Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Rifle for my wife

Old 02-02-2016, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let her handle a Browning Micro Mediallion or a Ruger American youth model. The Ruger comes with 2 different lengths of stock insert. Bet she'll fall in love with 1 of them!
Old 02-03-2016, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

While stock fit is critical on how the rifle "FITS" as so many have pointed out, one should also consider the action type along with length/weight of barrel. Think about the cantilever issue.

My youngest daughter just loves hunting with my TCR'83 in 243 just because it is so short and easy to maneuver, even though it still has a 25 inch barrel.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just to update and thank everyone for the feedback and info!

We spent much of last weekend "playing" with guns! She had fun! We went to Harrisburg PA to the outdoor show and she handled:

- Remington (what's with Remington bringing 40 guns to a show to handle and NOT A SINGLE MODEL 7?)
- Savage
- Ruger
- Mossberg
- Browning
- TC
- Winchester
- Tika

She had fun! Once we got the dealer reps to stop talking to me and talk to her, sheesh.

The winner is: Thompson Center Venture in Weathershield, 7mm-08

I was a bit surprised because she liked this one better than the Venture compact which was an inch shorter. She said she couldn't explain it, it just felt "natural to aim it". I told her "that's what you're looking for!"

Unfortunately they can't actually sell guns at the show, so we have to go to a dealer and order it locally.

Also booked a hunt for October for her to actually use it on! Should be christened on a nice Wyoming mule deer and antelope!
Old 02-11-2016, 06:41 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bob H in NH
My wife wants a rifle. What I am curious about is are there rifles that are better fits for woman? My wife is 5'7". We have bowhunted together for years and she turkey hunts with a Remington 870 express.

I have a Remington 700 in .30-06 which seems a bit long for her.

With archery I know what to do, with rifles I don't. Are there "woman sized" rifles?

She will be hunting everything from whitetails here in NH, to western game from antelope up to elk with this gun over the next years.
458 win. if she handles that she's a keeper.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:01 PM
Spike

Browning micromedalian 7mm08
Old 02-14-2016, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Congrats to your wife on her gun choice.
I have two 7mm08's a Remington 700 Mountain rifle set up for long rang deer hunting across cranberry bogs and bean fields plus a Remington Model 7 set up for thick Michigan cedar swamp deer hunting.

I have heard a lot of good things about the T/C center fire line of rifles. I have no complaints with my T/C muzzle loaders

Al
Old 02-14-2016, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Congrats on a good game plan to pick a rifle for your wife and the upcoming hunt! Sounds like it worked out just fine.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:37 AM
Super Moderator

New rifle, and a hunt to use it on. Jealous.
-Jake
Old 02-15-2016, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
New rifle, and a hunt to use it on. Jealous.
-Jake
Thanks! It's all a benefit of being out the "old married couple" end of raising kids and having them out of college, all that money that went to tuitions for the last 6 years now comes to us for toys!
Old 02-15-2016, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

I've got 18 year before college tuition is due for my daughter and I'm already putting my "gun" money towards it..... Kind of a depressing thought actually..... lol
-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.