HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Weatherby Mark V Accumark (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/399929-weatherby-mark-v-accumark.html)

fritz1 06-25-2015 08:47 AM

Weatherby Mark V Accumark

I always wanted a Weatherby, well last weekend I finally pulled the trigger and bought a Weatherby Mark V Accumark chambered in the 7mm STW. I have been looking at this gun for over 2 years at my buddies shop. I ended up getting it for $1054 out the door with a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18 scope. The scope has to go, I hate Nikons, think I will replace it with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24 or save a little more for a Nightforce. Anyone have experience with these rifles? The serial #'s are SBxxxxxx, can anyone tell me when it was made? Now the search for brass begins, I found the dies.

redgreen 06-25-2015 09:07 AM

I have had 3 accumarks, and they were all accurate. I like my wood better, and got another lasermark.

fritz1 06-25-2015 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by redgreen (Post 4203608)
I have had 3 accumarks, and they were all accurate. I like my wood better, and got another lasermark.

Nice! This is my first Weatherby. I cant wait to get some ammo loaded and hit the range. I almost bought my bosses Remington 700 Sendero in 7mm STW, but I owned a Sendero in a 300RUM before, I liked it but I wanted to try something different. Actually I never knew Weatherby chambered the STW in any of there guns till I seen this one.

Topgun 3006 06-25-2015 09:37 AM

That STW will reach out there if that's why you bought it! According to a website I found on them the SB serial numbers were dedicated to the 9 lug Mark 5s from when they were introduced in 1995 to when they were discontinued in 2002, but that's the best I can do with no year breakdown anywhere I can find for you.

fritz1 06-25-2015 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006 (Post 4203617)
That STW will reach out there if that's why you bought it! According to a website I found on them the SB serial numbers were dedicated to the 9 lug Mark 5s from when they were introduced in 1995 to when they were discontinued in 2002, but that's the best I can do with no year breakdown anywhere I can find for you.

Thanks Topgun!! Yeah I hunt so pretty big clear cuts for elk, I figured this would do the job for me. I love the 7mm caliber and have always been intrigued with the STW round.

Topgun 3006 06-25-2015 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by fritz1 (Post 4203622)
Thanks Topgun!! Yeah I hunt so pretty big clear cuts for elk, I figured this would do the job for me. I love the 7mm caliber and have always been intrigued with the STW round.

I have a friend down in Texas that bought one in the Remington Sendero Model and he quit using it because of the recoil he couldn't tolerate. I was surprised because Hayden was a big guy that rode bulls in the big rodeos back when Larry Mahan was the star of rodeos. He shot a yote one day with it that was way out there and it almost cut that yote in half!

Ridge Runner 06-25-2015 02:23 PM

fritz, 300 H&H Winchester brass is what layne simpson always recommended for the STW, in that cartridge H-1000 is your friend. had my STW since 96, its sent a pile of whitetails and a few bear to the promised land. lazer flat trajectory, kicks like a 30'06, there is no better med. game rifle made.
RR

fritz1 06-25-2015 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 4203675)
fritz, 300 H&H Winchester brass is what layne simpson always recommended for the STW, in that cartridge H-1000 is your friend. had my STW since 96, its sent a pile of whitetails and a few bear to the promised land. lazer flat trajectory, kicks like a 30'06, there is no better med. game rifle made.
RR

Thanks RR, I knew you were the guy to ask about it. Do you just run the 300 H&H brass thru the STW die? Do you have to load a light charge to fire form the brass?

Ridge Runner 06-25-2015 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by fritz1 (Post 4203676)
Thanks RR, I knew you were the guy to ask about it. Do you just run the 300 H&H brass thru the STW die? Do you have to load a light charge to fire form the brass?

while I don't think it would hurt I run a just under max load on the first fireing, the max load for a 140 is 85.5 gr of H-1000, I'd run 84-85 gr. you'll still more than outrun a 7 mag, then after those rounds are fireformed I'd find a max for your rifle, I can run 86 gr of H-1000 behind a 140 ballistic tip, speeds are off the charts but brass life is short.
Neck the brass to a crush fit in your chamber, anneal after the first fireing. though it has an impressive trajectory, whats more amazing is the games reaction to a solid hit, they just melt, like a wet dishrag.
only folks who have witnessed that kind of energy transfer can believe this, but as time goes on you will have no complaints.
RR

fritz1 06-25-2015 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 4203678)
while I don't think it would hurt I run a just under max load on the first fireing, the max load for a 140 is 85.5 gr of H-1000, I'd run 84-85 gr. you'll still more than outrun a 7 mag, then after those rounds are fireformed I'd find a max for your rifle, I can run 86 gr of H-1000 behind a 140 ballistic tip, speeds are off the charts but brass life is short.
Neck the brass to a crush fit in your chamber, anneal after the first fireing. though it has an impressive trajectory, whats more amazing is the games reaction to a solid hit, they just melt, like a wet dishrag.
only folks who have witnessed that kind of energy transfer can believe this, but as time goes on you will have no complaints.
RR

Thanks bud! I cant wait to get this thing set up and slinging some lead.