HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Scope Mount for Winchester 94 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/389200-scope-mount-winchester-94-a.html)

edmehlig 01-24-2014 03:34 AM

Scope Mount for Winchester 94

I'm thinking of purchasing a Winchester 94 made in 1977 for my grandson's first rifle. It has the top eject and was wondering if there is a scope mount that will enable you to mount a scope over the top of the rifle. I know they make side mounts, but from the pictures it appears the scope is off to the side of the rifle??? If not, I'll mount a Lyman Peep sight on it.

Thanks..Ed

bugsNbows 01-24-2014 07:08 AM

I would not scope it as it (potentially) alters the balance. I have a win 94 that did have a mounting plate installed (by Turnbill) that held a Burris FastFire II red dot. It was pretty sweet.

RobertSubnet 01-24-2014 08:38 AM

It has the top eject...
Top eject or angle eject? My '94 is angle eject for this very reason - so that you could mount a scope on it. Of course it is not as old as a '77.

RobertSubnet 01-24-2014 08:46 AM

Hhmm...nevermind my previous post. From Chuck Hawks:

As a result, changes have been made to the Model 94 design. The top ejection, which threw the empty cases basically straight up and over the shooter's shoulder, has been modified to permit conventional scope mounting. The so-called "angle ejection" became standard in 1982. A bit of the top right side of the receiver was milled away and the internals slightly modified to throw spent cases out at enough of an angle to the right to clear a centrally mounted scope.

Mr. Slim 01-24-2014 04:17 PM

with the side mounts on the top eject model 94 you also had to turn the scope so that the elevation became the windage and the windage became the elevation. this was done by rolling the scope to the left so the empty casings didn't hit the adjustment knob and jam the rifle.

flags 01-25-2014 04:18 AM

Put a peep sight on it. That's what I did with mine. It is amazing how accurate and fast a peep can be. That's why the military has used them for decades. Rugged and effective. What more can you ask for?

Pawildman 01-25-2014 06:23 AM

Aesthetically and visually a scope on a 94 Winchester is an abomination any way you look at it. Take the advice of the above post and put a good peep sight on it, one that comes with various sizes of aperatures that can be removed or changed. Many folks take out the aperature completely and only use the ring.

edmehlig 01-25-2014 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by flags (Post 4118327)
Put a peep sight on it. That's what I did with mine. It is amazing how accurate and fast a peep can be. That's why the military has used them for decades. Rugged and effective. What more can you ask for?

I agree with you 100%. I personally love a peep sight for hunting as well and was leaning towards that. Plus it might be easier for my grandson to learn to shoot.

rafsob 02-02-2014 08:28 PM

I have an angle eject model '94, but to my knowledge the scope base mounts are the same for your model:

I don't think you will have any problems with your setup!

ckell 02-10-2014 11:17 AM

use the peep, the model 94 was never really meant to have a scope. A scope sits to high on most all, making a good, repeatable cheek placement and weld, every shot very hard.