Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Best Conceled Carry

Old 05-18-2015, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default Best Conceled Carry

I am in the market for a good conceal carry pistol. Prefer a semi-automatic and when I google for reviews it seems I get a different list every time so I figured I would ask on here for your opinions. Thank you in advance...
Old 05-18-2015, 04:18 PM
Spike

One of the first questions you have to answer is what do you shoot well? You will find that a large frame is better for you. You can conceal anything with the right holster. Be aware that small cute guns are easy to conceal but are difficult to be accurate with.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Carry weapon choice is highly subjective. You've chosen - so far - a semiautomatic pistol. But there are lots of sub-categories within that group that will suit different shooters.

Do you want a sub-compact pocket pistol in 380auto, or a more powerful, larger cartridge in a larger pistol?

Do you want a single action trigger with a manual safety, or a DAO trigger?

To help answer some of those questions, do you want to pocket carry, IWB, or OWB? What's your body type compared to your wardrobe? How often are you ok with leaving your piece behind?

For my purposes, I carry a Ruger LCP daily. The Gen 2 is fantastic, and very affordable, so if you happen to get it taken by an over-zealous LEO and it disappears in an evidence locker, you're not out much cost. I have a Gen 1, a Gen 1 with a Galloway conversion, a couple Gen 2's, and a Pro. Hate the sights on the pro, but I get what they were trying to do, and it's really nothing more than a Galloway trigger. The Gen 2 standard trigger is 90% as good as the galloway trigger, I wouldn't buy another galloway for that reason.

I carry the LCP because I can carry it every day, no matter what I'm wearing. Even if I'm carrying another larger, more powerful pistol, I often still carry my LCP. It's cheap, reliable, and plenty accurate. I won't enter a debate about the killing power of the 380auto - I'm very confident in its ability to do the job at self defense ranges, should I need it. I carry over a dozen different weapons over the course of a year, but my common carry piece is the LCP.

Other CC pieces that I would recommend:

Pocket 380's:

Ruger LCP - DAO, cheap, tiny, light
Sig Sauer P238 - SA w/ Manual safety, great trigger, heavier, night sights, tiny
S&W Bodyguard - DAO, tiny, light enough, safety, prefer the LCP though
Glock 42 - Love this pistol, but very expensive for what it is. Glock trigger (heavy SA).
Kel-Tec P3AT - Cheaper, less refined LCP

"Little too big for pocket" larger pistols:

Sig Sauer P938 9mm - SA w/ Manual Safety, great trigger, heavy, night sights
Ruger LC9 & LC9s - DAO, light, small, FLAT, the LC9s has a better trigger than the LC9, I have both, I still carry my LC9 a lot.

Compact pistols:

Springfield EMP 9mm & 40S&W: SA w/Manual safety, heavy, 1911 style, great triggers, naturally
Ruger SR40c: budget friendly, 'glock-style' trigger, nice that there's no bluing to wear
Glock 19 9mm & 36 45acp: heavy SA triggers, bluing wear is a consideration
Springfield Micro Compact 45acp (or any Officer model 1911): single action w/manual safety, heavier, less capacity, flat profile
Bersa Thunder/Walther PPK: 380auto, larger, more capacity, heavier, very mild recoil, can be had DA/SA or DAO, decocker safety

Don't overlook revolvers though. Ruger SP101 and S&W 60's, Ruger LCR's and S&W 640, S&W Bodyguard 38, all of these make great concealable wheel guns, with plenty of punch on the business end. The all steel models are better behaved than the alloy and poly models.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 05-18-2015 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Since you don't have an idea what you want, you should go to gun shops and handle various handguns. That will help you know which ones feel best in your hand and point the most naturally for you. If you have freinds with carry guns, ask if they will let you shoot them to see what you can handle. I suggest you carry the largest caliber you can shoot well. Also learn how to shoot a handgun before you carry it if you already are not proficient. The problem with asking what the best concealed carry weapon is, is because there is no best gun for everyone< prefer a .45 ACP but mosty carry a Kahr MK.40 S&W. I have been shooting hand guns for over 40 years and still qualify every year so I am able to swith back and forth with no problems. A novice should stick to a handgun untill they have a good bit of experience if they are carrying for protection which is a far cry from carrying to hunt. Do not be in a rush is the best advice I can give you.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

You've been given a lot of good advice so far and should read it twice and consider it carefully--it's that good. I agree completely with what was posted above.

A few other things to consider are your past experience and proficiency level(s). You said you prefer a semi-auto. That sounds like you have some experience. Are you used to a certain type of semi-auto. Some have safeties and some don't. Some have magazine safeties (S&W comes to mind) and others don't. Some fire the first round double action and all successive rounds single action. Others fire double action only and some fire with a hybrid type action (Glock's safe action comes to mind).

The reason for bringing this up is for you to consider what (if any) muscle memory you have built up in your experience. This doesn't mean you can't train a new muscle memory but doing so might require a lot of training to make that new muscle memory instinctive. This won't make a big difference on the shooting range other than a little fumbling and embarrassment when people ask if you know your own pistol. It can make a HUGE difference, however, if you have to use that same pistol in a stressful self defense situation where your instinctive muscle memory isn't the same as the type of semi-auto you're carrying.

I you're willing and have the time and money to develop a new muscle memory, it's not a big deal. If you're not, you should strongly consider using a type of semi-auto pistol you're already familiar with.

NoMercy brought up another thing to consider. Different types of occasions sometimes call for a different type of concealed carry. As an example, when I need to carry a pistol in my slacks pocket, I carry a Walther PPKs in 380. If I'm carrying in a fanny pack or a belt holster concealed by a shirt hanging out or a jacket, I carry a Glock 45. If you're concerned about trying to get some kind of major handgun caliber, have good concealability and something you're comfortable shooting, you might consider a single stack 9mm. Today's 9mm ammo is much better than the older stuff and a single stack pistol is fairly easy to conceal.

Hopefully this helps some. Let us know what you decide and how it works out for you.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

My favorite for regular hot weather carry is the Sig 232. With today's ammo choices, it's a viable choice to consider.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a pretty big guy so I can carry a fairly larger pistol and get away with it a little better. But my usual CG is the Sig P227 elite in .45. Not an overly large pistol and they have designed the mag to hold 10 so you have 10+1 yet the grip is quite a bit slimmer than my Old 1911 Army Colt. It carries well and comes to aim beautifully. But like most everyone else has said, you do not just NEED but you HAVE to feel, shoot, and conceal as many as you can to find what will be best for you. My personal opinion is the bigger the bullet the more to stop a bad guy with. As in hunting, shot placement is key, but in a self defense situation, you may not be able to get the perfect shot. Unlike hunting, a gut shot is perfectly acceptable since you are not going to be trying to "blood trail" the "game". You are only trying to stop an offender from hurting you or a loved one. While a .380 is, to me anyway, perfectly acceptable, it's hard to argue with a .45 hollowpoint slamming home being a better "stopper". I know for a fact it would certainly change MY mind about the situation.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

My favorite for regular hot weather carry is the Sig 232
How does the Sig perform for you? I just got a Kimber Solo and I am rapidly regretting it: too many FTF/FTEs not to mention a 6 round magazine that is so stiff 5 rounds is the most I have been able to get into it.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Kimber is a good gun. If you are having trouble fully loading the magazines, go buy a mag loader, they are cheap, and use it untill the spring losens up a bit. You would rather have a strong spring in the mag, than a weak one that eventually may not push up the next round far enough. Springs never get stronger, only weaker.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 05-22-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:03 AM
Spike

Most people I see taking handgun class carry a 9mm. But it's purely what you feel comfortable with. Go to gun shop and hold different ones to see how they feel in your hand. Pay particular attention to the grip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.