Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Weatherby Mark V Accumark >

Weatherby Mark V Accumark

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Weatherby Mark V Accumark

Old 06-27-2015, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

even at a grand 16X is plenty
RR
Old 06-27-2015, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
large guys cannot take recoil well from my experience, they have to absorb it all, small framed guys roll with the flow.
RR
I've had to elaborate on this many-a-time in different rifle instruction courses, or hunter's safety live fire sessions. Big guys have a lot of inertia, whereas their lil' wives that come along get shoved around by their rifles/shotguns. I love heavy recoiling rifles, but even for my wife and I - 6" shorter and 75lbs lighter, she'll be smiling and making smoke at the range long after I've packed up my big bores for the day.

Handguns tend to be the equalizer though. Big guys have the durability in their hands, strength in their wrists, and the inertia in their arms to soak up punishing revolvers. Smaller shooters + big bore handguns = muzzle climb, that's just a fact of life.

Those 7mm super-mags are a bit different too. Recoil Energy numbers don't always tell the whole story, even with a well fit rifle - when my 500grn pills leave the tube at 2200fps, they feel very different than a 180grn 7mm pill leaving at 3000fps (fastest I've pushed a 7RUM). That short recoil impulse makes a lot less feel like a lot more.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

yep, if large framed shooters "roll with the flow" as they say, they are still absorbing enough recoil to leave bruises, if they roll faster than the flow its called flinching.
RR
Old 06-27-2015, 04:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

if they roll faster than the flow its called flinching.
RR

I played contact sports; even as kids we enjoyed pull'in both triggers on my uncle's 12 gauge SXS.

...........Grew up shooting slugs and 36" bolt action goose guns.

I think it is largely about good shooting form.

BTW - I'm 5'6" & 150lbs. - just love it !!!
Old 06-28-2015, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
I've had to elaborate on this many-a-time in different rifle instruction courses, or hunter's safety live fire sessions. Big guys have a lot of inertia, whereas their lil' wives that come along get shoved around by their rifles/shotguns. I love heavy recoiling rifles, but even for my wife and I - 6" shorter and 75lbs lighter, she'll be smiling and making smoke at the range long after I've packed up my big bores for the day.

Handguns tend to be the equalizer though. Big guys have the durability in their hands, strength in their wrists, and the inertia in their arms to soak up punishing revolvers. Smaller shooters + big bore handguns = muzzle climb, that's just a fact of life.

Those 7mm super-mags are a bit different too. Recoil Energy numbers don't always tell the whole story, even with a well fit rifle - when my 500grn pills leave the tube at 2200fps, they feel very different than a 180grn 7mm pill leaving at 3000fps (fastest I've pushed a 7RUM). That short recoil impulse makes a lot less feel like a lot more.
yep, if large framed shooters "roll with the flow" as they say, they are still absorbing enough recoil to leave bruises, if they roll faster than the flow its called flinching.
RR
Okay I see where you are both going with that and I see what you mean. Oh and Mercy, it's not inertia, it's mass. Us big fella's have a greater mass that is working AGAINST the inertia created from the recoil. In other words, it takes so much more to get our big butts moving that we have naturally absorbed more punishment than smaller framed folks inside of the recoil pulse. (Shhhh don't tell noone I'm a little smart) And RR, you aint joking about the bruises. When I was younger I didn't hardly bruise from anything. Nowadays you look at me hard and a bruise will form! My whole right side is still one big bruise from that fall a few weeks ago!
Old 06-29-2015, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think this is the scope I am going with.
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...eticle/reticle

Or this one.
http://nightforceoptics.com/shv/4-14x56

Last edited by fritz1; 06-29-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I only hear good things about Vortex and you gotta love the "no questions asked" warranty !

However, if I had the money I would buy Nightforce every time !!!
Old 06-29-2015, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love my Vortex scopes, but I might go with a Nightforce, depending on my financial situation when I get ready for it. At this point in time, it looks like the Vortex but I am not scopeing it yet, maybe I will have more money to spare at a latter date.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here it is. I am pretty happy with it. I havnt got my brass yet, they are on the way here, so I box a box of Nosler 160gr Accubond factory loads to try in it. It will shoot, I shot two 3 shot groups with it at 100 yards, one was a 1", the other was a shade under a 1", with facvtory ammo. I cant wait to load some of my own to see how it will really shoot.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

This thing dwarfs my 338 win mag!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.