HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   marlin x7 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/390534-marlin-x7.html)

jdhogg 03-23-2014 07:59 PM

marlin x7

ive been looking for a 243,ive read some of the reviews and i like em better than the axis.anyone have any experience with the marlin.
thank you

streetglideok 03-24-2014 06:33 PM

We have a very early production XL7 in a nice wood stock. Nice and light, only problem with the rifle we are having is the junk simmons scope that I threw on it. Haven't gotten around to getting a good scope for it yet. Vast majority are synthetic stocks I think.

Sheridan 03-24-2014 06:48 PM

JD,
I've only hear good things about them, especially for the money !

It's a Marlin.....................

Nomercy448 03-25-2014 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Sheridan (Post 4130759)
It's a Marlin.....................

Is it really? ;) Joking aside, I actually think the X7's were one of the only Marlin models that didn't take a bath during the Remington transfer to NY.

I've been reticent about the "Marlin" X's since they were introduced AFTER the Remington acquisition. I wasn't really sure at the time whether it was a Remington design that had been badged as a Marlin, or really a Marlin design. And to be honest, I'm not sure which would give me less pause, a "first crack" bolt gun from a high standard gunmaker, or a "well we couldn't sell this design under our own name" model from a behemouth maker that had grown complacent. I suppose I'm mostly just butthurt due to what Remington did to the leverguns, at least temporarily (word on the street is that the newer work in NY is better).

The "Marlin" XL7's and the like have garnered a lot of reputation points, and for what it's worth, it seems to be deserved. It also seems that for the price point, it's one of the better finished rifles in it's class, at least from what I've seen and heard - again, not owning one. They shoot straight, and for the money, what more could you ask for? I'm not sure any cheap plastic stock is really better than any other, and the Savage clone action and trigger do what they were designed to do.

Considering the competition...

If upgrading/rebuilding were off the table, and considering the pricepoint it plays at...

With the song and dance between different models that Ruger has been doing in recent years (let's scrap the 77 MKII and make the Hawkeye, no wait, let's make the American...) and with the hit and miss quality control Remington has been going through with the SPS line (as well as their model variation fluctuations also), I'd be more prone to pick up a Marlin over a Ruger or Remington at that price point.

I'm none-too-interested in the Mossberg rifles. Nothing wrong with them, and I've shot a few that had not-so-surprisingly good accuracy (considering they're a Savage clone, like the Marlin), but if it's a popularity contest, my vote goes to Marlin's reputation over Mossberg. This assumes I have faith that Remington will get its $hit together and live up to the good Marlin name, of course.

I'm a big Savage fan, so I'd go that way myself, but the Marlin would be my second choice at that price point. Even Savage has had some turn-over in their budget rifle lines, dropping the Edge rather quickly for the Axis, and now refitting the Axis to take accutriggers, and adapting into the "Trophy Hunter" bridge models... For under $400, I'd probably rather have a Marlin WITH a pro-trigger than an Axis without an accutrigger.

The scope on the package models, I'd pass on. It'd get you going, but I'd look to replace it quickly. Which I'd say about ANY of the budget friendly "scope/rifle pacakges" out there from any brand.

jdhogg 04-02-2014 10:56 PM

im really a savage person but they quit making the stevens 200 and i dont care for the drop mags.im really considering the 7mm08 even more,i seem to need a lower recoil these days.my 06 isnt bad but i prefer something less.i have no idea what im gonna do when i get the 300 h&h done,hire a fat gurl to shoot it?

Big Uncle 04-03-2014 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Nomercy448 (Post 4130861)

I've been reticent about the "Marlin" X's since they were introduced AFTER the Remington acquisition.

Give yourself some credit, there apparently isn't any topic on which you have shown any sign of reticence! Reluctance perhaps, but never reticence!! ;)

(just pulling your chain)

Nomercy448 04-03-2014 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Big Uncle (Post 4132403)
Give yourself some credit, there apparently isn't any topic on which you have shown any sign of reticence! Reluctance perhaps, but never reticence!! ;)

(just pulling your chain)

Nah I'm never one to bite my tongue much! The bad part is that I come off blunt and overbearing most of the time, when I'm really not trying to be. I enjoy the debate, so if I cast, I expect to have as good or better cast back at me.

The Marlin X's were really one exception. When they were introduced, a lot of guys said "It's a Marlin", but like I said 'is it really?' or is it a Remington design sold with a Marlin label?

But I was pissed enough at Remlin for what they were doing to the leverguns that I gave them a pass on speaking my doubts about the X7's. Even if I wouldn't like to know that it's a Remington design stamped with a Marlin name, I'd still give them benefit of the doubt if it turned out to be a good model.

And good on Marlin/Remington, the X7's have earned their reputation, honoring the "old" Marlin name, regardless of who designed it. And good on Remington if they've cleaned their act up on the leverguns again, as I've been hearing they have. :party0005:

Jenks 04-04-2014 02:02 PM

One of the magazines, maybe "Outdoor Life" or "Field & Stream" did an accurcy article on the currently offered center fire rifles, including the X7. This was two or three years ago. The X7 was far more accurate then the others it was compared with. I read the article at a doctor's waiting room, so I don't have it. Last summer my son bought two stainless X7's, both with synthetic stocks. One is in .25-06, he has fired it and likes it. The other is in 30-06, I don't think he has a scope on it yet and has not fired it. He had bought the .25-06 for me. I did not see him for several days and by that time the gleam was in his eye, he was in love with it. I really did not need it and did not want to break up a romance so he can keep it. I still try for the 30-06 tho. No luck so far.

huffmanite 04-05-2014 04:37 PM

Own three of the Marlin X rifles, 25-06, 7mm-08 and a 308 heavy barrel. All shoot pretty decent when it comes to accuracy. Also own a couple of Stevens 200s and the Axis. Prefer the Marlin.

jdhogg 04-06-2014 08:28 AM

the reason im thinking marlin is you can use savage barrels on it,blind magazine (i hate drop mags)and like a savage you dont have to spend a fortune for accuracy work.also im thinking i was born on a budget.i think a 7mm08 wood be more useful,ive got a 22-250 that rocks and less recoil than my 06.