Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Ruger Bearcat

Old 07-26-2015, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a bigger fan of "fixies" than adjustable sight singe action revolvers, but the new adjustable sight Bearcat definitely fills a wanted niche for 22lr revolvers.

Comparatively, the Single Six, a big step in size larger than the Bearcat, is over sized for a 22lr. Ruger's tried to remedy that of late by releasing the new Single 9 22WMR and Single 10 22lr - FINALLY! Not to mention, the Single 7 327FM, which really maximizes the potential of the Single 6 frame size. If the Single 6 frame had a defining cartridge for its size, I'd say that the 327FM best fits its size (JUST too small for a 38spcl, although it has been done on 5 shot conversions), whereas the Bearcat is decidedly a 22lr sized wheelgun.

The Bearcat also tends to stand out as unique among the Ruger Single Action fleet. The other 4 models - the Single 6, Vaquero, Blackhawk, and Super Blackhawk - all share a decidedly similar design, even sharing many common parts. The Bearcat, on the other hand, while still a simple transfer-bar single action design, it's considerably different both internally and externally than the other 4.

As a Ruger Single Action Revolver fan, I'm quite temped to get a Blackhawk and an Adjustable Sight Bearcat to round out a 4 piece matching set of a Super Blackhawk, Blackhawk, Single Six, and Bearcat. If only I could get myself away from fixed sight revolvers!

Last edited by Nomercy448; 07-26-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm exactly the opposite, I HAVE to have adjustable sites on my handguns except for those hard to do so. Of course once I adjust the sites to hit exactly where I want, they might as well be fixed from that point on. I even go so far to loc-tite them after seeing exactly where they need to be to hit dead on point of aim. Of course you CAN adjust most fixed sites, you just have to go to more trouble to do so. I've adjusted dozens of single actions having fixed sites to impact exactly where the customer wanted. All you have to do to adjust left or right is put the barrel securely in a barrel vise (after removing the ejector rod & housing of course) and use an action wrench to turn the barrel very slightly to the left or right (opposite way from the way you want the bullet to go for front sites, same way for rear). And I find it easier to build up the front site blade or file it down than fool with the rear site groove in receiver.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stalkingbear
I find it easier to build up the front site blade or file it down than fool with the rear site groove in receiver.
I tend to 'manipulate' the front sight as well. It's a lot easier to knock out a front sight and put in a new one than it is to add metal back to the receiver, and at a LOT lower risk. I don't run the "barrel crush" method most of the time for windage regulation, simply because I've had two revolvers come across my bench where owners have tried it themselves and cracked their cylinder frames! Not that much work to pull off the barrel and trim a little to keep the pressure the same.

There's just something sexy about fixed sight revolvers for me. On large frame hunting revolvers like the SBH, 629, SRH, etc, they're obviously necessary, as they are on competition revolvers, but for carry guns, or belt guns, I just prefer the slick receiver look of fixies.

I'm purty tempted, however, to keep my older SS Bearcat the way it sits, and buy a Shopkeeper round butt model to have Harton do his conversion on. I've handled a couple, but haven't brought myself to jump yet. Sure wish the Bearcat had replaceable grip frames!
Old 07-27-2015, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448

As a Ruger Single Action Revolver fan, I'm quite temped to get a Blackhawk and an Adjustable Sight Bearcat to round out a 4 piece matching set of a Super Blackhawk, Blackhawk, Single Six, and Bearcat. If only I could get myself away from fixed sight revolvers!
You want to add a Vaquero 45 LC to that wish list! Love mine. As I've said before, the only Rugers I've ever had more than a month or 2 has been their revolvers and my #1's. The Vaquero is probably one of the most well balanced SAR's I've had in my hands. With exception to an old Colt SAA 1'rst gen 38-40. That sucker was like an extension of my arm.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Originally Posted by Nomercy448
You want to add a Vaquero 45 LC to that wish list!
Actually, I don't "want" to add one to that list - I already have 45colt in the original Vaquero as well as the New Vaquero.

Ya missed that part that I bolded above, amigo! Ruger Vaqueros, both new and old, I got!!! Most of mine are 44mag original Vaqueros, but I've had originals in 357, 44mag, 44-40, and 45colt, and New Vaq's in 45colt and 45acp.

What I DON'T have is a matching 4 size set of adjustable sight models; the Bearcat, Single Six, Blackhawk, and Super Blackhawk. I suppose, in reality, I need the Blackhawk to be a Flattop model, so that it's on the mid-frame instead of the large frame of the standard Blackhawk; same size as the Super Blackhawk. Then I'd have a matching set of mini-frame, small frame, mid-frame, and large frame adjustable sight Rugers...

I already have a fixed sight set of a mini, small, mid, and large frame fixed sight set of a Bearcat, Single Six, New Vaq, and original Vaq, respectively.

If I can get a chance to sneak away from work this summer yet to finish the job, you'll soon see a thread in the gunsmithing projects sub-forum about my most recent 45colt/acp New Vaquero.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have one of the very early Super Bearcats. It's NIB and has never been fired that I know of. I got it at a gun show back in the late 70's.
About a year and a half ago I picked up the Lipsey's Ruger Bearcat Shopkeeper.
I ordered it on line. When I got it I had a hard time believing Ruger would ship this gun as poorly as the fit and finish was. The grips fitted to the grip frame looked like a blind man had fitted them.
I went right to Mike Fifer. The following day I was contacted by a Ruger rep. They wanted it back wanting to make it right.
When I got it back it was a little better but far from being acceptable. I contacted Mike Fifer for a 2nd time. They wanted it back again.

On the 2nd trip back to Ruger I asked for a new gun. I bought a new gun and I expect a new gun made correctly.
They agreed to my request. The replacement gun was much better. Not perfect but I can live with it.

I originally bought this gun to be put away(safe queen) until I read other issues with defective cylinder on several of the Shopkeepers. I decided to fire mine and it functions as designed.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have an Old model Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt with fixed sights for fun and a Black hawk with a Bisley grip, a limited edition gun, with adjustable sights for hunting. That Vaquero is right on the money with fixed sights.

The Black hawk in .45 Colt and my cross draw hunting rig

Cylinder engraving, since I was too dumb to have the gun on its other side where you can read the engraving, it has Ruger, 1896, revolver Bisley Model, scroll work and a man firing a handgun. The Bisley grip was intended for target shooting when Colt brought it out.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 08-20-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Vac's are more than likely my favorite wheel guns that I own. Like I said, dang near perfectly balanced. They just feel "right". My .44mag hawks are next followed up by my .500 S&W's. The 8+ inch barreled S&W is pretty nice to shoot but the 4 inch is like holding on to a screaming kicking angry child in your hands.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
The Bisley grip was intended for target shooting when Colt brought it out.
The Ruger Bisley grip, however, is patterned largely off of the "Keith No.5" grip frame, which was a heavily modified Colt Bisley STYLED grip. Both have a more "straight up" grip angle, but the Ruger bisley grip design is considerably larger and thicker, without as much hump or roll on the backstrap. The Colt Bisley had a much more pronounced flare at the butt, with a distinct "toe" and "heel" at the butt, and a marked gooseneck that drew the grip considerably up above the trigger guard.

Colt Bisley Target

Elmer upsized and modified the grip of the Bisley to give himself better purchase on heavy recoiling revolvers. This extra grip on the No.5 grip does tend to lend a bit extra accuracy for some shooters, but the original Bisley has an incredibly different feel and balance in hand. There's been a lot of argument among "traditionalists" over the years whether the Ruger Bisley should be called "Bisley" or not, since it's not really a "bisley," but I'd assume that there was a marketing discussion that "No.5" will sound a lot more like a train locomotive or a Whiskey, and we can make more money copying Colt's names"...

Elmer Keith No. 5 revolver:

So while it might be patterned loosely off of the Colt design, the Ruger Bisley would much more appropriately be named a "No.5" than a "Bisley." It's a lot to hang onto, for sure, I don't personally shoot any better with it.