Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Most accurate rifle

Old 03-23-2014, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sauer14
This is the OP, I will not give up, I wish I could get groups like some here. What irks me was I had a gunsmith bed the stock, lap the barrel and do make sure the crown is correct on the Vanguard and I still can't get a decent 4-5 shot group. I can get decent 3 shot group one time and the next time out with the EXACT reloads it will not preform like it did the first time. It seems I always get a flyer after the 2nd or 3rd shot. I am shooting in MN in Feb/March and I let the barrel cool down between shots(doesn't take long in this weather) Going to try some new reloads next week and if that does not help rifle is going back to the smith.
One question;

Are you starting your "string" with a clean barrel ?
Old 03-24-2014, 04:17 AM
Typical Buck

"Flyers" hmmmm. This picture is a perfect example of a good group gone bad. Using a friends 6BR I shot this four shot group at 100 yards. I shot four times because the one off to the right was the first shot. That was all me. And most times I think most flyers are due to human error most times. I continued to shoot the rifle and the remaining three shots are in a group of .307 outside diameter that you have to subtract .244 out of the equation to get a group size of .063. Man would that have been some bragging rights for me personally. But alas the "flyer".

Yours could be some more stock issues. Could be some bullet runout. Could be loading issues. Could be some human error. I'd shoot some groups at further ranges and you'll maximize your problems and this could help narrow it down. But in real time you should be able to shoot multiple groups in session without much change in impact. If that was not true then the 1000 yard bench rest shooters would be in trouble. They run 10 shots in a quicker manner to keep most of the elements the same during that one group setting.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lol I'll chime in...

8 years in the USMC and have my 12 award expert was series high shooter at Paris island 1984... Was range high shooter prob 6 out of those 12 trips to the range with a high score of 246... Was invited to try out for the intramural shooting team... I buy a gun and if it doe sent shoot 1moa or really close I get ride of it I have 2 rifle that I will never part with... Browning A Bolt 7mm Mag shoots sub MOA with win pp ammo next is my Rem CDL 7mm-08 pretty much will keep every thing I shoot threw it right at 1" or better if I do my part...

And as far as off hand nothing but possibles ever string of fire... If some one wanted to mess with somebody in the butts they would put there cover on the back of my target and get 10 hole in it... Little smaller than a paper plate and a little farther than 100 yards

Last edited by Mr. Longbeard; 04-23-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:49 PM
Spike

With advances in technology, manufacturing and metallurgy any rifle you buy is MOA accurate out of the box, ....unfortunately the shooter isn't.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Missed this thread until this AM. I see one member has posted a crock of baloney under two different usernames and all I can say is it's a sad day when a person thinks hitting a pie plate at one hundred yards is good enough and goes to the range once a year whether he needs to or not, and yet calls himself a hunter! What a crock and sad, very very sad!!!
Old 05-27-2014, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Missed this thread until this AM. I see one member has posted a crock of baloney under two different usernames and all I can say is it's a sad day when a person thinks hitting a pie plate at one hundred yards is good enough and goes to the range once a year whether he needs to or not, and yet calls himself a hunter! What a crock and sad, very very sad!!!
Do u really have no life?
I find it odd that you spend all year at the range and maybe a week hunting out of every year and call yourself a hunter.
Like I said before y'all must not have ever been to west md
It's not farm land where you can see for miles.
It old growth oak, now try to get this through your thick f'n head it is ALL old growth oak. No need to sight in further than Your bullet can travel. But you're probably a flat lander... And wouldn't understand.

Clearly you have never had any training in logical thinking
Old 05-27-2014, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by westMDbowhunter
Do u really have no life?
I find it odd that you spend all year at the range and maybe a week hunting out of every year and call yourself a hunter.
Like I said before y'all must not have ever been to west md
It's not farm land where you can see for miles.
It old growth oak, now try to get this through your thick f'n head it is ALL old growth oak. No need to sight in further than Your bullet can travel. But you're probably a flat lander... And wouldn't understand.

Clearly you have never had any training in logical thinking

***LOL! FYI I was on the road for 3 months out west in four different states (NV, OR, NM, and WY) last year for bighorn sheep, elk, mule deer, antelope and then a week hunting pheasants over my pointer in ND before coming back here to MI to hunt whitetails in areas as thick or thicker than where you're talking about, so take your smarts on practicing somewhere else booby and keep right on with your "pieplate patterns!!!
Old 05-28-2014, 02:20 AM
Typical Buck

Back to the gun thing, I think ammo makes a huge difference. I picked up a .243 99 Savage a few years back but did not want to reload for it. I bought a box each of the "Big three" and headed to the range. The Winchester and Federal I could not get better than 6" at 100 yards. The Winchester and Federal also extracted kind of "Stickey", a sign of a hot load. The Remington was right in there and extracted smooth as could be. Lots of things affect shooting. I usually take along a rifle that I know is dead nut when I go to the range. That way I can check if I am having a bad day or it may be the rifle.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Gunplummer
Back to the gun thing, I think ammo makes a huge difference. I picked up a .243 99 Savage a few years back but did not want to reload for it. I bought a box each of the "Big three" and headed to the range. The Winchester and Federal I could not get better than 6" at 100 yards. The Winchester and Federal also extracted kind of "Stickey", a sign of a hot load. The Remington was right in there and extracted smooth as could be. Lots of things affect shooting. I usually take along a rifle that I know is dead nut when I go to the range. That way I can check if I am having a bad day or it may be the rifle.
***I hope you're talking about a used rifle because the comments you made about 6" accuracy and sticky extraction sure doesn't sound like anything that would happen with a new rifle, especially a Savage .243 using factory ammo.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 05-28-2014 at 04:41 AM.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:26 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
***LOL! FYI I was on the road for 3 months out west in four different states (NV, OR, NM, and WY) last year for bighorn sheep, elk, mule deer, antelope and then a week hunting pheasants over my pointer in ND before coming back here to MI to hunt whitetails in areas as thick or thicker than where you're talking about, so take your smarts on practicing somewhere else booby and keep right on with your "pieplate patterns!!!
Whatever flat lander
All I ever said was practice practically

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.