Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Brand new Rock Island Armory 1911 (#51431 on their website) >

Brand new Rock Island Armory 1911 (#51431 on their website)

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Brand new Rock Island Armory 1911 (#51431 on their website)

Old 09-17-2016, 12:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Brand new Rock Island Armory 1911 (#51431 on their website)

Just about a week ago, I became the proud owner of a Rock Island Armory 1911 .45ACP!!

How new you ask? I'm talking so new, that it came straight from the factory itself complete with an empty .45 shell casing and FMJ bullet retrieved from their test site (I was told by a LEO and FFL dealer to never lose it - as it has microscopic ballistic imprints to my 1911).

Anyway, my RIA 1911 came wrapped in a plastic bag coated in gun oil. Ick... what a mess... I'm talking the freakin' gun oil was everywhere! I had to spend time stripping down the 1911, cleaning it all up, wiping it all off, using Q-tips to get into tight areas, etc... and then finally, check it all over for fit and finish, gently lube it again and reassemble. I was told that when firearms come like that straight from the factory, it's for protection as they don't know how long they will sit before a final sale.

I bought it from Bud's Gun Shop in Kentucky for an incredible price, and had it shipped to a very good (and cheap!) FFL dealer here in town. Once I went to the FFL dealer, it was there that I filled out the miles of paperwork, VA state police forms, and the FBI background check. The FFL dealer himself is a retired LEO and has the computer system stuff setup in his den in his house.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php

Here's the direct link to my Rock Island Armory 1911...
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...8+1+45ACP+5%22

So... Without further ado, here she is right out of the box, just reassembled after cleaning her all off (you'll still notice a few traces of residual gun oil).

Lastly, here she is with the rubber grips installed (I didn't care for the plain wood grips, as the 1911 felt like it would slide all around in my hand).

I took her out to the range a few days ago, but only put about 25 rounds due to the indoor range being packed to capacity and you figure, I haven't shot a real 1911 since USCG bootcamp in 1979 --- 37 years ago!!!

But, she handled the common American Eagle 230gr FMJ rounds with ease and performed beautifully. What a heck of a handgun for the price. The best part is the ambi thumb safety (I'm a lefty) and the main reason why I bought it. There's just something about classic 1911 .45 ACP's....
Old 09-17-2016, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the 1911. I am a lover of John Brownings work myself.
Like you I think the grips dress it up and will feel better.
Good shooting.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks...

The only thing that is a little weird (with me being lefty) - - I am having a heck of a time trying to find a nice OWB leather holster in a lefty model. It's discrimination I tell you, blatant discrimination!! LOL...

Thankfully, I have a good friend of mine (and fellow Masonic Brother in the lodge) who does leather work as a hobby. I found an online template for DIY leather pancake holsters for a 1911, and had to go into Photoshop and flip it around, inverted/mirrored, and then print out the assorted pieces of the template on cardstock paper in my printer for my buddy to trace and/or perhaps come up with his own ideas for a lefty holster.

http://www.jlsleather.com/sdm_downlo...e-owb-holster/

Last edited by ButchA; 09-18-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here's kind of a rough idea of what I was getting at with that 1911 holster template, flipped around and printed lefty....

I colored it in using Photoshop, and also added a few small images that would represent an embossing stamp pressed into the leather.

Masonic emblem - well, yeah... I am a Mason and a Past Master of the Masonic Lodge. I'm also a 32° Scottish Rite Mason too (The Shriners have been after me to join them as well...)

USCG Shield - I am retired Coast Guard, so I want that on it too.

American flag - Um, yeah... An American flag just seems to go with the 1911, you know? So, why not add it to the holster?
Old 09-18-2016, 03:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by ButchA
Thanks...

The only thing that is a little weird (with me being lefty) - - I am having a heck of a time trying to find a nice OWB leather holster in a lefty model. It's discrimination I tell you, blatant discrimination!! LOL...

Thankfully, I have a good friend of mine (and fellow Masonic Brother in the lodge) who does leather work as a hobby. I found an online template for DIY leather pancake holsters for a 1911, and had to go into Photoshop and flip it around, inverted/mirrored, and then print out the assorted pieces of the template on cardstock paper in my printer for my buddy to trace and/or perhaps come up with his own ideas for a lefty holster.

http://www.jlsleather.com/sdm_downlo...e-owb-holster/
Take a look at Fobus holsters. I'm a lefty too and that's what I have for my 1911 and my S&W M&P40. Another good place to buy good holsters at a very reasonable price is "The Holster Store" in St. Cloud, FL. Any holster they make they can make in a LH version. They use good quality leather and do nice work.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Take a look at Fobus holsters. I'm a lefty too and that's what I have for my 1911 and my S&W M&P40. Another good place to buy good holsters at a very reasonable price is "The Holster Store" in St. Cloud, FL. Any holster they make they can make in a LH version. They use good quality leather and do nice work.
Thanks!!! I have seen Fobus holsters many times (my brother-in-law has one with his CZ-75 9mm). They're really nice, but I want something in leather and a little more traditional. I guess I am looking for a classic holster for a classic handgun...
Old 09-18-2016, 04:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Very nice website... www.theholsterstore.net

I like the one called Pro Carry On Duty, for a full size 5" barrel 1911, complete with thumb break. Only $59.95 too!

Nice!

Last edited by ButchA; 04-25-2022 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

I am a Traveling Man myself. Not as many now as used to be it seems.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridgerunner56
I am a Traveling Man myself. Not as many now as used to be it seems.
I know what you mean, Brother!

I listen to the "older crowd" in my lodge talk about things 30-40 years ago... They'd go on about having 400 members total, and the lodge room was always packed. Nowadays in 2016, we have a total of 182 members and only 25 people show up for the lodge meeting.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice looking hand held lead launcher there!!! I bought a RIA Tact ll when it came out in 10mm and love it!!!! It came with the laminated grey grips and looks almost identical to my Remmy R1 Enhanced from across the table. Its a bit more to hold then the 45 ACP, but the hogs REALLY don't like it!!! And yes, god bless John Browning and his great work for us to enjoy today!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.