.

They have a heavy trigger pull, but this can be cured easily with a spring kit. I believe Wolff marketed them.

You might also do a little research into the handshock. My memory is a little sketchy, but I seem to recall reports that handshock could be a bit sharp, but can be cured with the spring kit. You'll want to verify this with your own research, though, as I'm not certain.

Last edited by Father Forkhorn; 11-03-2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info guys. I have ordered one of them and will look into a spring kit, may also change the grips into something a little more forgiving. I won't be shooting it a lot, just to get familiar with it and some along to stay that way. I wanted it for occasional pocket carry and I thought I had better get one before the election.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Jenks
Thanks for the info guys. I have ordered one of them and will look into a spring kit... I wanted it for occasional pocket carry and I thought I had better get one before the election.

You've made a good choice. By all accounts, they are good guns.

They should continue to go up in value for awhile as they are still showing up with importers of milsurps. That will slowly dry up.

An added plus is that you can look James Bond when shooting it. The resemblance to the PPK is remarkable. They may even be related in the gun family.

Last edited by Father Forkhorn; 11-10-2016 at 05:43 AM.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

The gun came in, it appears to have had very little use. I will replace the recoil spring(with a heavier one) and the hammer spring(with a lighter one) and maybe the grips later on. Seems to be a great little pocket gun for less then $300.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I replaced the recoil spring with an 20 lb.(easy) and the hammer spring with an 18 lb.(not so easy). This vastly improved the double-action trigger pull, both springs from Wolff. I will put on a Hogue Handall grip sleeve. I am really impressed with the gun, it seems to be a poor man's PPK. Have not fired it yet, but will soon.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

When you look into grips, check out this guy from Budapest
Hungary, I bought a set for my FEG PK knockoff named a SMC-918. It also fires the Makarov round but is not as nice a gun as your P-64. Yours being all steel construction.

His grips are very nice and my pair had beautiful crisp checking.

His site is worth a look when you get serious about buying grips.

http://www.marschalgrips.com/
Old 11-20-2016, 02:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

8MM, this guy has some beautiful grips. I could not find how much they cost, I suspect that they are not cheap. I put a Hogue Handall grip sleeve over my stock grips. I read that the recoil on this little gun is "snappy" so I have a little more to hang on to. Thanks for the grip info, maybe later after I get used to the gun.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have you got a chance to shoot it yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.