Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
460 s&w vs 454 casull vs 500 s&w >

460 s&w vs 454 casull vs 500 s&w

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

460 s&w vs 454 casull vs 500 s&w

Old 03-27-2014, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by burniegoeasily
I'm not sure. The 460s are considerably longer than the casulls.
Reloading mag cases with combo dies always makes me itch. Supposedly it doesn't effect anything, and experience agrees. I've been using .357mag/.38spcl dies on .357mag cases and .44mag/44spcl for .44mag for over 15yrs, and I know there are guys that have reloaded "oo-gobs" more rounds than I have for a lot longer than I with similar results.

I have had guys tell me that full length sizing isn't necessary, and can actually be negative for pistol cases, since it work hardens the web, but I'm not 100% on that koolaid. But, I do buy that the only sizing I need is enough to get it to chamber, and enough to keep my bullets from dropping all the way into the case.

Since I shot .45's in CAS/SASS before I bought a 454, I had .45C dies, and I went ahead and bought .454C dies when I got the SRH. Say what you will about Lee, but all of mine are Lee Carbide's, and they keep me very happy.

I'd be surprised to find out the .45colt or .454C dies won't reload .460's just fine, even though they won't full length size completely, but I'd be very interested to know if they won't. So if/when you DO find out, lemme know!!

I think I will primarily shoot 460s. Casulls are Ok, but with the ability to shoot 460s I see no need for the smaller Casulls. And for 45s, ive got plenty of guns that shoot long colts.
I'm prone to be a little OCD about shooting shorter cartridges in my revolvers. I run probably 30-40% .45colts out of my 454's, but I haven't touched a .44spcl in over 10yrs, and I never run .38's in my .357's. My wife does, and it makes me itch to no end, especially in her Talo engraved SP-101 - just thinking about those rings burning into those beautiful cylinders...

Just curious whether a guy has to get a new set of dies for the .460 S&W since I was assuming you already had them for the .45C and .454C.

Also gotta shake anybody's hand that says the words "I see no need for the SMALLER cassulls." Lol!!! Even factoring the weight of the X-frames or BFR's, the S&W's are no slouch, and hit harder in hand than the Cassull, which is generally considered to be WELL over the tolerance threshhold of most shooters! Kinda like saying the .338WM is small!
Old 03-28-2014, 09:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Im in the same boat. I reload my 44 mags with a 44sp/44mag die set as well as 357 with a 357/38sp die set. Once I get a little more empty brass I am going to be loading up some 460s. I have not done any research, or even looked up loads yet, but I assume H110 should be a good powder.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Quote:
I think I will primarily shoot 460s. Casulls are Ok, but with the ability to shoot 460s I see no need for the smaller Casulls. And for 45s, ive got plenty of guns that shoot long colts.

I'm prone to be a little OCD about shooting shorter cartridges in my revolvers. I run probably 30-40% .45colts out of my 454's, but I haven't touched a .44spcl in over 10yrs, and I never run .38's in my .357's. My wife does, and it makes me itch to no end, especially in her Talo engraved SP-101 - just thinking about those rings burning into those beautiful cylinders...

Just curious whether a guy has to get a new set of dies for the .460 S&W since I was assuming you already had them for the .45C and .454C.

Also gotta shake anybody's hand that says the words "I see no need for the SMALLER cassulls." Lol!!! Even factoring the weight of the X-frames or BFR's, the S&W's are no slouch, and hit harder in hand than the Cassull, which is generally considered to be WELL over the tolerance threshhold of most shooters! Kinda like saying the .338WM is small!
Me too. The idea of high pressures with a lot of cylinder travel just does not make me feel comfortable about cone longevity. With that said, my daughter loves shooting 38 sp (not +P) out of her 357s. And she puts hundreds up on hundreds of rounds through hers each year. She is now 16 and has been feeding it a steady diet since she was 13.

AS for the dies. I have a separate casull die and a couple of colts. I think, at the least, order dies for the 460. That way I do not have to do anything but tweek them instead of having to adjust them back and forth for different cartridges.

Funny you mention a 338. I just traded off a 338 rum because I never shot it. With 30-06, 7mm rums, and 300 wby, I never pulled the cannon out of the safe. And if I found something that my 300 wby could not kill in the lower 48 states, it probably should just be left alone. Lol.

Last edited by burniegoeasily; 03-28-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Went out today and put another 100 rounds of 460s through it. Buffalo Bore and Hornady. Cronied a few. Or i should say i got readings on the ones that did not blow the cronie all over the place. 2500 fps with a 200 grain bullet and 2100 fps on a 300 grain bullet is not bad. And crazy accurate. i really need to get to reloading, if not this gun is going to put me in the poor house. I am digging the crap out of it. Cant wait for hunting season.

Last edited by burniegoeasily; 03-29-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Went out today and put another 100 rounds of 460s through it. Buffalo Bore and Hornady. Cronied a few. Or i should say i got readings on the ones that did not blow the cronie all over the place. 2500 fps with a 200 grain bullet and 2100 fps on a 300 grain bullet is not bad. And crazy accurate. i really need to get to reloading, if not this gun is going to put me in the poor house. I am digging the crap out of it. Cant wait for hunting season.
The 460 is a REAL blast to shoot no matter what you are shooting!!! I have used my 454C dies to resize/deprime my 460 brass just out of S&G's and then sized some in the 460 die right beside it. Kept all seperate. Mic'd them, found no difference other than that I knew who was which. I will however only use the 460 expander and seating die to finish the round out. I use RCBS Carbide dies.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

a guy here shot a so called friend that was gonna rob him.he shot him with a 454 at about 12 inches 3 times,kilt him ded
Old 04-14-2014, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jdhogg
a guy here shot a so called friend that was gonna rob him.he shot him with a 454 at about 12 inches 3 times,kilt him ded
Muzzle blast could have done that at that distance!!!! Could have saved the other 2 shots.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im in the same boat. I reload my 44 mags with a 44sp/44mag die set as well as 357 with a 357/38sp die set. Once I get a little more empty brass I am going to be loading up some 460s. I have not done any research, or even looked up loads yet, but I assume H110 should be a good powder.
I have been loading a lot of Lil Gun in my 460 with GREAT results out to 200yds with a Horn Flex Tip projectile. Taught a Hunter Safety Educ. class this past weekend and on the 2nd day they get to have hands on for shooting trap and skeet. I was asked about my 460 during class for myself and several instructors bring weapons for the students to see.
So I shot a 5gal cooking oil jug at about 40yds full of water sitting atop a 5gal bucket. It hit with such force that it left a 1/2" deep ring in the dirt from the downward force and split the bucket from the center injection point to the edge of the bucket!!!!! And I hit the jug in the upper 2/3rds of it!!!!! About a 10 foot water ring. Now thats power!!!!!
Old 04-15-2014, 10:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by SecondChance
I have been loading a lot of Lil Gun in my 460 with GREAT results out to 200yds with a Horn Flex Tip projectile. Taught a Hunter Safety Educ. class this past weekend and on the 2nd day they get to have hands on for shooting trap and skeet. I was asked about my 460 during class for myself and several instructors bring weapons for the students to see.
So I shot a 5gal cooking oil jug at about 40yds full of water sitting atop a 5gal bucket. It hit with such force that it left a 1/2" deep ring in the dirt from the downward force and split the bucket from the center injection point to the edge of the bucket!!!!! And I hit the jug in the upper 2/3rds of it!!!!! About a 10 foot water ring. Now thats power!!!!!
With the tighter crimps of the 460 and 454, will it reduce the cone erosion that is notorious with 44 mags and light weight bullets? I was thinking of H 100.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

With the tighter crimps of the 460 and 454, will it reduce the cone erosion that is notorious with 44 mags and light weight bullets? I was thinking of H 100.
I just chronied my 460 loads with those 225 FlexTips and Lil Gun and they r running 1850-1871fps. 10 rnds. I have not tried any other powders for I really like the way Lil Gun meters and performs. Clean and consistant.