Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Most accurate rifle

Old 03-17-2014, 06:03 AM
Spike

saur, the 3 in and 2 out points to seating depth, check your throat length, establish a max COL and seat .006-,010 under that, see how it does.
RR
RR I called Hornady about seating depth and they said to seat the bullet no closer than .020 thousands off the lands because of pressure, can I go closer without excessive pressure? So far I have used a dial caliper to measure the coal and all were within .05 of an inch of each other. I do have a comparter(spelling) and have used it but usually I fist try to get a decent load worked up and then fine tune it. How critical is seating depth anyway? I have been able to get good results with other rifles but just going with the longest coal the book says with a dial caliper.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

yes you can, but drop your charge and work back up, some rifles like jump, some don't, I'd set it .010 off the lands and try a 5 shot group, if your at 20, and .010 doesn't help, try .030 off, my 6.5 gibbs shoots best at .030 off, my 7mm Allen magnum likes them jammed .006.
your velocity may be a tad lower closer to the lands at the same pressure but it may be what your rifle prefers. hope this helps.
RR
Old 03-18-2014, 02:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
yup, another guy who pulls the rifle out a week before season, makes sure its "minute of 5 gallon bucket" and goes to the woods.
RR
Scary aint it,glad I hunt private property!
Old 03-18-2014, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jerry d
Scary aint it,glad I hunt private property!
bandwagon much? Read the whole thread.
I hunt only 300 acres of private and it's THICK
ALL shot opportunities are inside if 90 yards
Which dictates why I only sight in to 100
the reason I pull my rifle out the week before season is because rifle hunting is stupid simple, any 10 year old can do it.
Some of us already know where the buck will be and set up 50 yards from where he's gonna walk.
Not all of us are looking for deer some already know the exact trail they will be on and when.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by logancbeeman
bandwagon much? Read the whole thread.
I hunt only 300 acres of private and it's THICK
ALL shot opportunities are inside if 90 yards
Which dictates why I only sight in to 100
the reason I pull my rifle out the week before season is because rifle hunting is stupid simple, any 10 year old can do it.
Some of us already know where the buck will be and set up 50 yards from where he's gonna walk.
Not all of us are looking for deer some already know the exact trail they will be on and when.

Logan,

You sure make it sound pretty easy !!! LOL

Old 03-18-2014, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

If I ever go out pronhorn hunting I might sight for 300 and buy some shooting sticks or use a rest or something but these are whitetails. And if you know their patterns it's easy to get in close.
And since our bow season comes in sept 7 I have two months to watch and learn those patterns and when rifle season comes in I know the exact trails specific deer use. Most times I am hunting a specific buck in rifle.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Logan,

You sure make it sound pretty easy !!! LOL

Isn't it?
I spend two months hunting deer before rifle comes In idk I just know where they are. of course I don't always get the exact deer I want but I fill my tags and eat steak all year lol which is what it's all about.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:46 AM
Spike

To the OP's original question, here's my limited experience:

Weatherby Vanguard S2 Varmint Special in .22-250, shoots under an inch 5 shot groups at 300 yards with hand loaded 55 grain SGK HPBT, closer to 1.5" 5 shot groups with 40 grain Nosler Varmageddon FPHP

Weatherby Vanguard S2 Synthetic in .308, doesn't shoot the 150 grains Nosler Accubonds all that well, something like 8" groups at 400 yards. Going to try 165 grain Nosler Accubonds this afternoon

My brother and I had identical Browning A Bolt II Synthetic rifles in .270. I got his to shoot under an inch with handloads at 100 yards, couldn't get mine to shoot under 3". I think there's a headspace issue with that rifle, probably need to send it back.

My dad's Remington 700 SPS in .223 shoots 1.20" 5 shoot groups at 300 with hand loaded 55 gr SGK SPBTs.

Just more data points for you
Old 03-22-2014, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

The most accurate rifle I have is a Sako L691 (circa 1994) in 300 WBY. On a bad day I'll shoot a 3/4" group (3 shots) at 100 yards. On a good day, those groups will shrink significantly.

With that said, my son and I have Marlin 336s (circa 1971) that I can get a little over 1/2" groups with at 100 yards (3 shot) with Hornady Leverevolution ammo.

Last edited by GRIZZLYMAN; 03-22-2014 at 07:14 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:47 PM
Spike

This is the OP, I will not give up, I wish I could get groups like some here. What irks me was I had a gunsmith bed the stock, lap the barrel and do make sure the crown is correct on the Vanguard and I still can't get a decent 4-5 shot group. I can get decent 3 shot group one time and the next time out with the EXACT reloads it will not preform like it did the first time. It seems I always get a flyer after the 2nd or 3rd shot. I am shooting in MN in Feb/March and I let the barrel cool down between shots(doesn't take long in this weather) Going to try some new reloads next week and if that does not help rifle is going back to the smith.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.